Could voting Labour in Con/Lab marginals help the SNP?

A few reasons why I'm beginning to think it might:

1) The Tories will go with UKIP or the Lib Dems, or the various Unionist parties in Northern Ireland if given the chance.

2) Labour will be wiped out in England if they go in a grand coalition just to stop the SNP.

ok, I could only think of 2 but there must be more.

I live in a Lab/Tory marginal so...

If you want to vote labour then vote for them.

I've been in the SNP for about 20 years now, I wish I was I had a pound for every time I was told 'yer vote doesn't matter'. I've sat at branch meetings in Kinross when it was me and the sec of the branch going 'there's no much point' but we both kept going.

I've been spat on, threatened, verbally abused, had on one occasion a punch thrown at me, ridiculed - especially on here, I've had my car scratched, my neighbour have a shouting match (we still haven't spoken since September when I called her 'aggressive') yet I have never once waivered in my belief that Scotland should be an independent country. The easy option would have been for me to become like the rest of the population, not give a shit and settle down to watch mind crushing, soul destroying crap telly and f**k those worse off than me.

102000 members now agree with me and 1.6m believed in the dream I had for as long as I have been politically aware.

So vote for who the f**k you want to vote for, and stop going on about tactical voting, it nips my tits.

Anyone that votes tactically is a fanny.

The FPTP system lends itself to tactical voting. Heck there are plenty guys on here that have said they would prefer to vote Green if given free choice but will vote SNP because they're the only alternative to Labour up here.

as Mr bairn alluded to, tactical voting takes many forms, such as the SNP supporters on here urging all people who want independence to vote for the SNP. Tactical voting is a necessary evil when you have fptp.

as Mr bairn alluded to, tactical voting takes many forms, such as the SNP supporters on here urging all people who want independence to vote for the SNP. Tactical voting is a necessary evil when you have fptp.

People who support independence voting SNP is hardly tactical given that independence is the very philosophy in which the party is built on.

People who support independence voting SNP is hardly tactical given that independence is the very philosophy in which the party is built on.

a vote for the SNP is not a vote for independence. Its a vote for free tuition fees and prescriptions, at least as long as a commitment to an independence referendum remains on the manifesto. You can vote SNP and not be interested in independence in the slightest, as I do.

Should have added and a negative b*****d to boot.

Voting for x to keep out y is the worst reason for voting IMO. Since there is no option on the ballot for "who did you really want to vote for", then the impact of tactical voting can only be guessed at.

As the SNP will show in May, if you have policies that people want then they will vote for you in sufficient numbers to make tactical voting redundant.

I think some people are being a little harsh here. For an awful lot of people a vote for the SNP is going to be a tactical one: they want more control over Scotland's affairs, and the SNP is best-placed to deliver that, so whether one disagrees with their ultimate policy of independence (and a considerable portion of their projected support will be from No voters) or on finer points of policy (as repeatedly shown, many progressive Scots match up better with the Greens in terms of specific politics) one will nonetheless vote for them.

I think some people are being a little harsh here. For an awful lot of people a vote for the SNP is going to be a tactical one: they want more control over Scotland's affairs, and the SNP is best-placed to deliver that, so whether one disagrees with their ultimate policy of independence (and a considerable portion of their projected support will be from No voters) or on finer points of policy (as repeatedly shown, many progressive Scots match up better with the Greens in terms of specific politics) one will nonetheless vote for them.

That is not a definition of tactical voting. Tactical voting is voting for someone other than your own preferred candidate to prevent the election of an even less desirable candidate.

I vote SNP but would class myself as right wing. I don't do this to keep Labour out, I do this as my main desire is to see an us Independent. When this happens, I will alter my vote to the party that most aligns with my preferences. This doesn't make my current vote a tactical one.

Never asked that. In your constituency, who do you want to vote for?

To be honest with you I don't even know anymore. On the 1 hand I don't see Labour as a long term solution. On the other, I think there would be a massive difference between a Labour and Tory government over the next 5 years. I would ideally like the greens to win the election but I know they won't. A Labour government pulled to the left by the SNP would certainly be preferable to a majority Labour government.

Archived