Harry Kane Hype

DeeTillEhDeh

Incredible achievement tbf. I'm sure Rooney himself will have liked to have done better at tournaments but there's no denying that he has been incredible for England over the years.

In what way has Rooney been 'incredible' for England?

What, of note, has he done on the world stages in an England Jersey?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In what way has Rooney been 'incredible' for England?

What, of note, has he done on the world stages in an England Jersey?

I said he would of liked to have done better in tournaments, he hasn't and England teams in general haven't performed as well as they would like in finals. But playing 102 times for them and scoring 47 goals, 2 off scoring the most goals in England's history before he's even 30 is pretty incredible... Would you not agree?

I said he would of liked to have done better in tournaments. Playing 102 times for them and scoring 47 goals, 2 off scoring the most goals in England's history before he's even 30 is pretty incredible... Would you not agree?

no.

he has to win a world cup and survive a plane crash before he gets any credit from me.

I said he would of liked to have done better in tournaments, he hasn't and England teams in general haven't performed as well as they would like in finals. But playing 102 times for them and scoring 47 goals, 2 off scoring the most goals in England's history before he's even 30 is pretty incredible... Would you not agree?

Yeah, so he hasn't been incredible for England then? He's under-performed massively for England on a European and global stage.

World Cup 06 - sent off having made zero impact on recovery from injury.

World Cup 10 - zero impact & complained about England fans.

Euro 2012 - went out with a whimper, especially getting dominated off of Italy.

World Cup 14 - again, zero impact as England get papped out in the group stages.

He's been a good goalscorer for England but to suggest he's been 'incredible' for them is just absurd.

Yeah, so he hasn't been incredible for England then? He's under-performed massively for England on a European and global stage.

World Cup 14 - again, zero impact as England get papped out in the group stages.

He's been a good goalscorer for England but to suggest he's been 'incredible' for them is just absurd.

Most of his goals have been against diddies anyway. How many goals has he actually scored in major competitions?

Off-topic but seeing as he's been mentioned on the thread Rooney is now two goals off Bobby Charlton's all-time scoring record for England.

If he beats it, then surely this cements as him as an England great?

Don't get me wrong, the guy's an absolute walloper but it would be a major achievement.

I think it helps that england seem to get piss-easy qualifying groups most of the time, but i agree 40 something goals is impressive.

He still a c**t though.

Are there more international matches now than in the past? That would make it easier for modern players to score more.

According to Wikipedia England played 198 games between 1960 and 1979 (~ 10 games a year on average), and 185 between 2000 and 2015 (~ 12 games a year on average).

Rooney has 102 caps, Charlton has 106.

I actually think Rooney's scoring rate for England is impressive. The "problem" is that he never seems to be able to do it at major championships.

Yeah but it's not just him that's flopped at tournaments.... The whole team have underperformed time and time again at tournaments.

His record for England is superb.

It doesn't matter who he has scored against, a goals a goal, do goals only count when they're against the best teams in the world?

If he hasn't been brilliant for England and only scores against shite teams how come he's the only player to have scored so much?

He's away to become the highest scorer in the history of his country FFS! :lol:

Yeah but it's not just him that's flopped at tournaments.... The whole team have underperformed time and time again at tournaments.

His record for England is superb.

It doesn't matter who he has scored against, a goals a goal, do goals only count when they're against the best teams in the world?

If he hasn't been brilliant for England and only scores against shite teams how come he's the only player to have scored so much?

He's away to become the highest scorer in the history of his country FFS! :lol:

You said he's been an incredible player for England.

I'm just showing he clearly hasn't been.

You said he's been an incredible player for England.

I'm just showing he clearly hasn't been.

Except he has cause he's going to easily be the highest scorer in the history of the England international football team, how is that not incredible?

Except he has cause he's going to easily be the highest scorer in the history of the England international football team, how is that not incredible?

Because he hasn't.

What has he done in an England shirt that can be described as 'incredible'?

Just scoring goals doesn't make you an incredible player :lol:

For what it's worth.

Gary Lineker scored 48 in 80 caps.

Jimmy Greaves scored 44 in 57 caps.

Rooney has scored 47 in 102 caps.

Bobby Charlton scored 49 in 106 caps but was a pivotal part of the team that won the WC in 66.

Because he hasn't.

What has he done in an England shirt that can be described as 'incredible'?

Just scoring goals doesn't make you an incredible player :lol:

For what it's worth.

Gary Lineker scored 48 in 80 caps.

Jimmy Greaves scored 44 in 57 caps.

Rooney has scored 47 in 102 caps.

Bobby Charlton scored 49 in 106 caps but was a pivotal part of the team that won the WC in 66.

Where did I say it made him an incredible player?

I said he's been incredible for England...

Scoring the most goals in the history of a national team proves that, what do the caps have to do with anything? All that proves is that Rooneys been 1st choice his whole career and an important player.

Take away Rooney and what other player scores or plays that much in the last 11 year for England?

How many players have played for England? How many have been that important that they've played so many games and scored so many goals?

Of course he's been incredible for England. He's not even 30 either he's got plenty more caps and goals to come.

Will anywhere ever catch his cap or goal tally? I don't think so.

Where did I say it made him an incredible player?

I said he's been incredible for England...

Scoring the most goals in the history of a national team proves that, what do the caps have to do with anything? All that proves is that Rooneys been 1st choice his whole career and an important player.

Take away Rooney and what other player scores or plays that much in the last 11 year for England?

How many players have played for England? How many have been that important that they've played so many games and scored so many goals?

Of course he's been incredible for England. He's not even 30 either he's got plenty more caps and goals to come.

Will anywhere ever catch his cap or goal tally? I don't think so.

Please provide one example of something incredible he's done for England.

Comparable scenarois would be Owen scoring the hat trick in Germany, Beckham scoring the free kick against Greece.

Please provide one example of something incredible he's done for England.

Comparable scenarois would be Owen scoring the hat trick in Germany, Beckham scoring the free kick against Greece.

I said he's been incredible for England, I'm not on about providing one brilliant moment, I'm not saying it makes him the most talented player they have ever had.

I'm saying he will have the all time cap record, all time goals record, and will have captained his country for years, this has made him incredible for England, he's not even 30, nobody has done that and by the time he's finished maybe nobody else ever will. It's pretty clear that he's one of the English greats.

It's really not that difficult.

IMO England don't exactly under-perform at major tournaments, they perform at about their level, which is somewhere floating about between a top 16 and top 8 team in the world\europe as appropriate to the tourney. They are not guaranteed to qualify from their group, however it would be a poor showing in a weak group if they don't make it out, and if they went further than the next round it would be a good showing, and if they got through quarters it would be playing well above themselves.

May managed 27 goals last season...

:lol:

He did. Scoring those goals in a poor league earned him his big time move to... Sheffield Wednesday, a bang average Championship team, where he's not even been good. Definitely warrants the same hype as Harry Kane scoring in a genuinely decent league.

:lol:

He did. Scoring those goals in a poor league earned him his big time move to... Sheffield Wednesday, a bang average Championship team, where he's not even been good. Definitely warrants the same hype as Harry Kane scoring in a genuinely decent league.

The point was made by someone that the Scottish media would be hyping up any Scottish striker who scored 30 goals in a top flight as much as the English media are with Kane. I pointed out May virtually got this magical 30 goals in a top flight yet never really received masses of hype to the same degree, so his point was invalid.

Not sure what the problem is here.

Archived