Quadrophenia

Now, before I start, when I was younger I always thought Roger Daltrey was a bit of a fanny who liked fishing and for that reason I didn't think much of The Who. In fact when I was an impessionable age the band were pumping up rubbish like Squeeze Box.

Over the years though I got into them a bit, got the Greatest Hits, fast forwarding the songs after 1978 obviously when they came on.

Then about 10 years ago, I downloaded Quadrophenia from Limewire (RIP.) I listened to the tracks when they came on the ipod, didn't think much of them.

I bought the movie. Of course I liked it. It was Mods and Rockers. It was what I remembered growing up. It has Sting, Ray Winstone, Toyah Wilcox, Leslie Ash (when she was a looker), the lad from Metal Mickie and Phil Daniels. Great film, but not enough Who.

But the other week I finally bought the double album that is Quadrophenia. It is immense. For me, it is the best album any British band have ever dione, probably one of the best albums of all time, and sadly overlooked compared to the likes of Dark Side of the Moon.

Oh, and We are the Mods, we are the Mods. We are, we are, we are the Mods.

I always wanted to know what happened to Jimmy afterwards, did he just go back to London forget about being a mod & turn into his dad or did he end up a space cadet hippy? I think out of the 2 I'd rather he turned in to his dad?

I remember going to watch the film at the Odeon in Bolton in 79, I was still playing at being a punk but came out the pictures singing "we are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods".

Mad mad days.

Grimbo

Edited by Grim O'Grady

• 4 years later...