Any vets here?

I'm a vet, though I don't work in the UK anymore.

In IBD the steroids are the important part. They're about as strong an anti-inflammatory as you can get.

As for the other drug, it could be flagyl? It's an antibiotic/antiprotozoal, but it has a mild anti-inflammatory effect on the gut. If the drug's on back order you can request a prescription. Be nice about it though - if you're an arsehole they'll probably write you a shorter script. It's totally at the vet's discretion how long a prescription they give you.

Called them its got more syllables than that is flumoxatine or something anyway they say should have it by Friday. Glad to hear the steroid is the main one.

I've been double dosing her every few days with that, she is supposed to get half of one a day maybe every third or fourth day I give her a whole one to make up for not having the other one. Is that bad?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Called them its got more syllables than that is flumoxatine or something anyway they say should have it by Friday. Glad to hear the steroid is the main one.

I've been double dosing her every few days with that, she is supposed to get half of one a day maybe every third or fourth day I give her a whole one to make up for not having the other one. Is that bad?

It's your cat. Give it one whenever you like.

The only drug that sounds vaguely like flumoxatine is fluoxetine, which is prozac. It would be a strange treatmend for IBD! I've looked through the F's in the formulary but there's nothing really that you'd use in IBD.

Double dosing steroids intermittently is very bad - you're much more likely to get nasty side effects. If you're going to increase or decrease the dose it's best to do it slowly. If treatment's in stops and starts that could be why your cat's losing weight again.

Why would you give your cat a double dose of steroids to make up for not having an anti-inflammatory? :huh: Why would you not check if that's a good idea BEFORE giving it to your cat?

There should be some sort of fit and proper persons tests for folk who want pets.

The only drug that sounds vaguely like flumoxatine is fluoxetine, which is prozac. It would be a strange treatmend for IBD! I've looked through the F's in the formulary but there's nothing really that you'd use in IBD.

Double dosing steroids intermittently is very bad - you're much more likely to get nasty side effects. If you're going to increase or decrease the dose it's best to do it slowly. If treatment's in stops and starts that could be why your cat's losing weight again.

I feel quite bad about this now. Have only done it 3 or 4 times but won't anymore. Why would they give her prozac? Its a big chunky pill that is cream, she gets a quarter of one per day. Does that sound like what you're thinking about? Her treatment has been continuous not intermittent but obviously now only getting one of the pills.

I feel quite bad about this now. Have only done it 3 or 4 times but won't anymore. Why would they give her prozac? Its a big chunky pill that is cream, she gets a quarter of one per day. Does that sound like what you're thinking about? Her treatment has been continuous not intermittent but obviously now only getting one of the pills.

It's probably not prozac, I was just saying that it's the only drug I can think of with a similar sounding active ingredient. Let me know what it is on Friday, I'm curious.

You can by POM-V medicines online, just need the prescription from the vet. Vet UK, are one online shop or VetMedica are another I think, they change names all the time.

It me be a human medical product, which is why I would it could be harder to get. Also not sure if they can be sold online to you.

Ask your vet what product it is, if they sell it on an online store get it there.

Which steroid is she on ? Prednisolone?

Prednicare, so I'd imagine pretty similar.

I will let you know on Friday.

No reply from lichtie, maybe he's my vet and pissed off at me slagging them. They're actually quite good just couldn't understand how they could still not have them.

Prednicare, so I'd imagine pretty similar.

I will let you know on Friday.

No reply from lichtie, maybe he's my vet and pissed off at me slagging them. They're actually quite good just couldn't understand how they could still not have them.

He'll be busy in sugary.

Archived