School of Football

pinnig

Anyone here got kids in this SFA programme? My boy is in S1 and getting very little from it. The general football standard is poor, the kids behaviour is dreadful and he's on the verge of chucking it in. Be interested to know of others experience.

I can't speak from personal experience per se. The academic credentials for the one in Edinburgh are not fantastic in terms of scholarly achievement etc (below national average). Having said that I was talking to a guy from Motherwell at a game not so long back, whose kid was at the Football School over there. He loved it. He thought it was great. Bear in mind though it all depends on which school it is, and what the parental expectations are for their kids. Not sure this helps much but it's about as much as I know, We thought about investigating this option for our lad but there were other reasons we decided against it as well, but they were more personal than anything to do with the school itself.

Sorry to hear your lad isn't enjoying or benefiting from the programme in his area. As FM says it does seem to be a project that differs depending on the region. How does the programme work where you are?

Here, our pupils get 2 double sessions a week which start before and after school so they only really miss 2 classes. They also get 1 classroom session a week. This year our groups have had presentations on: respect, growth mindset, leadership, tactical analysis, food labelling, eat well plate, goal setting, football & business, football & the media, science within football and the S2/3 have just finished their self evaluation presentations which is certificated work. That's just off the top of my head, there has been a real emphasis to give the pupils a broad understanding of topics which link with other subjects in education.

I've heard really good things about Braidhurst as well, they are much further down the line than we are. Every year the programme is improving and the standard of applicants improves as they see the benefits.

Thanks BTID. He has also had the presentations you list and for the one period of classroom based activity a week he has found it fairly interesting. However, the daily period of football has become boring and repetitive. As a consequence, he's frustrated with those who still haven't grasped the basics. In his words 'we did this at u9s'. Bored 12 year olds then muck about and the behaviour of the boys is a real problem.

He expected it to be pitched at a higher level than it is and I am struggling to keep him engaged.

Forty Mile, was that the performance school at Braidhurst and do they have School of Football too?

I completely understand the draw of the Performance schools and heard good reports about them too. Kids travel miles to attend. From experience I wouldn't recommend moving a kid from their local school and travelling to a school of football.

Just hasn't been all it was portrayed.

Think part of the problem comes when the school identifies pupils who would benefit from the programme to improve their behaviour. That's when the link between the coach and school is important, I work closely and have great support from the PE dept so that if expectations are not met across the board - in SOF, in other classes, in other activities within school grounds they miss out.

I have seen a massive transformation with my older group they are brilliant to work with but we had to overcome some issues of work rate and attitude at the start. It takes time. I definitely think the introduction of double sessions has been good - gives us more time to work. 50 mins isn't enough by the time you get out and get changed.

The vast majority of kids, BTID, don't have behavioural issues and were selected on their 'football' ability. That's what's so disappointing. The football standard hasn't got better and the behaviour has got worse. I have no evidence for this but just feel the school would rather not have the programme at all. They seem to swing from ignoring what's going on there to threatening to scrap the whole thing. Perhaps it'll settle down but same kids, same coach, same routine doesn't fill me with confidence and I hate seeing my boy so down about the sport he loves.

That's really sad to hear. It's motto is person 1st player 2nd, so for me I focused on making sure before any progress can be made the group had to be cohesive and working together. We have such a small catchment area so there is varying levels of ability but that's ok, as long as each player meets the SOF values they'll progress.

I'm not 100% clued up on all other areas and what they do, I was pretty much left to my own devices with regards to the theory side as they used to just read through the books. All my stuff is interactive on the whiteboard, we have group work, video clips, pictures etc to make it more interesting and sneak in a few football gameshow quizzes if they do work well haha!

Do you not have parents night with the coach? I found it helped explain exactly what we did and how we linked with the school - parents seemed enthusiastic towards their child being part of it hadn't realised a lot which was going on.

Rigano yes this is a seperate programme funded by cash back for communities. Not solely based on ability but there are trials and interviews. We will have a record amount of requests for next year I think it has built well here.

"Forty Mile, was that the performance school at Braidhurst and do they have School of Football too?"

It was the performance school at Braidhurst this lad was talking about. I don't know about any other initiatives over there, sorry. That's all I know.

Again, thanks BTID. No there's not been a parents night with the coach but that might be an idea. There was a huge level on interest in SoF and many of the boys came from the same boys club. Not sure if that has a bearing or not. Can I ask if your SoF kids form the school team?

My S2/3 group has about half.

The majority of my S1 do - but id expect that as you must have an interest in football and we are a fairly small catchment like I say so the pool to select is also small.

• 5 weeks later...

Apologies for changing the direction of this thread a wee bit but as all contributors seem to be interested in youth issues. Does anyone have access to, or know if the CAS curriculum is published on the net anywhere? Thanks in advance lads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ive watched boys go through 5 years at said school and have to say imo ive been disappointed with the outcome, i expected vast improvements from the individuals but didnt see them progress any further than any other young footballers ive been coaching who are not at the school of football. expected better results. perhaps there will be that 1 or 2 who will excell from it,

ive watched boys go through 5 years at said school and have to say imo ive been disappointed with the outcome, i expected vast improvements from the individuals but didnt see them progress any further than any other young footballers ive been coaching who are not at the school of football. expected better results. perhaps there will be that 1 or 2 who will excell from it,

Considering it not even ran for 4 year I find your post rather misleading to say the least

Archived