Lugar Boswell Thistle 1878 - 2015?

Kennie

Well that’s it for me, but there are now serious doubts over the future of Lugar Boswell Thistle.

A meeting at Rosebank Park, held to see if anyone was interested in getting involved with the running of the club, produced only 2 offers of assistance. Unfortunately though, that help is limited due to the personal circumstances of those volunteers.

I have tendered my resignation following my doctor’s advice and a promise made to my wife and family.

Shirley Bradford, the club’s treasurer, is now the interim Secretary until either someone else can be found or till the end of the season.

Lugar Boswell Thistle will endeavour to see out the season, but after that, who knows?

If no help is forthcoming between now and the end of the season, it is almost certain that Lugar Boswell Thistle will be wound up and will not take out membership of the West Region of the SJFA for season 2015/16.

At this moment, I am totally heartbroken over this, but even if I was fit enough to continue, I reckon that without help this would still be the outcome.

I sincerely hope that there are people out there that do not want to see the demise of this great club and will step forward very soon before it is too late.

I would like to take this chance to apologise to George Grierson and Kevin Deeney for placing them in this position and again I hope people get involved quickly enough to give them assurances that Lugar will continue. It would be a shame if Lugar lost out on their services as along with Gary Russell and George Walker, they would be a massive loss to any team. Despite what some people seem to think of them, I know exactly what type of guys they truly are. None of them have taken a penny for their services but instead they actually put money in to the club and have been working tirelessly building the club and getting them where they are, one of the top 3 clubs in the District League and still in with a chance of promotion, a slight chance maybe following yesterday’s results elsewhere but a chance nonetheless.

Their understanding of my situation has been exemplary throughout and they have assured the committee that they will continue with the team management until at least the end of the season. It is also George’s intention to speak to the players at training on Monday to keep them abreast of the situation.

Kennie Young

Lugar Boswell Thistle Supporter

Well thats it for me, but there are now serious doubts over the future of Lugar Boswell Thistle.

A meeting at Rosebank Park, held to see if anyone was interested in getting involved with the running of the club, produced only 2 offers of assistance. Unfortunately though, that help is limited due to the personal circumstances of those volunteers.

I have tendered my resignation following my doctors advice and a promise made to my wife and family.

Shirley Bradford, the clubs treasurer, is now the interim Secretary until either someone else can be found or till the end of the season.

Lugar Boswell Thistle will endeavour to see out the season, but after that, who knows?

If no help is forthcoming between now and the end of the season, it is almost certain that Lugar Boswell Thistle will be wound up and will not take out membership of the West Region of the SJFA for season 2015/16.

At this moment, I am totally heartbroken over this, but even if I was fit enough to continue, I reckon that without help this would still be the outcome.

I sincerely hope that there are people out there that do not want to see the demise of this great club and will step forward very soon before it is too late.

I would like to take this chance to apologise to George Grierson and Kevin Deeney for placing them in this position and again I hope people get involved quickly enough to give them assurances that Lugar will continue. It would be a shame if Lugar lost out on their services as along with Gary Russell and George Walker, they would be a massive loss to any team. Despite what some people seem to think of them, I know exactly what type of guys they truly are. None of them have taken a penny for their services but instead they actually put money in to the club and have been working tirelessly building the club and getting them where they are, one of the top 3 clubs in the District League and still in with a chance of promotion, a slight chance maybe following yesterdays results elsewhere but a chance nonetheless.

Their understanding of my situation has been exemplary throughout and they have assured the committee that they will continue with the team management until at least the end of the season. It is also Georges intention to speak to the players at training on Monday to keep them abreast of the situation.

Kennie Young

Lugar Boswell Thistle Supporter

I don't for a second think that lugars current predicament is a one off here and I know loads of clubs who would collapse if certain parties get so dissilusioned that they walk ( my own club is the classic example and believe me we are very close to it)

Guys who do so much and who are the very willing few in doing so can only go on for so long and desperately need fresh blood to come in and give them a boost.

I've been a committee member at my own club for over ten years and sometimes you just feel like you need a fresh injection of people to give you a boost, something fresh always perks up the very few willing few and when there's no sign of it coming through then all junior clubs must worry as most junior committees are predominately filled with guys over 60 years old.

Personally I feel that I done my time/ service over 3 years ago and that I amongst others deserve to just turn up and enjoy the games and pay our fiver but when nobody else wants to step up to the plate then its like having a noose around your neck in trying to help keep your club going.

Nobody can look at this thread and think that lugar are alone in these woes as its a far bigger concern across the whole junior football spectrum believe me:(

Just out of pure interest what would a average committee size be at all the levels of junior football? Premier league 10? Super first or a tier two in east 6 or 7, district clubs 4 or 5?

Feel for teams like lugar a lot of your village teams small town teams are going to find it a lot more difficult as years go on as more and more younger people by that i mean 40 and younger move out of the areas for whatever reason family work etc.

Really hope lugar can pull through, must be soul destroying for kennie despite all the good memories he will have.

Just did count at my own team we have 10 committee, 2 guys who do a great job running bus.Playing the numbers game because my own team are from a decent sized town we have a fighting chance , a lot of your smaller towns and villages it must be a constant struggle to keep numbers up.

All the best to Lugar hope you can find some new committee before the end of the season to keep you going as a great long running Junior club.

You do wonder how most Junior teams keep going and it's usually just a handful of volunteers at each club that keep them going. Even the biggest Junior clubs with a few resignations or important figures passing away then would unfortunately struggle to continue.

Just out of pure interest what would a average committee size be at all the levels of junior football? Premier league 10? Super first or a tier two in east 6 or 7, district clubs 4 or 5?

Feel for teams like lugar a lot of your village teams small town teams are going to find it a lot more difficult as years go on as more and more younger people by that i mean 40 and younger move out of the areas for whatever reason family work etc.

Really hope lugar can pull through, must be soul destroying for kennie despite all the good memories he will have.

All depends Super First teams like Pollok have a far larger committee than ourselves-20 or so?

I do believe our local and most people would agree traditionally smaller rivals Irvine Vics have a larger committee (12) than Meadow (about 9 I think) for instance but we do have a lot of supporters who help either in Social Club and/or fundraising events or on gates in big games when need more bodies or even with programmes etc.

Just did count at my own team we have 10 committee, 2 guys who do a great job running bus.Playing the numbers game because my own team are from a decent sized town we have a fighting chance , a lot of your smaller towns and villages it must be a constant struggle to keep numbers up.

Chill out

I think all comittee members get into this position. You start giving a hand, build up some knowledge, take on a senior responsible role and suddenly your whole life revolves around this. You are critisised by guys whose only contribution is at times is to pay £2.50 at the gate and expect yo to have assembled barca to entertain them. Then come running costs. Suddenly you are responsible for the clubs running costs. When many of us are struggling to budget for the family home. A huge area that needs a more realistic debate than a East West Super League.

A plan that would assure clubs being able to survive should be developed and then there would be a change of attitude to the Super League. One of these areas are players expectations around wages and payments. When a club lose revenue around January/ February weather issues clubs are still contracted to be paid. The lawyers at the SFA were requested to review a contract window to assist club, I dont know if this was resolved. At regional level a more structured and balanced fixture list needs to be delivered before the calls from the keyboard critics are enacted by clubs at regional meetings. For some clubs like Lugar who are the oldest junior club in Ayrshire if I am not mistaken this needs to be sooner than later.

Horrible news I really hope Lugar can somehow come through this it would be a real tragedy if such a historic club was to vanish from junior football. I must admit it doesn't come as any great surprise that most of the smaller clubs are on the verge teams like Lugar, Craigmark etc. have struggled badly ever since the west merge its such a shame that these wee village clubs could disappear from the game sadly they are the victims of league reconstruction.

That's just wrong in my opinion they would be struggling for helpers, fans, committee weather they were playing in a west region ayrshire region or the top flight league in senior football.

Ayrshire leagues only , central leagues only or a combined league the same problem will persist.

The people who are in charge of junior football teams are getting old and will die off due to old age or through losing the will to keep continuing .

Why should they when new blood/ critics paying £2.50/£5.00 don't help at all despite heartfelt pleas ?

I think all comittee members get into this position. You start giving a hand, build up some knowledge, take on a senior responsible role and suddenly your whole life revolves around this. You are critisised by guys whose only contribution is at times is to pay £2.50 at the gate and expect yo to have assembled barca to entertain them. Then come running costs. Suddenly you are responsible for the clubs running costs. When many of us are struggling to budget for the family home. A huge area that needs a more realistic debate than a East West Super League.

A plan that would assure clubs being able to survive should be developed and then there would be a change of attitude to the Super League. One of these areas are players expectations around wages and payments. When a club lose revenue around January/ February weather issues clubs are still contracted to be paid. The lawyers at the SFA were requested to review a contract window to assist club, I dont know if this was resolved. At regional level a more structured and balanced fixture list needs to be delivered before the calls from the keyboard critics are enacted by clubs at regional meetings. For some clubs like Lugar who are the oldest junior club in Ayrshire if I am not mistaken this needs to be sooner than later.

Good interesting post.

In the lower divisions of Rugby League players only get paid when they actually take the field.

You say there would be an change in attitude towards the Super League...what are your views, what would you like to see implemented ?....always good to here the views of clubs like your own and Lugar rather than the top clubs agenda all the time.

There is of course the debate as to whether Lugar are in fact the oldest junior club....

Very sad just hope Lugar can manage to get the help required.

Ayrshire leagues only , central leagues only or a combined league the same problem will persist.

The people who are in charge of junior football teams are getting old and will die off due to old age or through losing the will to keep continuing .

Why should they when new blood/ critics paying £2.50/£5.00 don't help at all despite heartfelt pleas ?

Hope it all works out for Lugar and Newmains, but unfortunately I doubt those underlying trends are going to be reversed any time soon. Think a lot of district level clubs will eventually have to seriously consider whether they still belong in what is supposed to be a semi-pro setup when their local communities are completely apathetic towards them or whether they would be better off scaling back a bit to an amateur level of operations where there is no expectation of spectator interest.

Crossgates Primrose were also in the local paper this month talking of folding at the end of the season if they can't attract new committee members as I believe their management are currently running the club on and off the field.

Heartbreaking thread. Hope someone at Rosebank sticks their hand up to do the job but reading Hertha's post shows just how time consuming being a committee member is.

I also agree that this is the shape of things to come in the grade and when I read posts about 20-30 people at a match, I'm not surprised.

Maybe Tom and his cronies are happy to oversee a situation where members dwindle and the product is dying, I don't know.

Just wish Lugar Boswell Thistle all the best and, Kennie, you have no need to justify stepping down. You've more than done your bit!

I am a Talbot fan as most know, but like most of our support have a real soft spot for Lugar. Talbot have been in a similar position many years ago, and Lugar helped them out providing a strip if folklore correct, it would be nice if Talbot and the other bigger clubs in that area could do something. However, as has been said hard working committee men are the life blood, and this is true of my club, some of the work put in by certain individuals is astonishing. Lugar and Logan are small places, so finding enough people to do the job must be difficult. Perhaps though in times of adversity the community will galvanize round the club, if this happened I'm sure the rest of the Junior fraternity in the area could help.

Archived