The All New 2015 MLB thread

lichtie23

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't disagree more. He's worth every penny. All the key numbers over the last few years make him a top 5 outfielder in baseball, and he is only 26 so is a good bet to be excellent for years to come. Excellent defence and baserunning and a high contact OBP based hitter. What's not to like?

With the exception of 2012, when he was phenomenal across the board, he averages somewhere around 15 home runs and 60 RBI. Unless you worship at the alter of sabermetrics, he's a low average, bang-average power, defensive stud. Somewhere plonk in between Gerardo Parra and Hunter Pence. That's not a player I'd want for eight years at 23 million a year.

I like him, but he's nowhere near a top-five outfielder, even if you discount the lack of power.

The Cubs are all in, all now, but I'm not convinced they've made the right moves.

With the exception of 2012, when he was phenomenal across the board, he averages somewhere around 15 home runs and 60 RBI. Unless you worship at the alter of sabermetrics, he's a low average, bang-average power, defensive stud.

I get the feeling we evaluate players in a different way ;-) but i''d be pretty confident in saying Heyward will outdo both of those counts next year at Wrigley.

The chance to sign 26 year old free agents doesn't come along very often. It means the Cubs have Heyward for his peak years, and he has the chance to improve on his career numbers to date rather than regress like most free agent signings.

Of course, he may well just opt out of his deal after 3/4 years as the cubs seem to have given him that option as well. Right now i would expect him to opt out and get signed to an even more expensive contract in 3 years time.

Giants sign Johnny Cueto to pitch alongside Bumgarner, Shark, Peavy and Cain, and give them one of the top 3 rotations in all of MLB.

The NL West should be interesting in 2016.

With the exception of 2012, when he was phenomenal across the board, he averages somewhere around 15 home runs and 60 RBI. Unless you worship at the alter of sabermetrics, he's a low average, bang-average power, defensive stud. Somewhere plonk in between Gerardo Parra and Hunter Pence. That's not a player I'd want for eight years at 23 million a year.

I like him, but he's nowhere near a top-five outfielder, even if you discount the lack of power.

You don't have to "worship at the alter of sabermetrics" to know Jason Heyward is all shades of fantastic. Only Trout and McCutchen have been more valuable as OF's over the last three years.

It's also pretty unfair to judge a player like Heyward on HR's and RBI's. His isolated power numbers are good, so he does have power, it translates into doubles and triples rather than HR's, though. He also has very little influence on how many RBI's he hits, considering he can't do anything about getting the man in front of him on base. How many HR's and RBI should a guy that hits 2nd get in any case?

Heyward does absolutely everything extremely well, which is how he got the contract he did.

Also, on the other side of Chicago the White Sox seem to be making moves, just got Todd Frazier and are in the process of a trade with the Dodgers involving their top prospect, so I presume a fairly hefty return.

• 2 weeks later...

Yankees get Chapman, certianly didn't expect to read that when I opened Twitter!

On the baseball side of things, great move.

With Miller, Betances and Chapman, I don't see the Yankees losing very many leads they take in to the 7th inning.

On the non-baseball side of things, I'm not sure why they got involved with all the baggage Chapman now comes with, including a possible suspension.

Looks like the Yanks are happy with gun-toting, spouse-abusers........Definitely no facial hair though!!!

On the baseball side of things, great move.

With Miller, Betances and Chapman, I don't see the Yankees losing very many leads they take in to the 7th inning.

On the non-baseball side of things, I'm not sure why they got involved with all the baggage Chapman now comes with, including a possible suspension.

Looks like the Yanks are happy with gun-toting, spouse-abusers........Definitely no facial hair though!!!

Yeah our bullpen is unstoppable right now, although it wouldn't surprise me if Miller is dealt away. If Chapman gets a suspension bigger than 44 days I think it is, we get an extra year out of him as it would mean he doesn't become FA eligible to 2018.

Rumours resurfacing about the Cubs wanting to trade for a closer - Miller now expendable from the Yanks? Keeping Miller/Betances/Chapman together would be an embarrassment of riches and Miller seems the most likely to be moved with his salary. Hard to see an obvious match for a trade though - Cubs don't have any pitching to spare and think highly of all their young position players.

Kazmir has a 1-year opt-out in his contract with the Dodgers. If he has a good year in 2016 he'd be well worth opting out as next year's free agent class is TERRIBLE.

Dodgers get Cuban RHP Yasiel Sierra, the rotation depth they have just now is incredible, wouldn't surprise me if they use some of these guys to go after Fernandez, especially since the Marlins are closing in on Chen.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived