115,000 SNP Members

Colkitto

I'm not even a member. :o

Neither am I.

Reluctant to join a political party as it means I'm basically assuring them of a vote for life. Mind you until we're independent I can't really envisage voting for another party.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither am I.

Reluctant to join a political party as it means I'm basically assuring them of a vote for life. Mind you until we're independent I can't really envisage voting for another party.

Tell that to the many defectors who have switched parties.

Reg Prentice (Labour to Tory)

Christopher Brocklebank-Fowler (Tory to SDP)

Shaun Woodward (Tory to Labour)

Emma Nicholson (Tory to Lib Dem)

Quentin Davies (Tory to Labour)

Douglas Carswell (Tory to UKIP)

Mark Reckless (Tory to UKIP)

Add the likes of the SDP's Labour defectors, e.g. Shirley Williams, David Owen, Bill Rodgers, Bruce Douglas-Mann. Then there's Vince Cable who was a Labour councillor in Glasgow before defecting to the SDP and is now a Lib Dem member of Camoron's cabinet.

Liz Truss, Tory cabinet minister, was a Lib Dem. Anna Soubry, current Tory Minister, defected to the SDP and back. George Eustice MP, Environment Minister, was a UKIP candidate. Helen Grant, another Tory Minister defected from Labour. Rishi Chishti MP (Tory) fought Horsham for Labour in 2005.

In Brussels, defectors in recent years include

Edward McMillan-Scott (Tory to Lib Dem)

Sajid Karim (Lib to Tory)

Roger Helmer (Tory to UKIP)

Marta Andreasen (UKIP to Tory)

David Campbell-Bannerman (UKIP to Tory and former Tory candidate before defection to UKIP)

Amjad Bashir (UKIP to Tory)

And politicians often wonder why they aren't trusted?

Full list here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_politicians_who_have_crossed_the_floor

Love the sound of Charles Watkin Williams-Wynn who swapped sides three times in the 1800's

Most listed are losing the whip and technically an independent, but there have been a fair number of defections over the years

Neither am I.

Does it mince. I'm on about my 4th party now.

Had we voted Yes I would have joined another.

Churchill defected from the Tories to the Liberals and back. IIRC, he represented at least four constituencies - Oldham, Manchester North, Dundee and Epping Forest.

But not all at the same time, of course.

I never thought i would get to be a political hipster but I was in the snp before it was cool.

Same,

I'm a glory hunter, joined after the Referendum result with absolutely no idea that I would be one of thousands.

Was an active Labour Party member for 20 years but gave up on them almost 20 years ago. Never thought I would join another political party!

My dad was an SNP voter all his life. I remember him constantly being told by smug labour voters in the early 70s that his was a "wasted vote". His reply would be "It's only a wasted vote if you don't use it".

Seeing and hearing his passion for his country even post 79 made it a no brainer for me to follow the same path even when it did not seem we would see a Scottish government in our lifetime.

I have never joined the party yet voted for them at every election for the last 32 years including getting up at 5am on 18th Sep, putting flyers through doors for 3 hrs then going to work then back to door knocking right until 9pm.

I went to his grave on the 18th and stuck a wee saltire on it and went back on the 19th to say that we fought a good fight and that Independence wiould come one day. Little did I think that the groundswell of opinion would be even stronger within a year.

Not sure, but any city that can vote for an prohabitionist rather than a future WWII prime minister long before the SNP were formed must have a wee devilish side when it comes to politics.

That said, when I grew up Labour were still THE party in Scotland and in Dundee but I also grew up on stories of how those in power were corrupt and how they ripped the heart out the city in the 60s more for personal gain under the guise of modern planning (which the city is only beginning to recover from now). Whether this is accurate or not I am unsure but that was certainly the feeling by many.

Add to that the issues surrounding the various Labour clubs in the 80s was another reason that many felt they might not be all they seem and led to the slow loosening of their grip on the city voting patterns.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19871107&id=xDY1AAAAIBAJ&sjid=NKYLAAAAIBAJ&pg=6082,1909794&hl=en

Nail on head GEF ;-)

My dad was an SNP voter all his life. I remember him constantly being told by smug labour voters in the early 70s that his was a "wasted vote". His reply would be "It's only a wasted vote if you don't use it".

Seeing and hearing his passion for his country even post 79 made it a no brainer for me to follow the same path even when it did not seem we would see a Scottish government in our lifetime.

I have never joined the party yet voted for them at every election for the last 32 years including getting up at 5am on 18th Sep, putting flyers through doors for 3 hrs then going to work then back to door knocking right until 9pm.

I went to his grave on the 18th and stuck a wee saltire on it and went back on the 19th to say that we fought a good fight and that Independence wiould come one day. Little did I think that the groundswell of opinion would be even stronger within a year.

It was a good clean fight unlike the bullying and intimidation coming from the No side

Archived