3 Horse race

That there is better football in a higher league shouldn't be a surprise - though it seems otherwise to some posters here. That's how a league system works y'know. The better you are the higher up the league you stand. If you're in this division of the league then that is where you deserve to be until you EARN the right to play with better teams. Looking down your nose at other clubs just gets you a reputation as arrogant.

The idea is to strive to get better. Much of the pleasure to be got from watching lower divisions is that you often get more honest endeavour from the players on the park. The players aren't playing for the money so much as the glory of winning and the pleasure of being involved in a team.

I'd rather watch a team of part-timers playing, or trying to play, to the best of their abilities and working for and with each other than a set of full-time players turning up expecting to stroll through the opposition.

If you're suggesting that the Morton team haven't worked hard, or have been turning up trying to stroll through matches, then you'd been wrong. This has been a very hard working and honest Morton team this season. Players like Stef McCluskey and Sean Crighton certainly aren't lacking in effort.

I also don't think it's right to suggest that players higher up the leagues don't work as hard. You get all sorts at all levels, but players have usually put on the effort to get where they are. You do often get players on the way down who don't seem interested, but that happens at all levels as well.

I find it strange how Morton fans, who have seen a decent amount of football at this level in the last 15 years, aren't allowed to think this is the about the poorest standard they've seen. Dismissing an alternative view as simply being arrogant is a bit self defeating really.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it strange how Morton fans, who have seen a decent amount of football at this level in the last 15 years, aren't allowed to think this is the about the poorest standard they've seen. Dismissing an alternative view as simply being arrogant is a bit self defeating really.

Because it seems as though some of you are trying to belittle the achievement of winning this league because it isn't as good as previous years.

If Stranraer or Forfar win this title it'll be a huge accomplishment for them. It doesn't matter that this year's competition wasn't of as high a standard as three years ago, six years ago etc. Clubs our size winning the third tier title is huge.

It feels almost disrespectful to the likes of ourselves, Stranraer and Brechin that you guys are so vehement about the league being shit. The three of us have done incredibly well this year and there's a good chance two of those three could get promoted together.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but that's just how I'm reading these comments. It seems petulant.

Because it seems as though some of you are trying to belittle the achievement of winning this league because it isn't as good as previous years.

If Stranraer or Forfar win this title it'll be a huge accomplishment for them. It doesn't matter that this year's competition wasn't of as high a standard as three years ago, six years ago etc. Clubs our size winning the third tier title is huge.

It feels almost disrespectful to the likes of ourselves, Stranraer and Brechin that you guys are so vehement about the league being shit. The three of us have done incredibly well this year and there's a good chance two of those three could get promoted together.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but that's just how I'm reading these comments. It seems petulant.

Spot on post.

I think you admit yourself that this league has been easier this season because there hasn't been a Rangers/QotS/Livi/Raith/Ross County who have pulled away from the rest. The failure of Morton and Dunfermline to play to that kind of standard (or even Dunfermline's own standard from last season) has really opened up the league. As good as the achievements of teams like Forfar and Stranraer have been, this league has been there for the taking for a really decent side.

In terms of the standard, as I said before, there have been so many times this season where Morton have gift wrapped a game for the opposition but they just haven't taken it. I think that's a big part of the poor quality argument.

Btw, of course there are some Morton fans who come across as really quite arrogant, that's just their game. But I don't think it's the reason why they think the quality hasn't been great. To me it's 3 usual playoff contenders fighting it out for the title, that's what it feels like.

That there is better football in a higher league shouldn't be a surprise - though it seems otherwise to some posters here. That's how a league system works y'know. The better you are the higher up the league you stand.

Except that we aren't comparing this division with higher divisions for the purpose of this argument; we're comparing it with the same division just a few years ago, as well as an even lower division in which many of the dross in this league would have been mediocre cannon-fodder.

Do keep up.

If you're in this division of the league then that is where you deserve to be until you EARN the right to play with better teams. Looking down your nose at other clubs just gets you a reputation as arrogant.

The idea is to strive to get better. Much of the pleasure to be got from watching lower divisions is that you often get more honest endeavour from the players on the park. The players aren't playing for the money so much as the glory of winning and the pleasure of being involved in a team.

Only if you think it's arrogant for Leicester to have had higher expectations than Yeovil in last season's Championship, or Everton to have higher expectations than Burnley at the moment. Again, crying about arrogance must have you sobbing your eyes out about literally every single league in European football; if it doesn't then get off your cross about it when your club is on the receiving end.

Hypocrite.

I'd rather watch a team of part-timers playing, or trying to play, to the best of their abilities and working for and with each other than a set of full-time players turning up expecting to stroll through the opposition.

Erm yes: because those part-timers working down a uranium mine until 2pm on Saturday like, erm, Willie Gibson, Callum Tapping or Rory McAllister are the only players capable of "playing to the best of their abilities and with each other."

:1eye

It is however notable that the supporters in this case disagree with your claim; given that the strolling full-timers continue to draw comfortably the largest crowds to their matches.

You've clearly not done "incredibly well" if you're still scrapping it out with a Jim Duffy led omni-shambles. I'm sure that there have been genuinely excellent part-time sides in this division before, but this particular league contains none of them.

If you took your 'big achievement' blinkers off then you'd be in a better position to judge the actual standard of this league. Which is utterly shit.

You've clearly not done "incredibly well" if you're still scrapping it out with a Jim Duffy led omni-shambles. I'm sure that there have been genuinely excellent part-time sides in this division before, but this particular league contains none of them.

If you took your 'big achievement' blinkers off then you'd be in a better position to judge the actual standard of this league. Which is utterly shit.

Why do you have to sneer at everyone else's opinion?

People would possibly respect you more if you could actually debate sensibly instead of taking a David Cameronesque stance on anything that you don't agree with .

I say possibly in the loosest possible way , as you have spouted so much shite in the past that no one can now take you seriously.

Why do you have to sneer at everyone else's opinion?

People would possibly respect you more if you could actually debate sensibly instead of taking a David Cameronesque stance on anything that you don't agree with .

I say possibly in the loosest possible way , as you have spouted so much shite in the past that no one can now take you seriously.

Sour grapes from VT, you are getting him rattled

The facts are we are all in the third tier of Scottish football, in a wee cold and wet country of 5 million people; who don't have football as the no.1 sport for kids anymore. I am actually surprised at the talent that gets into pro. football, but I am totally dismayed at the standard of coaching that then fails them.

The one or two rising stars (and no, we ain't got one) in football management in Scotland can make a huge difference to the team. I don't think our hero chairman actually has a blind spot to miss them, just unfortunately it seems they are too smart to work under him.

I reckon most of the current squad -with Tidser, the original Dominic Shimmin, and a good coach, would be in second place in the Championship next year, and in the top division a year later. Oh, and a new chairman.

At this point however, we only have a 1:4 chance of floating out of this league, and declining attendances as proof of our maudlin misery.

A few years ago you had the Highland clubs passing through on their way up and maybe the likes of Livingston(?), Govan Athletic or Johnson's QoS. If Stranraer, Brechin or Forfar get promoted, well done them. If us big time charlies at EEP and Scapa can't beat them over a season, don't slag them, they didn't fail, we did.

Onwards and Updwards *~#@~$!!?

The facts are we are all in the third tier of Scottish football, in a wee cold and wet country of 5 million people; who don't have football as the no.1 sport for kids anymore. I am actually surprised at the talent that gets into pro. football, but I am totally dismayed at the standard of coaching that then fails them.

The one or two rising stars (and no, we ain't got one) in football management in Scotland can make a huge difference to the team. I don't think our hero chairman actually has a blind spot to miss them, just unfortunately it seems they are too smart to work under him.

I reckon most of the current squad -with Tidser, the original Dominic Shimmin, and a good coach, would be in second place in the Championship next year, and in the top division a year later. Oh, and a new chairman.

At this point however, we only have a 1:4 chance of floating out of this league, and declining attendances as proof of our maudlin misery.

A few years ago you had the Highland clubs passing through on their way up and maybe the likes of Livingston(?), Govan Athletic or Johnson's QoS. If Stranraer, Brechin or Forfar get promoted, well done them. If us big time charlies at EEP and Scapa can't beat them over a season, don't slag them, they didn't fail, we did.

Onwards and Updwards *~#@~$!!?

What's the number one sport for kids?

Except that we aren't comparing this division with higher divisions for the purpose of this argument; we're comparing it with the same division just a few years ago, as well as an even lower division in which many of the dross in this league would have been mediocre cannon-fodder.

Do keep up.

Only if you think it's arrogant for Leicester to have had higher expectations than Yeovil in last season's Championship, or Everton to have higher expectations than Burnley at the moment. Again, crying about arrogance must have you sobbing your eyes out about literally every single league in European football; if it doesn't then get off your cross about it when your club is on the receiving end.

Hypocrite.

Erm yes: because those part-timers working down a uranium mine until 2pm on Saturday like, erm, Willie Gibson, Callum Tapping or Rory McAllister are the only players capable of "playing to the best of their abilities and with each other."

:1eye

It is however notable that the supporters in this case disagree with your claim; given that the strolling full-timers continue to draw comfortably the largest crowds to their matches.

Reading comprehension not one of your skills then?

If you're suggesting that the Morton team haven't worked hard, or have been turning up trying to stroll through matches, then you'd been wrong. This has been a very hard working and honest Morton team this season. Players like Stef McCluskey and Sean Crighton certainly aren't lacking in effort.

I also don't think it's right to suggest that players higher up the leagues don't work as hard. You get all sorts at all levels, but players have usually put on the effort to get where they are. You do often get players on the way down who don't seem interested, but that happens at all levels as well.

I wasn't suggesting that Morton's players weren't putting in the effort. They are challenging for promotion so they clearly are though perhaps the team as it was at the beginning of the season had to learn that lesson. There are players and teams and some supporters too that think their team just had to turn up.

Dindeleux. :lol: Obsessed with the Morten stuff. Wonder who it was that rattled the wee knicker wetting idiot.

Oh and I'd say that Stranraer challenging with our omnishambles IS a fairly decent achievement, given that it's Stranraer we're talking about here. Trying to put their efforts down is a fairly futile waste of time, and grossly unfair.

NONE of this doesn't mean that the league isn't shite though. Our team that won this league last time would absolutely piss this one.

Dindeleux. :lol: Obsessed with the Morten stuff. Wonder who it was that rattled the wee knicker wetting idiot.

Oh and I'd say that Stranraer challenging with our omnishambles IS a fairly decent achievement, given that it's Stranraer we're talking about here. Trying to put their efforts down is a fairly futile waste of time, and grossly unfair.

NONE of this doesn't mean that the league isn't shite though. Our team that won this league last time would absolutely piss this one.

Bullshit

It was already extremely unlikely but today confirms beyond all reasonable doubt that Brechin won't do it: even if they win all five of their games it's not going to be enough to overtake all three sides above them.

Terrific result for us today but it's a shame that Stranraer turned it round. It's hard to predict with how inconsistent each side is, but today seemed to be the most likely game for them to drop points before we go to Stair Park, and we do not want to go there needing a win.

If it goes to the last day Stranraer will not like needing to take something at Brechin, but they have every reason to be confident of taking nine points from their next three and if they do so they'll be able to put us out of it with a win on the second last day. Before we get to that weekend Morton have Brechin (who we haven't beaten this season) at home while Forfar have Peterhead away and Airdrie at home - it's easy to see points dropped in those games.

Stranraer are certainly favourites now. Morton and Forfar cannot afford to slip up.

Expected win for us today although the margin was obviously pleasing; but the gloss slightly taken off it by excellent wins for Morton and Stranraer.

We've had to win some tough games to keep up and will need to continue that if we are to catch the top 2 as they have had good wins themselves recently. From all 3 of us dropping points to the 3 of us winning games makes for an exciting conclusion.

I'd still have Morton as favourites, and their next 3 games are Brechin (h), Stenny (h) and Stirling (a). I'd be very surprised if they didn't the full 9 points on offer. Ourselves and Stranraer will have to do exceptionally well to match them.

With that in mind I feel that we needed to go top today, that's the trouble with having to rely on others, even when you do your own job it might not be enough.

The next 3 games are huge and it could be very interesting if we are still in touch when Morton have to travel to Stranraer on the second last day.

The one plus for me with both Morton and Stranraer winning was that I had a tenner on a double for them both to win.

We are 3rd favourites but will hopefully keep plugging away. Regardless of the quality argument that is currently happening here, and which is also completely irrelevant, it is fantastic for us to be contesting a championship challenge and shows how far we have come since Dick arrived.

Archived