3 Horse race

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, beating you 2-0 isn't a 'pumping' but we did beat you 4-0 at the very start of the season. 'Thomas62' just likes to go into all the Morton threads and tell us how 'shite' and 'lucky' we are and how he fancys every team we play against to beat us. How does he know we're 'lucky'? Last time I checked we've beaten Stranraer twice comfortably and neither of those were 'lucky' wins.

Ah but have you beaten the wee diddy village team ?

Just biding our time for the last furlong sprint ! ;)

Really surprised to see you lot collapse/bottle it the last few weeks.

At one point i was seriously thinking about sticking a wad on you to win the league as you were the only team in the top 4 showing real consistency and you were about 10/1 only a few weeks ago

What has happened?

Last year at this time the Gers and Pars so far ahead, a bit boring, not this year , you think this league is rubbish its not, it's tense for playoff places at both ends.

It's certainly interesting, but in part that's because there hasn't been the one or two half-decent teams this league has seen most years. In terms of quality there's obviously a big gap between this level and the level up. It's quite similar to the quality of the season Stranraer and Brechin went up 10 years ago IMO, but that was the poorest 2nd division season I had seen up till this point.

Last year at this time the Gers and Pars so far ahead, a bit boring, not this year , you think this league is rubbish its not, it's tense for playoff places at both ends.

Being tense, close, exciting with many teams still able to be promoted with a few games to go doesn't say anything about the overall quality though. It means that all the teams are of a similar standard but that doesn't mean any of them are actually any good.

This is why I don't understand fans accusing others of arrogance when they say the overall standard of the league is poor: if they were saying every other team is shite but their own is actually quite good or just unlucky that would be arrogance, however everyone's completely accepting that their own team aren't very good either.

That's not to say that every team at the top hasn't had some great performances and isn't capable of pumping another team on their day, but in terms of consistency it quite obviously isn't a very good league, which is why we're going to have a low points total for the winners while a team who've lost ten games are still in with a good shout of winning it.

Being tense, close, exciting with many teams still able to be promoted with a few games to go doesn't say anything about the overall quality though. It means that all the teams are of a similar standard but that doesn't mean any of them are actually any good.

This is why I don't understand fans accusing others of arrogance when they say the overall standard of the league is poor: if they were saying every other team is shite but their own is actually quite good or just unlucky that would be arrogance, however everyone's completely accepting that their own team aren't very good either.

That's not to say that every team at the top hasn't had some great performances and isn't capable of pumping another team on their day, but in terms of consistency it quite obviously isn't a very good league, which is why we're going to have a low points total for the winners while a team who've lost ten games are still in with a good shout of winning it.

True

At the end of it all, I just feel it leaves a sour taste for supporters of a couple of full-time clubs, one with a decent history, one who've never achieved very much even when playing in a division they believe they belong.......

to look around at where they are, and say... "Yeah, we're shit right now, but so are all of you. "

And in effect, say... " We won't always be shit. But, you little clubs.... "

As I recall, Stranraer 10 years ago got promoted to what is now the Championship, in part by playing

what some have called anti-football.

Last season, and this, I've lost count of the higher division scalps we've taken... Dumbarton, Falkirk, Ross County, good performances against Inverness.

I'm proud of my club, and think it's great to see us up here, and Forfar, and Brechin.

At the end of it all, I just feel it leaves a sour taste for supporters of a couple of full-time clubs, one with a decent history, one who've never achieved very much even when playing in a division they believe they belong.......

to look around at where they are, and say... "Yeah, we're shit right now, but so are all of you. "

As I recall, Stranraer 10 years ago got promoted to what is now the Championship, in part by playing

Last season, and this, I've lost count of the higher division scalps we've taken... Dumbarton, Falkirk, Ross County, good performances against Inverness.

I'm proud of my club, and think it's great to see us up here, and Forfar, and Brechin.

Well , apart from winning it more times than anyone else. :1eye

You've clearly not lost count. Aitken is doing a great job with Stranraer. Certainly much better than the occasions we played you in the cups in recent years. From our own perspective we're much worse than the last time we played in this League (we beat St Johnstone and Killie in cup games that season - which certainly didn't mean we were anywhere near ready for the next level up).

Early in the season I kept thinking that we should have been 3 or 4 goals down before we got going in a match. As the season we on I realised that it's actually just the case that it takes a side more than 3 or 4 really good chances to score a goal. That sums up the standard for me. Stranraer should have destroyed us 5-0 this season down there, a really decent team at this level would have. And that has happened a few times this season.

The bottom 3 are really poor sides imo. Airdrie, Peterhead and Brechin have shown they are decent in patches and us and Stranraer have shown a great level of consistency. I would also dispute that their is a huge gap, Cowdenbeath beat us in the cup but they look pretty dross along with Livingston and Alloa, I suppose the play offs will clarify if there is any sort of gap.

Only if you're unable to deal with objective facts - this division is utterly shit; full-time clubs with considerably larger resources will, sooner or later, regain competency or just fluke their way back to their natural level, which is The Championship. If you can't deal with this then you ought to avoid watching just about every league in Europe, otherwise you'll be having raging breakdowns about big teams daring to have higher ambitions and minimum standards than wee teams every other minute.

The bottom 3 are really poor sides imo. Airdrie, Peterhead and Brechin have shown they are decent in patches and us and Stranraer have shown a great level of consistency. I would also dispute that their is a huge gap, Cowdenbeath beat us in the cup but they look pretty dross along with Livingston and Alloa, I suppose the play offs will clarify if there is any sort of gap.

Alloa were far poorer than last season's side on the basis of their visit to Cappielow earlier this season (and their shit results): I doubt there is a gap at all between the bottom three in that division and this league.

There is however a clear, yawning gap between any of those clubs and the rest of that division.

Really surprised to see you lot collapse/bottle it the last few weeks.

At one point i was seriously thinking about sticking a wad on you to win the league as you were the only team in the top 4 showing real consistency and you were about 10/1 only a few weeks ago

What has happened?

I am wondering that myself. Nobody can quite put their finger on it. Basically everyone has gone off the boil at the same time. I don't know if something has happened off the park but our first defeat after the unbeaten run at Peterhead , McLaughlin and Smith were squaring up and blaming each other for the first goal. Not the behaviour of a settled team on a decent run IMO !

That there is better football in a higher league shouldn't be a surprise - though it seems otherwise to some posters here. That's how a league system works y'know. The better you are the higher up the league you stand. If you're in this division of the league then that is where you deserve to be until you EARN the right to play with better teams. Looking down your nose at other clubs just gets you a reputation as arrogant.

The idea is to strive to get better. Much of the pleasure to be got from watching lower divisions is that you often get more honest endeavour from the players on the park. The players aren't playing for the money so much as the glory of winning and the pleasure of being involved in a team.

I'd rather watch a team of part-timers playing, or trying to play, to the best of their abilities and working for and with each other than a set of full-time players turning up expecting to stroll through the opposition.

That there is better football in a higher league shouldn't be a surprise - though it seems otherwise to some posters here. That's how a league system works y'know. The better you are the higher up the league you stand. If you're in this division of the league then that is where you deserve to be until you EARN the right to play with better teams. Looking down your nose at other clubs just gets you a reputation as arrogant.

The idea is to strive to get better. Much of the pleasure to be got from watching lower divisions is that you often get more honest endeavour from the players on the park. The players aren't playing for the money so much as the glory of winning and the pleasure of being involved in a team.

I'd rather watch a team of part-timers playing, or trying to play, to the best of their abilities and working for and with each other than a set of full-time players turning up expecting to stroll through the opposition.

This ^ ^

Archived