Heart of Midlothian v Queen of the South, 28/03/2015

The same way we have scored against St Johnstone Hearts Hibs & Rangers already this season.

If you were there today and Tuesday like I was you would realise those are distant memories now. Don't look like scoring from open play at all.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were there today and Tuesday like I was you would realise those are distant memories now. Don't look like scoring from open play at all.

Thankfully Russell could be back for the run in he is a miss to our attacking threat when not playing.

We have two of the top scorers in the division.

Thought we kept the ball better than on Tuesday. Agreed that Alexander didn't have a save to make but we tried to play football. Hearts have the best defense in the league but I was pleasantly surprised the manager went with two forwards from the off.

Was pleased that Falkirk managed to trip up at the Rock. We still have a couple of tough games coming up to enable them to build up a useful lead before the Palmerston game. Wonder if they are going to replace their glass bottles with plastic.

Good response after Tuesday night even if we didn't get the result.

The main concern at the moment is that every pass feels too safe,too slow and the movement up top is virtually nonexistant. Nobody seems to want to take risks or run at people. That being said Hearts and Raith are both very difficult teams to break down so maybe I'm being a little harsh but it does feel a lot like the early McIntyre games in that we're having possession but doing hee haw with it. Russell's absence is massive as he is at least a bit more direct and quicker than Paton. The decision to not replace Baird has been proven to be a really, really, really bad decision to the surprise of just about nobody.

We started really well and then Sow scored with a brilliant finish with their first attack. Holt gave the ball away really cheaply and we got punished by a quality player. First half we had a lot of possession but never looked like scoring other than Holt putting in a great ball that almost found it's way in. Second half Hearts were a bit more positive and they got a really jammy goal but Zander made a few really good saves (The save from the backheel of Sow was just good football all round). We were a bit better in terms of using possession effectively but the result was never really in doubt.

Millar was blowing just before half time I would have subbed him off before McKenna as the game got really open and perhaps the second could have been avoided. That being said we don't have too many options at the moment. I thought Hearts were pretty disappointing waiting on us to make mistakes rather than playing like a team that has just won the league and didn't create as much chances as a team that good should be.

I thought even though he lacks quality at the moment Smith at least got himself on the ball in dangerous positions, a good sign that he's becoming more comfortable at this level and less of a headless chicken.

Easy win for Hearts. QotS played well in patches but some of their defending, final balls and finishing were abysmal.

Thought Gomis, Pallardo, Eckersly, Walker and Sow were magnificent and the rest not far behind.

Should be a different story against Hibs next week. Queens get the first goal and the ER 'crowd' will be on their teams' backs.

Easy win for Hearts. QotS played well in patches but some of their defending, final balls and finishing were abysmal.

Thought Gomis, Pallardo, Eckersly, Walker and Sow were magnificent and the rest not far behind.

Should be a different story against Hibs next week. Queens get the first goal and the ER 'crowd' will be on their teams' backs.

Hope you are proved correct. That said we drew 0-0 there last time. Despite us being in decent form at that time we didn`t have a single shot on target. Probably John Baird`s fault mind you.

t. I thought Hearts were pretty disappointing waiting on us to make mistakes rather than playing like a team that has just won the league and didn't create as much chances as a team that good should .

Why should Hearts bust a gut, when they are a goal up in 5 mins? They didn't really have to up a gear, given how quickly the first went in and how easily the second got through that wall.

I'm quite glad it wasn't a 5-0 romp.

Good response after Tuesday night even if we didn't get the result.

The main concern at the moment is that every pass feels too safe,too slow and the movement up top is virtually nonexistant. Nobody seems to want to take risks or run at people. That being said Hearts and Raith are both very difficult teams to break down so maybe I'm being a little harsh but it does feel a lot like the early McIntyre games in that we're having possession but doing hee haw with it. Russell's absence is massive as he is at least a bit more direct and quicker than Paton. The decision to not replace Baird has been proven to be a really, really, really bad decision to the surprise of just about nobody.

We started really well and then Sow scored with a brilliant finish with their first attack. Holt gave the ball away really cheaply and we got punished by a quality player. First half we had a lot of possession but never looked like scoring other than Holt putting in a great ball that almost found it's way in. Second half Hearts were a bit more positive and they got a really jammy goal but Zander made a few really good saves (The save from the backheel of Sow was just good football all round). We were a bit better in terms of using possession effectively but the result was never really in doubt.

Millar was blowing just before half time I would have subbed him off before McKenna as the game got really open and perhaps the second could have been avoided. That being said we don't have too many options at the moment. I thought Hearts were pretty disappointing waiting on us to make mistakes rather than playing like a team that has just won the league and didn't create as much chances as a team that good should be.

I thought even though he lacks quality at the moment Smith at least got himself on the ball in dangerous positions, a good sign that he's becoming more comfortable at this level and less of a headless chicken.

Thats exactly what I said after Tuesday nights game. Today, I thought, was a little better but Hearts are so good defensively that they coped with anything we could produce in the final third. I think its a little early to panic after one bad performance and one defeat to the champions though

Today was a perfect example of why Hearts are champions. They werent at their best yet still managed to produce a result with a little bit of quality and a bit of luck. Gomes absolutely strolled the game, as usual, and Sow is simply quality. I have to say, Ive never been convinced by Zeefuik. I certainly wouldnt be moving Sow out wide to accommodate him.

A couple of disappointing things today, other than the result obviously. The atmosphere was so flat, unbelievably so for a title party. Also, at the end of the game, we hung about for a bit waiting for the Hearts team to come back out, as did many other Queens fans, but they took so long we gave up. Im sure the Hearts fans enjoyed listening to Anne Budge, but surely the players could have got back out a bit quicker

Queens are everything thats good about Scottish football. And as decent a bunch of fans as you will meet.

Hearts today were pretty comfortable winners in fairly difficult conditions i.e. gusting wind and rain. Always felt we could have stepped up a gear if we needed to but were happy just to get the points.

Queens i hope , can get their act together for the lottery that will be the playoffs and join us in the Premiership

Thought we passed the ball very neatly but always in front of the opposition whereas Hearts with seemingly less possession were really hungry to get in behind. They were much more dangerous although they were a bit fortunate to get the early goal as they didnt start well.

Overall that was a decent performance from us but the manager really needs to tackle the malaise that is now affecting us in the final third. As somebody else said we always seem to take the safe option and seem reluctant to get in behind and really make things happen. Lyle and Reilly never seem to "gamble" and make good runs anticipating the cross - Danny did well in the first half but he is not hurting teams at the moment and while Paton played well i dont remember either of them doing anything that had any chance of resulting in a goal. Contrast their performances withthe likes of Jamie Walker and Osman Sow who were constantly looking to get to th e byeline or get a shot away. We play too many floated balls that are so easy to defend - need more balls played low ino the box with pace.

In short the forward areas worry me - Gavin is out of touch but some better service from the wide areas would help him and Derek Lyle. Mark Millar looks good but sometimes gets ahead of the ball and caught out of position. McKenna did well considering his time out. Holt had another good performance. Chris Higgins my MOM - an excellent player at his level.

Might be worth going 3-5-2 against Hibs as Rangers did but whatever way we set up we need to re create a goal threat or we will see our earlier great work this season evaporate in the final quarter.

We were not ouplayed today but there is no doubt that Hearts carried a far greater threat and were worthy winners.

Like the other couple of times I've seen Queens this season, we passed the ball around nicely from the back, but looked completely devoid of attacking guile or threat. Holt had a relatively poor game I thought, he was at fault for the first goal and looked vulnerable/caught out of position on a few occasions. Reilly was ineffective, but so were the other attacking players. Carmichael had some nice moments, but invariably ran into blind alleys and squandered possession far too often. The diminutive young striker Smith, who came on near the end looked way out of his depth. Reminiscent of our performance at Easter Rd earlier in the season, we could have played all night and not scored. Hearts are a decent team, though some distance from world beaters, but they looked to be playing within themselves. I was impressed by Sow and their number 6, who looked a cut above this level.

Its a pity we couldn't loan you guys a couple of our strikers for the next couple of months as you'd have every chance of joining us in the SPL next season with some real quality in the final 3rd. Play some lovely stuff from the back and through the midfield but sometimes struggle to turn it into any threat or final ball. Would love to see you come up but worry that will be your downfall.

Archived