The Pelé Podcast - Andy Graham

Alright lads, here's part one of our interview with Arbroath winger Danny Denholm!

CLICK

Danny talks about his expectations for the season ahead with Arbroath before jumping back to his time in the East of Scotland League, his first season with Forfar Athletic and his year in full-time football with Livingston.

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I enjoyed talking to Scott and he's a sound guy but there were a couple of moments where I did feel a bit uncomfortable and thought: "If I was a player, I don't think I would have liked to be around this kind of stuff in the dressing room". I probably should have asked him more about the consequences of some of things he got up to and how some of his team-mates responded to his pranks.

The forthcoming interview with Danny Denholm covers a number of the topics he's written about in his blog, including mental health and toxic masculinity, so please keep your ears peeled for that. Top guy, is Danny, and I reckon I could be irl friends with him, if he'd let me.

I could hear the parts you mean as I've done the same awkward laugh myself on many occasions. Think you did an excellent job though; as always a great host.

Looking forward to the Denholm interview and just downloaded part one on Downcast.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

I think in fairness to Scott we are very much in the transitionary period of the old school footballers phasing out, and society on the whole starting to understand the importance and influence of mental health. Not sure we can have it both ways when we are asking footballers to reminisce about things 20 years ago when folk had barely heard of mental health and then slag them off for their behaviour at the time. Aye, perhaps a bit more self awareness when he's talking about mental health one second and then some nonsense story right after, but I'm more than prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Really enjoyed it, and the difference between him on the phone as opposed to in person is huge, so much more relaxed (by f**k he loves a wee swear though eh!).

In a way I just feel pity for him. I'm sure he's a good guy and the attitude and personality has been affected greatly by trying to survive/thrive in a horrible enviornment. You've heard similar stories from older players about what a laugh it was when younger players get bullied or staff members get terrorised on a daily basis. It would be very difficult to come out of that situation without a warped sense of reality.

Just now, Poet of the Macabre said:

I could hear the parts you mean as I've done the same awkward laugh myself on many occasions. Think you did an excellent job though; as always a great host.

Looking forward to the Denholm interview and just downloaded part one on Downcast.

In a way I just feel pity for him. I'm sure he's a good guy and the attitude and personality has been affected greatly by trying to survive/thrive in a horrible enviornment. You've heard similar stories from older players about what a laugh it was when younger players get bullied or staff members get terrorised on a daily basis. It would be very difficult to come out of that situation without a warped sense of reality.

The juxtaposition between Scott's and Denholms with regards this theme is excellent, couldn't have timed this pod better, you'll enjoy it.

Yassss ooooor Danny

Aye Scott McLaughlin seemed like a bit of a wanky ned for me too. Loved his interview was very interesting but some of the stuff just sounded shite and no funny. Every group of pals and team has a few guys like that though. Just boys that take it too far.

Looking forward to hearing DD11s

Listened to part 1 last night, can only agree with what has been said so far. It's nice to hear a footballer say what he actually thinks rather than regurgitating cliche's about every club he's played for. His stories about Dick Campbell had me chuckling, you can just imagine that's the way he speaks to his players.

Currently working through the first part and laughing away at the Martin / Jimmy / John Scott tales. Danny sounds like a sound guy. Certainly not your typical footballer, and quite a contrast to the Scott McLaughlin interviews, which were, unfortunately, a little cringeworthy.

Listened to part 1 last night, can only agree with what has been said so far. It's nice to hear a footballer say what he actually thinks rather than regurgitating cliche's about every club he's played for. His stories about Dick Campbell had me chuckling, you can just imagine that's the way he speaks to his players.

Just call everyone a fud......but a good fud so it’s ok.

Have really enjoyed them and great work putting them together. Danny Denholm seems like a great guy and I’ve enjoyed them all - could we have a manager’s perspective on one. I’m sure some of them may have an interesting perspective on some of the issues raised. I get that current ones may not be able to say too much but retired but recent ones may be interesting - there must be a few who would like to have their say. Keep at it and happy to throw a few quid in if you can find a way to collect easily to support this.

34 minutes ago, Happy Pebble said:

Have really enjoyed them and great work putting them together. Danny Denholm seems like a great guy and I’ve enjoyed them all - could we have a manager’s perspective on one. I’m sure some of them may have an interesting perspective on some of the issues raised. I get that current ones may not be able to say too much but retired but recent ones may be interesting - there must be a few who would like to have their say. Keep at it and happy to throw a few quid in if you can find a way to collect easily to support this.

Was there not a manger on once? Sure he ran marathons, was brilliant I thought. 

26 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

If you want a manager then Dick Campbell would be a riot. Personally I’d like to see Craig interview Scott Booth. That would be rather amusing

Dick Campbell would be utterly fantastic. 

Steve 'Pele' Paterson would be superb to have on if he'd do it.  He used to be mentioned semi-regularly in the early ones.  His book his absolutely mental with tales such as signing for Man United, being chased by an angry machete wielding chef through the streets of Macau and going to Dublin and getting so drunk he thought he'd traveled backwards through time! :lol:

I felt the same about parts of the interview. However, to be fair to him he did say that at Clyde he felt Ferguson wasn’t able to tell which players needed “an arm around the shoulder.” So at least he is aware that not everyone takes things the same way and I’m sure he also mentioned that some of his “banter” was aimed at those that could take it (though I would accept you ultimately never know if they can)

Dick Campbell will be money for the podcast when he retires. What a man.

The below had me howling from Danny's blog.

"Then there are some pre seasons where non league players come on trial under recommendations; this was the case for one of my good friends Sean Muhsin who enjoyed a brief trial at Forfar under Dick Campbell. Over the 3 week period, the management team referred to him as Moose, Bush, Busherton and David but at no stage was he called the Christian name bestowed on him by his dear mother. This was compounded at the end when he was to find out if he had earned a deal,

“Son yer a great lad but I’m afraid there’s nae budget – really enjoyed having you around. Best of luck David”.

Denholm’s was good listen. Interesting stuff on his second stint with Forfar especially. So much of what went wrong at the club I think, can be traced back to the Alloa championship loss. Yes Campbell stuck with that team too long the next season but the whole club seemed to me to be hungover from that day. I was in hospitality the day Dick got sacked and saw the bizarre sight of the chairman who had just sacked him being treated to a surprise birthday party less than an hour later ( complete with opening number “That’s Entertainment “ ).

The bits about Douglas / Petrie were what I heard too and in retrospect having binned Campbell the bigger sin was how  a club legend like Stewart was treated especially when you see how he has done at Montrose.

Anyway a good listen and Danny came across how he is, a likeable,bright lad with his head screwed on.

A Dick Campbell episode  ( series!?) would be gold but I doubt he’d do it unless there was cold hard cash on the table.