The Pelé Podcast - Andy Graham

20 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

That's been my favourite one so far. Others have had more hilarious stories and stuff, but Loy comes across so well, very well spoken and seems like a really intelligent guy. A terrific listen.

I'd probably agree with that, in all honesty. Rory's analysis of his career, where things went right and where they went wrong, is tremendous. The level of insight across the three hours is brilliant and there's definitely a career in the media there if he chooses to take it.

Alright lads, a new week, a new podcast, this time with Scott McLaughlin!

CLICK

We originally spoke with him over the phone in 2015 but it was a wee bit too nice, so he came into the studio for three hours to really let rip.

This is the first of three parts, where he talks about leaving Albion Rovers in May, his time on YTS forms with Hamilton Academical, his spell at Livingston, and his three years at Greenock Morton. Some great stuff in here.

Like, subscribe and leave a comment!

Since they returned in May, I've been very happy with the calibre of the interviews. Lower-league football is the thread that holds it all together but everyone has a different story to tell, and that's what's endlessly fascinating.

Have listened to them all mate and they are all fascinating and enjoyable in their own way. So glad you are doing this again, well done and keep up the great work [emoji1319]

16 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Hi! Here's the final part of our interview with Scott McLaughlin.

CLICK

In this part, he talks about his time at Clyde and his spell last season with Albion Rovers.

That has been one of the best imo, says it how it is.

Really enjoying following all these, keep them coming!

22 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Hi! Here's the final part of our interview with Scott McLaughlin.

CLICK

In this part, he talks about his time at Clyde and his spell last season with Albion Rovers.

How disappointing to hear a player blame the Cliftonhill pitch for the team's relegation last year - the infamous San Siro pitch is the same for the two teams who compete on it.

How disappointing to hear a player blame the Cliftonhill pitch for the team's relegation last year - the infamous San Siro pitch is the same for the two teams who compete on it.

Yeah that’s his point, the team could play decent stuff away from home with the players they had but at home they couldn’t because it was a tattie field.

Maybe worked for Rovers teams of the past, I always thought you were very good at going direct when you had Gemmell uptop. But last years team maybe more suited for playing football instead of a battle.

I don’t know how the facilities and pitch etc are still so terrible at Cliftonhill considering the Scottish Cup draws you’ve had. Surely some money towards the upkeep of ground. Even investing in covers or whatever.

I’m not really a big fan of McLaughlin, more of a personal thing though, just never personally really rated him much as a player but it was a very interesting interview once again.

22 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah that’s his point, the team could play decent stuff away from home with the players they had but at home they couldn’t because it was a tattie field.

Maybe worked for Rovers teams of the past, I always thought you were very good at going direct when you had Gemmell uptop. But last years team maybe more suited for playing football instead of a battle.

I don’t know how the facilities and pitch etc are still so terrible at Cliftonhill considering the Scottish Cup draws you’ve had. Surely some money towards the upkeep of ground. Even investing in covers or whatever.

I’m not really a big fan of McLaughlin, more of a personal thing though, just never personally really rated him much as a player but it was a very interesting interview once again.

Yes his point was that we didn't have the players to change from their normal passing game to a long ball. Which begs the question why were other teams anle to adjust and why we didn't sign the players to resolve this.

It's uncomfortable in the least to hear a guy openly talk about how players have been bullied, harassed and abused. It's worse that this is supposed to be considered "banter" or a process of "toughening up". Especially when he then sounds so shocked that someone would have mental health issues or take their own life. It can't be ignored or discounted that football and this shitey faux masculine pish that goes along with it, is a huge contributor to the poor mental health of so many young men.

When someone goes out of their way to explain what a joker they are or how well liked they are, it usually screams of insecurity. I'm sorry that McLaughlin was brought up in a system where being "weak" was such a crime and that bullying was considered part of the process and a positive thing. Hearing about the way he and his teammates acted made me cringe and I felt he came off terribly.

Was still an entertaining listen but I've usually found myself liking the players after the episodes and that certainly wasn't the case this time around.

11 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

It's uncomfortable in the least to hear a guy openly talk about how players have been bullied, harassed and abused. It's worse that this is supposed to be considered "banter" or a process of "toughening up". Especially when he then sounds so shocked that someone would have mental health issues or take their own life. It can't be ignored or discounted that football and this shitey faux masculine pish that goes along with it, is a huge contributor to the poor mental health of so many young men.

When someone goes out of their way to explain what a joker they are or how well liked they are, it usually screams of insecurity. I'm sorry that McLaughlin was brought up in a system where being "weak" was such a crime and that bullying was considered part of the process and a positive thing. Hearing about the way he and his teammates acted made me cringe and I felt he came off terribly.

Was still an entertaining listen but I've usually found myself liking the players after the episodes and that certainly wasn't the case this time around.

I enjoyed talking to Scott and he's a sound guy but there were a couple of moments where I did feel a bit uncomfortable and thought: "If I was a player, I don't think I would have liked to be around this kind of stuff in the dressing room". I probably should have asked him more about the consequences of some of things he got up to and how some of his team-mates responded to his pranks.

The forthcoming interview with Danny Denholm covers a number of the topics he's written about in his blog, including mental health and toxic masculinity, so please keep your ears peeled for that. Top guy, is Danny, and I reckon I could be irl friends with him, if he'd let me.

I think in fairness to Scott we are very much in the transitionary period of the old school footballers phasing out, and society on the whole starting to understand the importance and influence of mental health. Not sure we can have it both ways when we are asking footballers to reminisce about things 20 years ago when folk had barely heard of mental health and then slag them off for their behaviour at the time. Aye, perhaps a bit more self awareness when he's talking about mental health one second and then some nonsense story right after, but I'm more than prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Really enjoyed it, and the difference between him on the phone as opposed to in person is huge, so much more relaxed (by f**k he loves a wee swear though eh!).