East Fife v Arbroath

Not our best performance of the season by any means but we probably deserved the three points overall.

Arbroath certainly had the better of the opening exchanges but we we gradually imposed ourselves on the game and only an incredible triple save from the Lichties' keeper kept their goal intact before he conceded a penalty. He probably should have walked and made it four great stops in under a minute by saving Deek's spot-kick. Riordan's free-kick on the stroke of half-time gave us a deserved lead.

The second-half required some resolute defending as Arbroath had a lot of possession but we dealt with everything thrown at us by keeping our shape. As the game wore on we looked more capable of hurting Arbroath at the other end with the visitors committing more players and so it proved when Alan Cook's persistence paid off on left to set up fellow sub Caolan McAleer to seal the points.

A belated St Patrick's celebration for the Irishman awaits tonight!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with the smokie fans on this one. Blown a decent lead and the way things are going, holding on to 3rd place will be an achievement. Unbelieveable turnaround of events at Gayfield.

Manager has to be held accountable.

We have played better and lost this season, but a vital 3 points in our quest for a play off spot. With quality players like Kev Smith, the Spanish lad and Liam Smith missing it was always going to be difficult. For all Arbroaths possession I never felt like they would breach our defence. I am glad the refs call to allow the keeper to stay on the pitch didn't affect the result. That has to be denying a goal scoring opportunity all day long. Mcmanus tried hard all day, and Bobby linn showed in flashes what he can do ,but it was in places where he couldn't trouble our defence. Murray looked a shadow of the player he was the last time he was at Bayview. Arbroath looked a team short of confidence and after we scored the first goal I felt they didn't have any believe they could get back in the game. Another hard game on Tuesday against Berwick I just hope we don't have anymore injuries as Arbroath gave Fash some special treatment,and I think all their defenders got booked for having a nibble at him.

I'm with the smokie fans on this one. Blown a decent lead and the way things are going, holding on to 3rd place will be an achievement. Unbelieveable turnaround of events at Gayfield.

Manager has to be held accountable.

But don't bad mouth him....or some c***s on here will go in a right huff

I'm not one to shout for the manager to go usually but looking at today's performance and his actions can understand why some fans want to see the back of him. His subs today were bizarre to say the least. At one stage it looked like Linn and Shagger up front with Smith and Buchan in midfield?. When McGeever went off couldn't McBride have just slotted in there instead of Little moving across to bring Rowan at RB. If Moore doesn't get the players back on side ASAP we will not even make the play offs. Our form must be about the worst in the league and if we had not done so well in the first half of the season we would be down beside Montrose now.

Heard moore tell Nicoll or mcgeever today 'shut up or you'll be over here', pointing to the bench. Seems like a dick with all the stuff he comes away with on the touchline. Don't think he'll be here come next season.

Absolutely correct I witnessed the same thing.

How to encourage and motivate the players and team, I don't thing so.

Seen it a couple of times now.

Not the best management style and certainly wont get the best out of individuals or the team.

The team spirit is good, we've seen that, none of them want to let team mates down, they'll feel bad enough without getting threatened with the dugout during a game.

Must do better Mr Moore!!

I'm not one to shout for the manager to go usually but looking at today's performance and his actions can understand why some fans want to see the back of him. His subs today were bizarre to say the least. At one stage it looked like Linn and Shagger up front with Smith and Buchan in midfield?. When McGeever went off couldn't McBride have just slotted in there instead of Little moving across to bring Rowan at RB. If Moore doesn't get the players back on side ASAP we will not even make the play offs. Our form must be about the worst in the league and if we had not done so well in the first half of the season we would be down beside Montrose now.

Was surprised to see McBride on the bench.

Midfield were missed out alot today with long balls forward hoping to find M or M.

Probably the one player that can unlock a defence with a pass.

But don't bad mouth him....or some c***s on here will go in a right huff

Happy clappers and c***s for disagreeing with your opinion, wow

3 month ago everybody was absolutely loving the guy, now everybody's turned on him and are calling on his head cause we are in a rut :lol:

Happy clappers and c***s for disagreeing with your opinion, wow

3 month ago everybody was absolutely loving the guy, now everybody's turned on him and are calling on his head cause we are in a rut :lol:

Not calling for his head.

He has done a good job. Best start to a season in the clubs history so, he rightfully should get credit.

However, we no doubt, have a good team, but at the moment lacking in confidence and self belief.

This needs to be restored now! We have a few experienced players that can help but in the main its his job.

Do this and the playoffs are reality.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotsman_in_hawaii/sets/72157651074579518/

12 League games ago we demolished 10 men East Fife and were scoring goals for fun and had just won 4 League games in a row. Since that time we have scored 12 goals and conceded 23 goals and in the last 5 games only scored 3 due to the brilliance of Bobby Linn / and a poor Clyde side.

It is worrying. Yes we had an amazing start to the season, but the season is 36 games and doesn’t (unfortunately for us) end at Christmas. Be that if El-Zubaidi wanted to try his luck at Hamilton or Hamilton wanted to keep him – but one player doesn’t make the team tick. We had an 8 point lead and now trail by 11 points. A 19 point swing and Albion Rovers lost 4 games on the bounce. The players are trying and you can see some of the frustration and hear it with some of them on the pitch but clearly something isn’t working.

Long balls don’t work for us – never have and never will. Our best move today was more of the Sheerin era. McCallum to Nicoll to Little and in to Murray who was unlucky not to score. It took about 12 seconds from keeper to Murray and caught East Fife napping. Last season we went on a similar type of run, but the players to be fair weren’t as good as they are this season and were heading to places like Ibrox and East End Park, but we played good passing football and it was a joy to watch, even though we were getting beat.

It looks like next week we could be without McGeever and Little picked up his 5th yellow of the season (is it 6 for suspension?) so we are going to be even more pushed at the back.

Travis and Scott’s faces didn’t fit and Travis is now one of the best players in League 1. I’m happy for him but I’m sure all Lichties wish he was still playing for us.

At the start of the season if you had been promised a play-off spot you would have taken it, but with one win in 2015 and East Fife facing Berwick and Montrose in the next 7 days it could be interesting end to the coming week. We still have good players who are hurting equally but at the end of the day the players still performing for us are those that were signed by Paul Sheerin. The loan deals really haven’t worked and you can see how even a poor East Fife team have strengthened and it’s paying off.

I think we can hold on for the play offs, but we need to fix our tactics and weird substitutions.

PS - the lack of red card to McCallum was evened out by Walker not getting one for his challenge on McGeever.

Not calling for his head.

He has done a good job. Best start to a season in the clubs history so, he rightfully should get credit.

However, we no doubt, have a good team, but at the moment lacking in confidence and self belief.

This needs to be restored now! We have a few experienced players that can help but in the main its his job.

Do this and the playoffs are reality.

Happy clapper c**t... ;)

I agree with you

Losing 2 or 3 games in a row is a rut. Only picking up 7 points out of a possible 36 points in 12 games is a fucking disaster to any teams campaign. 1 win in 12 games after leading the table by 8 points!!!!

One of the biggest problems Moore has is in not bringing in an experienced central defender to allow Nicol to play in his best position which is the defensive midfield role. Playing alongside Whately would be a great partnership.

When Big Marv was available i would have snapped him up. A big, strong, powerful, no nonsense defender. High balls are his speciality. And the boy has positional awareness to block out the sun if he wanted too. Granted he would be at fault for some goals but at least we would have another defender in the team.

I wouldnt have wasted another loan on Carreiro either. Boy looks like a pub player at best. As some wonder moments but the rest of the time he is posted missing. Injured these days tho.

If Moore has lost the dressing room then he should walk. Bring in a manager to revitalise the team. Get us playing again and hopefully guide us thru the play offs as we have thrown the title away.

I reckon we can't do any worse than give kev buchan a start next week.

Looked good when he came on, winning flick-on headers and a couple of moves with mcmanus, whereas Murray looked poor yesterday, especially in the air. Few of the fans sat near me going mental when Murray was taken off, but he had done nothing!! No point in signing a guy like buchan and only giving him 10 minutes every week, give him a start next week and lets see what he can actually do.

Although, im sure we'll still get shafted by an inform east Stirling

Not sure if getting rid of Moore is the answer but I will say that he has come up well short when trying to change a game when it is not going our way and he has come up well short when trying to change a season when that isn't going our way. Other than the first quarter of the season, he's been out-thought in our really big games and now in the 2nd half of the season, the only manager he seems to have the better of is Barry Ferguson, who appears to be so dense, light bends around him.

Of course we'll start with Moore in charge next season but he will be under pressure very quickly if it doesn't look like we've learned the lessons from this season, namely;

Having more variety in how we play (a Plan 'B' so to speak).

Having a squad with more depth and less reliant on loan players.

Sheerin had many of the same flaws but had a much more entertaining 'Plan A' and a much better signing record. It's worth noting that all of our best outfield performers this year were here before Moore.

As for the 'we'd have taken third at the start of the season' argument, I agree. I would have taken third at the start of the season. However, expectations change with different circumstances and when you find yourself in the position of being 8 points clear halfway through the season, to not even end up putting a challenge in for the title is a poor outcome.

Archived