Jump to content

The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

If by "League Two" you mean the second tier or Championship (stupid name), then you are correct as I haven't called it a cartel. 

By League Two I mean League Two, the only division in the SPFL without an automatic relegation spot as the teams in the bottom two tiers want to make it as hard as possible for Highland/Lowland League sides to break into the top 4 tiers and get increased prize money.

I take it that's acceptabl

9 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Obviously I don't get to watch Hibs much.  However, in a 10 team league where 20% of the league is in real danger of relegation, managers are very reluctant to give young talent opportunities.

Which is my point about Hibs. A meaningless game at home with a manager with nothing to prove and they never gave a single youth product a go, yet magically they'd start doing it because there's more teams in the league?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

By League Two I mean League Two, the only division in the SPFL without an automatic relegation spot as the teams in the bottom two tiers want to make it as hard as possible for Highland/Lowland League sides to break into the top 4 tiers and get increased prize money.

I take it that's acceptabl

Which is my point about Hibs. A meaningless game at home with a manager with nothing to prove and they never gave a single youth product a go, yet magically they'd start doing it because there's more teams in the league?

Re League Two - OK, I mis-read you there.  Yes, fair point, there is a degree of protectionism in L2 also but you could argue that introduction of an automatic relegation spot from L2 might be more palatable within a larger L2.  Nevertheless, the current structure of the three lower leagues and their risk levels is a by-product which flowed from the creation of the top league cartel which was the original point of discussion.

Hibs - well is that down to the particular manager there?  I think my point remains about the significant element of risk in the smaller 10 team leagues and the effect that has on managers' approaches in those leagues.  Unfortunately I've been witnessing it for years.

I don't claim to have the perfect solution for the Scottish football structure.  All I know is that the leagues are as stale as hell and one of the main attractions for fans is the need to have some glimmer of hope at the start of each season - the ability to aspire to our top league is now reduced to only a very select few and I don't think that's healthy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Otis Blue said:

one of the main attractions for fans is the need to have some glimmer of hope at the start of each season.

Which is why expanding the leagues so a chunk of them are stuck in some mid-table wilderness where literally nothing happens after December is a horrendous idea. Simply being in the top flight isn't hugely exciting if you're just treading water in the bottom half for years, I'm afraid, and no amount of youngsters being chucked at it in the final month will change that.

Challenging for a play off spot in the Championship would be far more exciting and enjoyable for teams than fighting relegation in the top flight.

The country doesn't have enough teams to expand the divisions IMO, not unless we truly start a pyramid system, but the teams in League One/Two blocked that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Which is why expanding the leagues so a chunk of them are stuck in some mid-table wilderness where literally nothing happens after December is a horrendous idea. Simply being in the top flight isn't hugely exciting if you're just treading water in the bottom half for years, I'm afraid, and no amount of youngsters being chucked at it in the final month will change that.

Challenging for a play off spot in the Championship would be far more exciting and enjoyable for teams than fighting relegation in the top flight.

The country doesn't have enough teams to expand the divisions IMO, not unless we truly start a pyramid system, but the teams in League One/Two blocked that.

Is this not all about perspectives?  I can see how the landscape might look different from the view of a Saints fan whose team has occupied a berth in the top league for quite a few of the last few decades.  However, I'd suggest to you that the same landscape might appear a bit different viewed from the outside from fans of more uber-diddy clubs whose likelihood of ever entering the hallowed marble halls of the fabled land again is a mere pipe dream nowadays - unless of course the uber-diddy club can attract a significant sugar daddy a la Roy McGregor and his ilk (are Saints not also effectively bank-rolled by Geoff Brown ... not sure?).

Anyhow, I think I need to offer apologies to Killie fans here for polluting their thread with my uninvited musings!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

 (are Saints not also effectively bank-rolled by Geoff Brown ... not sure?).

No, everything we earned we earned through smart decision making. 

My first decade watching Saints was almost entirely in the second tier so yeah, I've plenty of perspective about being in a lower tier. I got hooked watching our steady progression towards challenging for promotion and then finally clinching it, I doubt it would've happened if we'd been dossing about in 16th every season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

The new home kit 👌

20220519_180840.thumb.jpg.b78172daba9d93de7f66f2bdcd43905d.jpg

 

I absolutely love it. Away kit is great too - maybe one of the best home/away kit combos we've had in ages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

No, everything we earned we earned through smart decision making. 

My first decade watching Saints was almost entirely in the second tier so yeah, I've plenty of perspective about being in a lower tier. I got hooked watching our steady progression towards challenging for promotion and then finally clinching it, I doubt it would've happened if we'd been dossing about in 16th every season.

It's all about opinions, that's what the forum is for ... and we don't have to agree; it's fine to have differing views, and we do. Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

The new home kit 👌

20220519_180840.thumb.jpg.b78172daba9d93de7f66f2bdcd43905d.jpg

 

It's really grown on me since I first saw it yesterday, I wasn't sure about the collar as I thought it didn't look right on the Southampton kit.

I'm assuming names and numbers won't be available via the online Killie shop until the squad numbers are finalised? Really want to get Alston's name as a tribute to the guy that won the league at Rugby park.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

It's really grown on me since I first saw it yesterday, I wasn't sure about the collar as I thought it didn't look right on the Southampton kit.

I'm assuming names and numbers won't be available via the online Killie shop until the squad numbers are finalised? Really want to get Alston's name as a tribute to the guy that won the league at Rugby park.

Seen a few posts saying it looks even better in the flesh. I'm heading down tomorrow to pick one up and see what the rest of the new range looks like to the eye.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/05/2022 at 18:23, Sortmeout said:

Pending seeing the back of it I have to say I absolutely love it.

Plain back, a commentators dream this year 🤣..

20220520_210108.thumb.jpg.91387d944cf211ebcbbc470f8cf36425.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Not sure how I feel about the Power signing. He looked like he had slowed down in his last season with us, was always a likely booking, was part of our relegation and jumped ship. Feels like a sideways move at best. But I wasn't entirely convinced that Alston was the right signing last summer mind you...

Edited by Sweet Pete
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Power will do just fine doubt he'll be a regular starter, also think he'll feel he has a point to prove.

The Alston comparison is an interesting one, I felt earlier in the season that Blair got a bit of unfair criticism, he was always looking to get forward and support the strikers but that left gaps in the midfield you'd expect those around him to work a bit harder and cover till he was back in position but that never happened either because of poor tactics or coaching or a lack of fitness or confidence ( felt we looked slow, ponderous and lacking a bit of flexibility in the first half of the season ) Power also seemed to suffer from trying to cover for Dicker's lack of mobility and that led to him being exposed and in turn led to some poor decisions, I'm sure he'll be aware of that and with the right balance around him we'll see a better version of him maybe not the player he was though but I'm sure he'll do a turn.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

I think Power will do just fine doubt he'll be a regular starter, also think he'll feel he has a point to prove.

The Alston comparison is an interesting one, I felt earlier in the season that Blair got a bit of unfair criticism, he was always looking to get forward and support the strikers but that left gaps in the midfield you'd expect those around him to work a bit harder and cover till he was back in position but that never happened either because of poor tactics or coaching or a lack of fitness or confidence ( felt we looked slow, ponderous and lacking a bit of flexibility in the first half of the season ) Power also seemed to suffer from trying to cover for Dicker's lack of mobility and that led to him being exposed and in turn led to some poor decisions, I'm sure he'll be aware of that and with the right balance around him we'll see a better version of him maybe not the player he was though but I'm sure he'll do a turn.

 

We were definitely plodding and one dimensional before McInnes arrived.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...