Jump to content

The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Paul Hartley...... 

I just read that. Can't see it happening myself, would be a gamble when you need instant success.

I'd be shocked if Hartley left and more shocked if Killie chose him considering the applicants who will or have applied.

He's a decent manager who's won league titles at Alloa, Dundee and with us but his recruitment is definitely hit or miss. More the latter imo. 

He's added a couple of players (Logan, Fyvie and McAllister - all local lads) to our starting XI in the last 2 years but 7 of our HL team are the core of our team. Won't bother listing the failures he's signed but there's been a few.

Good luck finding the right manager.

 

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

You know your clubs on the slide when there’s a succession of different managers every season emoji45.png

Flip side to that is that if a manager does well he gets snapped up quickly (Burns, Clarke and to a lesser extent Williamson) or if they do poorly they get sacked (Totten, Clark, Locke etc) whereas if they do ok and stay for a long time (JJ) fans end up hating them.

The only manager who we have got rid of via choice in the last 30 years that I’ve disagreed with strongly was Shiels. Was disappointed with how it all ended for Alessio but the writing was on the wall with that one.

Edited by Sortmeout
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/12/2021 at 10:25, CoveRangers1922 said:

I just read that. Can't see it happening myself, would be a gamble when you need instant success.

I'd be shocked if Hartley left and more shocked if Killie chose him considering the applicants who will or have applied.

He's a decent manager who's won league titles at Alloa, Dundee and with us but his recruitment is definitely hit or miss. More the latter imo. 

He's added a couple of players (Logan, Fyvie and McAllister - all local lads) to our starting XI in the last 2 years but 7 of our HL team are the core of our team. Won't bother listing the failures he's signed but there's been a few.

Good luck finding the right manager.

 

Hit or miss!!

He signed an entire squad of unbelievable dross in the space of one close season and basically doomed Falkirk to the seaside leagues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Hit or miss!!

He signed an entire squad of unbelievable dross in the space of one close season and basically doomed Falkirk to the seaside leagues.

In his 10 seasons of management, he's only really had 2 out and out failure seasons. 1 when Stewart and Hemmings were sold days before the league season started and he had us in a relegation battle and finally admitted he'd ran out of ideas when we were on a horrendous run. And the 2nd was with Falkirk where he bizarrely threw the whole basis of his success up until that point out the window and took his foot off the pedal and let another guy decide his signings for him.

In those other 8 seasons, he won a title with Alloa then won the play-offs, then won us the league with John Brown's players, then had us in the top 6 then had us 8th, but with some of the best attacking play seen at Dens for a long time resulting in players being in contention for the best in Scotland.

He then took you on and saved you in a relegation season.

He moved to Cove and promoted them at first attempt and has had them battling for top spot last year and now seems to be strolling the league this year.

His season at Falkirk which fucked you completely is a complete anomaly to the rest of his career. He's the hardest working manager I've witnessed and would regularly travel down South midweek just to watch U23 games to scout. His problem with us was that he got rid of any scouting system and basically took it on his shoulders to find players which eventually came to haunt him. He goes to Falkirk then hands that responsibility over to someone else. Mind boggling.

Tell me a manager in the Scottish leagues right now that's had 8 successful seasons out of their past 10 and we'd be counting on one hand. He's certainly better than a lot of the other names being linked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Seems like Hemmings & Sanders will both be missing Killie next game on the 8th Jan v Queen of the South 🙂

Sanders is no great miss at all. Hemings appeal may yet be successful. 

Edited by Fide
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Hit or miss!!

He signed an entire squad of unbelievable dross in the space of one close season and basically doomed Falkirk to the seaside leagues.

Hit or miss for Cove I should say. He's certainly got us on an upwarded trajectory so passing marks so far.

For Falkirk @Ludo*1 summed it up above. 

 

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

In his 10 seasons of management, he's only really had 2 out and out failure seasons. 1 when Stewart and Hemmings were sold days before the league season started and he had us in a relegation battle and finally admitted he'd ran out of ideas when we were on a horrendous run. And the 2nd was with Falkirk where he bizarrely threw the whole basis of his success up until that point out the window and took his foot off the pedal and let another guy decide his signings for him.

In those other 8 seasons, he won a title with Alloa then won the play-offs, then won us the league with John Brown's players, then had us in the top 6 then had us 8th, but with some of the best attacking play seen at Dens for a long time resulting in players being in contention for the best in Scotland.

He then took you on and saved you in a relegation season.

He moved to Cove and promoted them at first attempt and has had them battling for top spot last year and now seems to be strolling the league this year.

His season at Falkirk which fucked you completely is a complete anomaly to the rest of his career. He's the hardest working manager I've witnessed and would regularly travel down South midweek just to watch U23 games to scout. His problem with us was that he got rid of any scouting system and basically took it on his shoulders to find players which eventually came to haunt him. He goes to Falkirk then hands that responsibility over to someone else. Mind boggling.

Tell me a manager in the Scottish leagues right now that's had 8 successful seasons out of their past 10 and we'd be counting on one hand. He's certainly better than a lot of the other names being linked.

He's generally done well and you'll know a lot more about him than I do. His achievements at Alloa are self evident though I think saw the writing on the wall and got out before he took his reputation back down. I take his achievements at Cove so far with a pinch of salt though. He's got a massive budget advantage over all his rivals in the last 2 or 3 seasons with the exception of Thistle last year and possibly Falkirk who are a car crash anyway. He certainly had a far bigger budget than Airdrie and lost to them in the playoffs last season. He won't really be tested at cove until the Championship next season, assuming they do go on and get promoted. They are a good side and I'm not knocking him, I just don't think it's proving all that much yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's generally done well and you'll know a lot more about him than I do. His achievements at Alloa are self evident though I think saw the writing on the wall and got out before he took his reputation back down. I take his achievements at Cove so far with a pinch of salt though. He's got a massive budget advantage over all his rivals in the last 2 or 3 seasons with the exception of Thistle last year and possibly Falkirk who are a car crash anyway. He certainly had a far bigger budget than Airdrie and lost to them in the playoffs last season. He won't really be tested at cove until the Championship next season, assuming they do go on and get promoted. They are a good side and I'm not knocking him, I just don't think it's proving all that much yet.

Tend to agree with all of that to be honest. Perhaps QP and Falkirk have bigger budgets than us this season. Both are full time along with Airdrie.

He's certainly at least met expectations in his 2 years. Losing the playoff semi final was a disappointment but it happened cruely; was snatched away from us in stoppage by an individual goalkeeping error when undoubtedly we were the better side across the 2 legs. We chased Partick to the wire. That's football though and credit to the Diamonds.

This season bounced back, top at NY, in semis of one diddy cup and 4th round of Scottish Cup.

Either fortunate to get the "golden" lower league job at Cove and fortunate to get the Dundee job or he got given them for a reason. Depends what way you look at it.

I'm not his biggest fan but and hence wouldn't mind if he left but at the same time I recognise he's done an admirable job. Takes up to the Championship it's a great achievement in 3 years. 

His stock value is high, probably his best chance to get back to full time at a club who could get conceivable be in the Prem next season.

 

Edited by CoveRangers1922
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...