The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Apart from two decent spells under Mixu/Shiels and latterly Steve Clarke, we have been pretty awful for much of the last 10-15 years. I can't really say we didn't have it coming at some point.

I'm not too despondent - I first started following when we were in the bottom division so I remember (vaguely) that there is more to life than hovering around the bottom of the top league. Maybe we'll actually win some matches hopefully.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

The likes of Stephen O'Donnell and Kris Boyd trying to pin this on Angelo Alessio is systematic of the problems facing Killie right now. On a much, much smaller scale, it very much reminds me of the absolutely poisonous atmosphere at Rangers when Le Guen was in charge and Tommy Wright's comments suggest there's numerous attitude problems as well.

In a similar way as it has been for Hibs & Rangers in recent times, this relegation might be good for Killie in the long run to flush out the 'old boys' network and start a fresh.

I find it staggering that people are still blaming Alessio for this. He hasnt been in charge for about 17 months. Plenty of time to get rid of deadwood, trouble makers etc. As an outsider I actually feel Alex Dyer did more harm than Alessio. I believe if they'd have gave AA more of a chance they'd have finished 6th at worst last season and probably the same this season. Sadly for him he was doomed after the Nomads game

I can see Killy coming straight back up. A proven manager, the ability to sign decent players at the level, and the fanbase should see them challenging in my view. There’s no doubt the management decisions after Clark were pretty much a disaster but as much as it will be hurting right now things can turn around pretty quickly.

8 hours ago, Exiledjag said:

I don't know if Killie fans will agree but although the Championship looks to be very competitive next season Killie have two big advantages that should help you get straight back to the SPL.

A DeLorean and a flux capacitor?

I cant say I can think of one Killy poster of the top of my head, I used to like you guys but your time has come. 

Do you guys have an eviction notice for this section of the forum? Does the countdown begin now. 

2 hours ago, Hazbart said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Welcome back to where you belong....

Aye that's right, 78% of our league history in the top tier 🤦‍♂️

Obviously, I am absolutely gutted to see us being relegated and fair play to Dundee as they absolutely deserved to win the two matches and gain promotion. However, it can hopefully allow us to clear out the squad and enable the board and Wright to pinpoint where it has all gone wrong this season and hopefully fix this for the upcoming season. 

In an ideal world, a season of playing four Ayrshire derbies, potentially winning the Championship and the Scottish Challenge Cup (obviously the highlight of any Scottish Cup competition and player's CV), not playing any of the Old Firm in the league and not losing three/four games against Aberdeen, is not the worst thing. Especially, with the (hopefully) added bonus of being able to head to Inverness, Dumfries and Arbroath for away games. 

However, just looking at some of the teams to be relegated into the Championship in recent years like Dundee, Dundee United and Hibs, does highlight the fact that the Championship can be a difficult league to get out of for a recently relegated side. Especially with teams like Patrick Thistle, Dunfermline, Raith, Ayr and of course Hamilton (who will inevitably turn into world beaters and completely run away with the league) all arguably having a chance of finishing in the Playoffs or winning the league as well. 

TL/DR version: one season in the Championship and getting promoted in the first time of asking= not the worst thing. More than one season in the Championship= absolutely horrifying. 

9 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I cant say I can think of one Killy poster of the top of my head, I used to like you guys but your time has come. 

Do you guys have an eviction notice for this section of the forum? Does the countdown begin now. 

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/267787-pb-gtf-day-2021-sunday-june-6th/&tab=comments#comment-14480400

10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

The likes of Stephen O'Donnell and Kris Boyd trying to pin this on Angelo Alessio is systematic of the problems facing Killie right now. On a much, much smaller scale, it very much reminds me of the absolutely poisonous atmosphere at Rangers when Le Guen was in charge and Tommy Wright's comments suggest there's numerous attitude problems as well.

In a similar way as it has been for Hibs & Rangers in recent times, this relegation might be good for Killie in the long run to flush out the 'old boys' network and start a fresh.

This.

The club gave average, past-it players like Dicker and Broadfoot too much power based off of one good season.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Are Killie fans wanting Wright kept on? 

Even after last night? 

I think the vast majority of Killie fans are of the opinion that the issues of this season have stemmed from the board, the players and poor recruitment pre-Wright. Before Wright came in, we were struggling to defend and score goals (along with other issues as well). Outwidth the last two matches and we have actually looked a lot better under Wright, especially offensively, in large part thanks to Wright's only signing. Despite, the defensive issues still being there, Wright has definitely improved the team since coming in and for that reason deserves at least this upcoming transfer window in order to clear out the squad and build a new one. 

Obviously, there will still be a minority that will voice their disdain towards Wright for the situation that we find ourselves now in. Given the list of out of work managers that Ludo would draw up for a new manager thread and some of the 'managers' linked to us last time, Wright definitely is still the best option for us going forward.