The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

9 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Thats McGinn signed from Hibs

I hope he does well. He absolutely dominated that league last time he was in it and remains one of my favourite players for that period. He also seems to be a good influence in the dressing room, he raises standards and, for us anyway, he led by example. I don't know how he did for Morton at the end of last season, but I don't think the fact he hadn't played as much over the last couple of seasons will be a particularly bad thing. The injuries should hopefully be healed and the legs fresh. Hope it works out.

17 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

He clearly didn't fancy playing lower league football.

We loaned him out twice to Championship clubs. He seems to have been a "prospect" for the past 9 years without ever really fulfilling his early promise that he showed as a 16 year old. He's 25 now and a succession of Kilmarnock managers have used him as a bit part player, plus he's been loaned out to lower league clubs multiple times and had several injuries. Can't see him doing much in the Premiership to be honest, he's been trying to for nearly a decade without ever really managing to consistently get in the team or consistently impact matches.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Question for Killie fans. We are taking Greg Kiltie. Do you guys think he will be able to make the step up?

I know this is in jest but I will answer.

Against the poorer sides in the league he is a very good player to have as he can pick the ball up in good positions and has a few goals in him. Scored a few big goals for us and seemed to always turn up in big games. Sad to see him go but I wish him all the best. If you play him behind the striker he can do things, if he’s out wide he may struggle.

5 minutes ago, superkillieaway said:

Against the poorer sides in the league he is a very good player to have as he can pick the ball up in good positions and has a few goals in him. Scored a few big goals for us and seemed to always turn up in big games. Sad to see him go but I wish him all the best. If you play him behind the striker he can do things, if he’s out wide he may struggle.

Well he doesn't "always" turn up in big games, does he? Given that he played behind the striker in our recent big games and didn't turn up when we  needed him to, though neither did his team mates. He's one of those players who has grown in reputation amongst the support as being some sort of secret weapon who just needs games, but he's had a decade and numerous managers and never really been able to show that his reputation is justified. He's probably a Championship player in all honesty.

24 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Well he doesn't "always" turn up in big games, does he? Given that he played behind the striker in our recent big games and didn't turn up when we  needed him to, though neither did his team mates. He's one of those players who has grown in reputation amongst the support as being some sort of secret weapon who just needs games, but he's had a decade and numerous managers and never really been able to show that his reputation is justified. He's probably a Championship player in all honesty.

32 minutes ago, superkillieaway said:

For as many games as he influences, he's equally anonymous in the others.

I've no doubt TW wanted him for the championship but he's by no means irreplaceable.

A meh from me, when Killie announced he was gone tbh....

Edited by C4mmy31

Flashes of good play from Kiltie at times but he did disappear for large parts of games. I was convinced he was going to St J and I think he would have really fitted in there, with players like Wotherspoon etc.

This might be a make or break move for him.

Good player over all though and I wish he could have stayed with us.

Edited by NFL12

Kiltie will get 4 goals a season be injured for a few months and be in and out the team. Wasn’t arsed him leaving Killie, only ever played consistently when we were shite. Clarke had him on loan to Morton 

Kiltie will get 4 goals a season be injured for a few months and be in and out the team. Wasn’t arsed him leaving Killie, only ever played consistently when we were shite. Clarke had him on loan to Morton 
Exactly.
Clarke wanted him nowhere near the first team.
Loaned him out to championship sides twice.

Maybe he sits in that group of players who are too good for one division and not quite good enough for the next level up, but Kiltie is not a Championship player. He's far too good for this level.

I don't think McGinn is a particularly good signing for a side intending to challenge for the title. If he's there as experienced cover then you could do much worse, but it's nothing to be excited about.

There are absolutely sides at this level he'd be a starter for and I'd have been happy to take him back at a relegation fighting rabble like ourselves, but he's not the player he was. While he had a smattering of great performances for us, he had just as many shockers. There were games where he was actively a hindrance, slowing us down by playing at such a pedestrian pace. Maybe with a full pre-season and regular football throughout the season rather than being thrown in when he wasn't sharp in March he'll look better for it, but given the choice of which holding midfielder to keep you'll struggle to find a Morton fan who'd have taken McGinn over Jacobs.

I would say that he absolutely swaggered through the second leg v Airdrie and being in the ground gave an appreciation of how good he was off the ball which didn't come through in streams so maybe he was always offering that and it was going unseen, but it's just as credible that he was only looking better because he was up against League One opposition.

12 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Maybe he sits in that group of players who are too good for one division and not quite good enough for the next level up, but Kiltie is not a Championship player. He's far too good for this level.

I don't think McGinn is a particularly good signing for a side intending to challenge for the title. If he's there as experienced cover then you could do much worse, but it's nothing to be excited about.

There are absolutely sides at this level he'd be a starter for and I'd have been happy to take him back at a relegation fighting rabble like ourselves, but he's not the player he was. While he had a smattering of great performances for us, he had just as many shockers. There were games where he was actively a hindrance, slowing us down by playing at such a pedestrian pace. Maybe with a full pre-season and regular football throughout the season rather than being thrown in when he wasn't sharp in March he'll look better for it, but given the choice of which holding midfielder to keep you'll struggle to find a Morton fan who'd have taken McGinn over Jacobs.

I would say that he absolutely swaggered through the second leg v Airdrie and being in the ground gave an appreciation of how good he was off the ball which didn't come through in streams so maybe he was always offering that and it was going unseen, but it's just as credible that he was only looking better because he was up against League One opposition.

That's called a John Baird.

8 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

That's called a John Baird.

Baird was never too good for this division, just had a few good seasons and one excellent one in it. I'm talking your Martin Hardie types who'd tear the second tier up for arsepaper every time they were in it but just not quite cut it in the top flight.

Think McGinn will be a very astute bit of business from Wright. Hell keep the team ticking over and keep the opposition moving across the field. Has (certainly had) a really good knack of always being able to find a bit of space for himself or come out of 50/50's the victor. 

People will moan he won't run about like a fucking idiot but that's why you pay other people to be idiots. 

Hope it works out for him. 

On 08/06/2021 at 09:27, Dunning1874 said:

Baird was never too good for this division, just had a few good seasons and one excellent one in it. I'm talking your Martin Hardie types who'd tear the second tier up for arsepaper every time they were in it but just not quite cut it in the top flight.

Coll Donaldson too. Had the cigars out for us in the Championship but was/is shite for United and County in the Premiership.