The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

20 minutes ago, smpar said:

Killie look to be establishing a very capable Championship squad, yet one that would need a fair bit of work if you’re to go back up straight away. To be fair, the ‘build a squad good enough for the league above’ approach didn’t exactly work for Falkirk, so who knows.

We've only got 7 signed players so it's still to early to guage how it'll work out....

The lad MacDonald  from Raith is supposidly on the radar along with Remi Matthews at Sunderland.

Edited by C4mmy31

2 hours ago, smpar said:

Killie look to be establishing a very capable Championship squad, yet one that would need a fair bit of work if you’re to go back up straight away. To be fair, the ‘build a squad good enough for the league above’ approach didn’t exactly work for Falkirk, so who knows.

We did the opposite this season and built a squad good enough for the league below.

Edited by craigkillie

We've only got 7 signed players so it's still to early to guage how it'll work out....
The lad MacDonald  from Raith is supposidly on the radar along with Remi Matthews at Sunderland.

That’s me gauging your entire pre-season/full squad based on your first two signings, so I could have entirely misjudged, that’s just how it’s looking so far.

Blair Alston and Remi Matthews are the latest rumours. 

Can’t remember Matthews but he will defo be an upgrade on the keepers last season. 

Alston is a massive no from me. Absolutely hopeless from what I remember. 

I appreciate we are a championship side, and I think our recruitment has been very sensible but I feel like some of our fans are getting a bit carried away with it. We still need one or two “quality” players in amongst players like Armstrong, Murray etc if we want to challenge for the league. 

Edited by Nadroj

20 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Blair Alston has signed.

Weird one from a Saints perspective, as TW clearly had no idea where to use him at us.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Weird one from a Saints perspective, as TW clearly had no idea where to use him at us.

Tommy Wright’s quote today was that he never wanted Alston to leave St Johnstone.

He’s clearly past his best but the Championship is a division where Kyle Turner is seen as a game-changing signing. There isn’t too high a hurdle to overcome.

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Tommy Wright’s quote today was that he never wanted Alston to leave St Johnstone.

He’s clearly past his best but the Championship is a division where Kyle Turner is seen as a game-changing signing. There isn’t too high a hurdle to overcome.

Tommy Wright is renowned for talking absolute shite tbf.

15 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I suppose the difference is Turner was rated as a stand out in the team that finished 2nd and went to the play off finals in league 1, whereas Alston was released from the team that finished 5th in that same league accompanied by various fans calling him "done" and "finished"

I love how everyone is assuming that because Alston played under Wright at St Johnstone and been brought in at Killie, he'll automatically be a starter.

Tommy needs to put a full squad together including backups as he's only our 8th confirmed signing for next season.

Edited by C4mmy31

1 hour ago, renton said:

I suppose the difference is Turner was rated as a stand out in the team that finished 2nd and went to the play off finals in league 1, whereas Alston was released from the team that finished 5th in that same league accompanied by various fans calling him "done" and "finished"

Turner was sent out on loan and replaced in Pars midfield by Lewis Mayo. Let’s not get carried away here.

I actually like Turner as a player and he probably will make a difference for Thistle. It just shows that the standard isn’t very high.

Daily Record reporting that we've signed Scott Robinson. He was poor for us in Gary Locke's team, but he's fairly turned himself around since then. If the Livi version of him turns up then that's a good signing IMO.

31 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Daily Record reporting that we've signed Scott Robinson. He was poor for us in Gary Locke's team, but he's fairly turned himself around since then. If the Livi version of him turns up then that's a good signing IMO.

When I saw him play for Livi I was sure it was a different player than the lightweight one that I had seen play for Hearts and Killie. A good signing I assumed he was going to another Premiership team tbh.

44 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

11 minutes ago, gannonball said:

When I saw him play for Livi I was sure it was a different player than the lightweight one that I had seen play for Hearts and Killie. A good signing I assumed he was going to another Premiership team tbh.

I think a thing people are forgetting with him though is that he was never good enough to be an actual starter for us. He spent 4 or 5 years being an option in rotation or off the bench. His main quality is just running about pressuring the defence but even at that we always had someone doing that already. He got a good run in the team this season in our winning run, but that was the first proper run in the team for a long time and was only due to Reilly picking up an injury and JET not being fit along with Poplatnik. He was great for us in big games against the Old Firm but that was when we'd sit deeper and play him as an attacking mid without a striker. 

His agent mucked him about with us, telling him folk were on triple his wages when it was nowhere near true. He stormed out the stadium after getting subbed off against Rangers and didn't play after that so obvious attitude issues as well. I don't think you'd find many Livi fans gutted about him being off but if he gets a run off games he should be an okay Championship level player.

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I thought you guys would have went for bigger name signings, especially since the directors said the playing budget wouldnt be cut. Armstrong and Murray are firmly championship players but Alston should be a cut above in this division 

The same Alston who bombed at Hamilton and Falkirk?