The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Kilmarnock aren't based in Glasgow, though.

I think you get my point - doesn't the sight of kids wearing BigotBros tops around the town piss you off more than those with, say, Barcelona or Real Madrid? There's a massive difference between a liking for a "tv team" who might get the occasional (ie once or twice a season) visitors from abroad, and a growing affinity for either of the big Glasgow sides, who stand to make a lot more if wee Johnny tips up regularly at their ground for his live fix.

Please note that I'm basing this solely on football, as well.

As far as I'm aware, they pick up in Kilmarnock too. After checking, there is an Ayrshire branch too. 

On your second point you're correct however. Kilmarnock's biggest rivals for customers are Rangers, Celtic and lethargy. All this situation is doing is enforcing the point that you shouldn't bother supporting Killie because at the end of the day only two clubs in Scotland really matter. As I said earlier in the thread, we need to start doing our best to promote Kilmarnock F.C. itself rather than pander to the Old Firm fans for a cheap buck. We don't do enough in the local area to help encourage kids to start supporting Killie and haven't done for decades. Jim Mann in his letter to shareholders seems to believe that if we offer cheap tickets then that should be enough to just magically produce supporters but it doesn't work like that. Cheap tickets only work if they're brought in alongside a sustained programme in the community to enhance the club's standing and make it an appealing prospect. Right now, sitting in a stadium with two closed stands (for a lot of games) and watching a team you have no connection to fight relegation isn't the most enticing prospect for prospective fans.

We have an asset now in Lee Clark, whose energy and enthusiasm is infectious and we need to find a way of harnessing that in order to get fans and prospective fans excited about coming along to Rugby Park again. Open training or signing sessions; meet the manager events; appearances at local schools, youth clubs, Junior sides etc all would have been better ways to spend our Saturday off rather than pander to a game that 90% of Kilmarnock supporters couldn't give a flying f**k about? Hell, could we not have had an open training session and worked with Hurlford United so they had a league game afterwards at Rugby Park? I'm sure Hurlford would be glad of the extra publicity and I've said for a while we need to start working closely with them and try to arrange something such as discounted double tickets for entry to Blair Park and Rugby Park if we can get the kick-off times of the 'ford games to be slightly earlier. There just seems to be nobody at Rugby Park that is willing to think outside the box, and everyone instead is willing to just sit idly by and watch our club drift away.

Say we have a group of fans that turned up to the St Johnstone game and thought "that was excellent, I really enjoyed that so I'll come back after the split" and even a handful of them see the Old Firm pandering and get annoyed enough to not bother turning back up this season - we're doing ourselves more damage than good.

WRK I'm not subscribing to the idea that the transmission of Rangers vs Celtic is going to have the slightest impact on the numbers of supporters from the town for either side.

QLP's point about Clark being an asset is bang on, and your idea about community engagement is fantastic - but that's not being debated as a mutually exclusive alternative here. On the basis of what's been presented, the only issue is us advertising for an unrelated business free of charge.

WRK I'm not subscribing to the idea that the transmission of Rangers vs Celtic is going to have the slightest impact on the numbers of supporters from the town for either side.

QLP's point about Clark being an asset is bang on, and your idea about community engagement is fantastic - but that's not being debated as a mutually exclusive alternative here. On the basis of what's been presented, the only issue is us advertising for an unrelated business free of charge.

It's simply indicative of the club's attitude to making a quick buck and fúck the sustained business plan. 

While QLP makes several very valid points - I especially like the idea of a tie-in with Hurlford - our major problem is that we seem to have no way of actually promoting the club - indeed many of the "ideas" emanating from RP in the last few years seem calculated to alienate the fans we do have, rather than gaining more. Johnston's claim to the word "Killie" was , for me, perhaps the lowpoint. 

As for the advertising for the freak show - the business may be unrelated, but the product is exactly the same as the one the club should be pushing themselves, not reinforcing the belief that many have that we are up the Ugly Sisters' arses. 

Lastly, Clark does indeed appear to be an asset, but we should remember what happened to the last manager we had who could motivate both players and fans...

No he won't.

Guaranteed to bolt

To where? I really like the guy, and I truly think he's a potentially pivotal appointment - but let's not kid ourselves on, LC needs us as much as we need him.

If we're relegated and he resigns - and I don't think either will happen - what is his next appointment? His last three won't exactly look too appealing.

No he won't.

Guaranteed to bolt

I don't think he will as Estragon suggests Lee Clark needs us as much as we need him. 

Look at the following potential versions of his CV assuming we get relegated and which is more appealing - 

Birmingham City - sacked 1pt above relegation zone 

Blackpool - Resigned after relegation 

Kilmarnock - Resigned after relegation 

Or 

Birmingham City - sacked 1pt above relegation zone 

Blackpool - Resigned after relegation 

Kilmarnock - Relegated, led team to promotion 1st time asking/made playoffs 

If we go down he will stick around, I do appreciate that there is a 3rd potential relegation cv where we start the season like St Mirren did this year, but that would still mean he wouldn't bolt after a relegation.

Because their ground is about five minutes away from Rugby Park. It would mean that some sort of plan where you can get entry to both matches on the same day might actually work.

Not sure if the 50 Hurlford fans that go every week will have much of an affect on our gates to be honest.

I think much of what swung Killie for Lee Clark was seeing what the likes of Alex Neil has done.  Do extremely well at a Scottish top flight club and English Premier chairmen will take notice....

I think much of what swung Killie for Lee Clark was seeing what the likes of Alex Neil has done.  Do extremely well at a Scottish top flight club and English Premier chairmen will take notice....

I just assumed he'd always wanted to work for a sociopathic megalomaniac.

Edited by Sweet Pete

Norwich were in the Championship when Neil went there. 

Even so, I think the days of that happening are gone bar a few exceptions. You've only got to look at the brilliant work done by Tommy Wright and Robbie Neilson and they barely get a mention for jobs down south. Granted Lee Clark has a bigger reputation down there, but unless he wins the league at Killie the best he can hope for is a mid-table Championship team. Newcastle, for example.