The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Look, the Boyd I saw score a 20 yard volley on the angle at Firhill isn't the Boyd of today. He doesn't have to be to hold down a starting place at Killie. But let's not pretend he hasn't peaked.

He'll still score more goals than any Partick striker.

Yes we've signed 3 ageing players from a team that finished 3rd in the second tier but let's break them down.

Boyd is a proven goalscorer for Kilmarnock, and given the correct service plus a desire to prove last season was more down to the club he was at rather than him being on the decline.

Smith is a left back, a position we have struggled to fill in the last few seasons and have resorted to playing right backs in that position at the end of last season. Would still like to see us bring in extra cover for left back but the Smith signing strengthens the team.

McCulloch, the main reason for the other supporters to currently point and laugh, has a 3 year player/assistant manager deal. I'll bet that 2 years of that deal are as AM only. He's a backup squad player this season who as much as I detest as a player will prove to be useful when injuries/suspensions kick in. I'll be shocked if he makes more than 10 appearances this season.

It is telling that we played 2 different teams v Berwick yesterday and 'elbows' got a grand total of 0 minutes.

If McCulloch had received a playing only deal then it would quite rightly receive seethe from Killie fans and scorn from everyone else.

With regards to this being a gamble, 2 positions Killie have all been strengthened so far by Gary Locke. McCulloch is here as assistant manager and will be an extra body squad only called upon emergency.

Not as much of a gamble as it first appears

According to one of the papers he didn't play yesterday because he isn't registered yet.

But could he not have played as a trialist yesterday to bypass this?

Probably paper shite as usual.

He'll still score more goals than any Partick striker.

Cool, mate.

I'm confident we've got goals throughout the team. We're not a one-man side, a la Kilmarnock 2013/14.

Yes we've signed 3 ageing players from a team that finished 3rd in the second tier but let's break them down.

Boyd is a proven goalscorer for Kilmarnock, and given the correct service plus a desire to prove last season was more down to the club he was at rather than him being on the decline.

Smith is a left back, a position we have struggled to fill in the last few seasons and have resorted to playing right backs in that position at the end of last season. Would still like to see us bring in extra cover for left back but the Smith signing strengthens the team.

McCulloch, the main reason for the other supporters to currently point and laugh, has a 3 year player/assistant manager deal. I'll bet that 2 years of that deal are as AM only. He's a backup squad player this season who as much as I detest as a player will prove to be useful when injuries/suspensions kick in. I'll be shocked if he makes more than 10 appearances this season.

It is telling that we played 2 different teams v Berwick yesterday and 'elbows' got a grand total of 0 minutes.

If McCulloch had received a playing only deal then it would quite rightly receive seethe from Killie fans and scorn from everyone else.

With regards to this being a gamble, 2 positions Killie have all been strengthened so far by Gary Locke. McCulloch is here as assistant manager and will be an extra body squad only called upon emergency.

Not as much of a gamble as it first appears

Agree with almost all of this.

Boyd - absolutely delighted to see him back - more so than on his last return when I was unconvinced. Besides his goals, he was a great representative for the club when called to meet the media. I'm confident he'll prove an asset yet again now he's come home.

Smith - Not a player i would have had at the top of my list, but left-back is a problem position, so someone who naturally plays there has to be a good thing. Like another poster on here, I was disappointed Chantler didn't carry on his good early form, but maybe we've just been spoilt with years of Hooky making the position his own?

McCullough? Well, I've already made my disdain for him as a player clearly known. I really struggle to see how he adds anything to the squad. As a coach, it could well be a different story -only time will tell, but he certainly appears passionate enough. We can only hope he can instil that attitude into the players - without the urge to cheat and assault opponents. On balance, probably a good signing as a coach and hopefully a last resort as a player.

Add Higginbotham, Carrick, Findlay and McDonald, and we should surely be able to maintain some sort of progression this season. I'm certainly happier overall than I was a month ago.

Is anyone else thinking that top 6 is a possibility this year??

As I've said before, if take Celtic and Aberdeen out, then there isn't much of a difference between the rest of the sides in this league. All it takes is a side to go on a run of some sort, which can change their season.

Is anyone else thinking that top 6 is a possibility this year??

Well, technically anything's a possibility! I don't want to get too carried away this year - especially not after our false start last year before we visited Celtic Park. While top 6 would indeed be brilliant, I think 7th is a fairly realistic goal to aim for at present. Given that some of our fans (particularly on killiefc.com) will be expecting, nay - demanding - us to finish in the top 3/4, I'm happy just to aim for doing better than the dross of the past two seasons.

Unlucky lads, Tommy Wright hopes to offer Liam Craig a contract at some point during the next week. You came close.. but not close enough. In hindsight, Liam would never have joined our Meh Derby rivals anyway.

Does not mean he will sign though?? You never know!! Anything is possible in this crazy world