The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Three year deal - a bit bold handing him that long surely?

I dunno, giving him 3 year will let him know he's not under any immediate pressure and has time to get his ideas across, I think he will do well for you lads. Sort of started it all off with Hearts, likeable guy aswell.

A three year contract is utterly ludicrous for a guy who is completely unproven as a manager and who was unlikely to have many other options out there. What if it turns out (as was suggested by his time at Hearts) that he's absolutely hopeless and we're sitting bottom of the league in December next year? Are we going to have to fork out compensation for two and a half years to get rid of him?

Without going into the length of his contract Gary Locke deserves this chance. He is a hard working manager and did a great job in the final games with Hearts last season (18 from 24pts) and has built up experience from Jeffries/ Brown etc also during his own experiences. He knows the club and has done more than steady a rocky ship. This is a job where he has certainly got to prove himself and I hope for Kilmarnock and himself he does. Btw also a good lad.

3 year deal is too long imo but i'm pretty sure there will be performance clauses in there. Certainly a relegation or playoff clause.

He's got the team playing better and we look fitter and more hungry than we did under AJ. Got players like Mark Connolly out aswell so has played a lot of youth guys with decent results.

Happy to give him a chance, his first batch of signings in summer will give us an idea of how his tenure will go.

I agree with those that are saying a three-year deal is mental on the face of it. Whether the deal is a straight three or with clauses etc we don't know.

We can judge him better when we peruse his summer signings , but I am not giving him credit for Boyd if he returns ^_^

I can't see us needing to make many signings this summer. We have the base of a decent squad, so only need one or two signings with youth players to step up alongside. I can see a few like Lee Miller and Paul Cairney leaving, with Locke re-signing Sammy Clingan, Manuel Pascali (well, jobs for the lads, eh?) and Nathan Eccleston who looks to have something about him. Then we'll hopefully see the impressive Dean Hawkshaw step up from the Under 20's to provide right-back cover, Aaron Splaine to provide legs in the final third should we need them, and I guess we'll see on Saturday how ready David Syme is to provide cover at the back.

Going by Locke's presser words today we'll be focussing on youth (and rightly so) so additions will be few and far between. If we bring in Boyd then we should hopefully have ended our hunt for a clinical finisher, so should possibly be looking at another centre-back (Daniels from WBA on loan would be my number one choice) and maybe a new left or right back should a decent one come available (is Barry Douglas too unrealistic given he's OOC in the summer?). I think the judgement on Locke will come when we see how he sticks to his promises re: youth players getting a chance and wanting to play attacking football.

Another sign will be how he handles the situations regarding Pascali and Eremenko. Pascali has been poor this season, and Eremenko has flattered to deceive (a few glory moments aside). Can we afford to keep two high earners based on their past glories? Then again, re-signing both will likely appease the support. Tough one, and if I had to guess then I can see Locke signing Pascali over Eremenko. We seem to be persisting with this 4-4-2, and although Magennis and Eccleston have linked up well it leaves us exposed in the middle of the park at times. I like the idea of Boyd playing off Josh or Nathan next season, and think that fits more into Locke's style than Eremenko spraying passes. We'll see though.

Congrats and welcome to Gary Locke! Typical of some to have negative comments before he's even put a team on the park!

He has put teams out, seven of them in fact as interim manager. The overwhelming reaction since Locke took the reigns has been positive, with most feeling he probably deserves a shot at the job permanently. The only 'negative' has been toward the length of his contract, but that's nothing to do with Locke himself, and that worry is completely justified.

Me thinks you're either shit stirring or talking out your arse.

utterly disgusted by this appointment. got a bad bad feeling about how this is going to end up. even when calderwood got the job I thought he'd save us from relegation. but all my crystal ball sees with locke is misery