The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Jim mann was excellent tonight.

Totally ignored mj during his long and emotional speech.

Somehow some clown thanked MJ for the brilliant job he'd done. Unbelievable. What was worse, some folk, about a dozen clapped.

Thats because some people think MJ has done a good job.

I know actions speak louder than words but I've just watched the interview with Jim Mann on the STV website and I like the cut of his jib so far.

Ditto.

Talk of uniting the fans is positive, although I hope certain 'high-profile' supporters can lay their cynicism to one side for the time being, to see what can change under JM.

There are plenty of other managers out there who would be keen to take the job - the club is in a decent enough position to take over.

Locke has done OK since taking over, but I'm worried that 7 or 8 games is far too small a sample size to judge his record on - especially when it's hardly as though the guy has gone out and won all of them. He seems to be an improvement on AJ, but that shouldn't be enough to automatically earn the job.

If we do give him it then it should be a shortish term contract - we don't want to be in a position where he fails and we can't afford to pay him off.

There are plenty of other managers out there who would be keen to take the job - the club is in a decent enough position to take over.

Locke has done OK since taking over, but I'm worried that 7 or 8 games is far too small a sample size to judge his record on - especially when it's hardly as though the guy has gone out and won all of them. He seems to be an improvement on AJ, but that shouldn't be enough to automatically earn the job.

If we do give him it then it should be a shortish term contract - we don't want to be in a position where he fails and we can't afford to pay him off.

The players seem to love working for him, he's had not that bad a record as caretaker, quite a few of the youngsters are looking better ('wee Messi', O'Hara) and he has experience and knowledge of bringing through youngsters.

Like you said though, give him a one year deal, so if things go badly we can get rid of him cheaply and effectively.

As craigkillie says, he's better than AJ, but any half-competent Football Manager fanatic would be.

Jim Mann has been clear- he wants to reshape the 'footballing philosophy' and implement it across all age groups. I don't see Locke (or many other managers) being able to do that. That's a Director of Football post and I don't think we have the spare cash for anyone with experience of linking all squads together.

First things first though- we need to tie up our better younger players on long term contracts.

Secondly, I'd like to see as much time and effort put into marketing and community initiatives to make Kilmarnock FC part of Kilmarnock again. Although there was a complete buzz after the league cup win, we didn't capitalise on it, at all. Going back to 1997 after the cup win, the club was something to be proud of. The players were present in the community and the community responded with their support.

We need an extra 1000 fans at the games. I think the match-day experience is an area that Mann is keen to improve but with alcohol and pretzels being cited as one of the reasons he thought German match days were more fun, it's going to take a national reform before we can sit in the East stand with a bier. As said before, if it was my gig, I'd be throwing my weight behind community initiatives to get people back into the habit of attending RP once a fortnight.

It is a valid clause in the sense of it being utilised to get rid of a failing or failure of a manager, (Hiya AJ!), but given how MJ previously used this clause, to get rid of a Manager who was only 5 minutes and a Rory Boulting goal away from making top 6 I can't say I blame Gary Locke for refusing to sign until it is removed from the contract.

Kenny Sheils would be an excellent Director of Football and wouldn't cost a fortune.[/quote

^^^^^ this

Good to see a few fans that would welcome the messiah back

I don't think anyone wouldn't have him back in a non-managerial role. Shiels biggest flaws were his media handling at all times and tactical awareness at certain times. Folk mention that he was 5 minutes and a Rory Boulding goal from making the top six, and that is correct. But why look to other teams failing to do their job first? If we hadn't have set out against Dundee so negatively with the already well gone Garry Hay in left midfield then we'd have surely beaten an already relegated Dundee and made it on our own backs.

The tactical mistakes can be excused at times, certainly at this level, and I've yet to see anything to suggest that Locke is any better of a tactician. However, Dundee game aside, I have no doubts that Shiels wouldn't have lost his job if he had been able to behave properly. The clause was there, and MJ used it as an excuse to get rid of what he perceived to be a problem. Shiels as head of youth or the like would be perfect for him, but why leave a cushty job doing that same thing somewhere else, to come back and likely have restrictions on his media work etc? I'd be very shocked if it happened.

ame="kennysmassiveego" post="9344802" timestamp="1427915578"]

I don't think anyone wouldn't have him back in a non-managerial role. Shiels biggest flaws were his media handling at all times and tactical awareness at certain times. Folk mention that he was 5 minutes and a Rory Boulding goal from making the top six, and that is correct. But why look to other teams failing to do their job first? If we hadn't have set out against Dundee so negatively with the already well gone Garry Hay in left midfield then we'd have surely beaten an already relegated Dundee and made it on our own backs.

The tactical mistakes can be excused at times, certainly at this level, and I've yet to see anything to suggest that Locke is any better of a tactician. However, Dundee game aside, I have no doubts that Shiels wouldn't have lost his job if he had been able to behave properly. The clause was there, and MJ used it as an excuse to get rid of what he perceived to be a problem. Shiels as head of youth or the like would be perfect for him, but why leave a cushty job doing that same thing somewhere else, to come back and likely have restrictions on his media work etc? I'd be very shocked if it happened.

There were also other major issues behind the scenes which were never made public, (if you are aware of them then you'll understand why they weren't). I really can't see Kenny coming back, (if he did I think we'd lose a few more players). Great coach, but severely lacking in man management and communication skills.