The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

26 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Aye, I'm kind of new to this optimism lark. I do feel we have a depth and resilience to the squad that has been lacking for a while, so yes, I believe we can win the division, and win it well. Obviously, if Raith grab a point at the weekend, It'll no' dae, and normal stoic resignation will be resumed.

The best side I've seen other than ourselves are actually Arbroath, and I think a point at Gayfield is a result most sides would be happy to take. I haven't see ICT play, but i'm given to understand their win at RP was a bit of a smash and grab, partly enabled by our inability to score at the other end.

It's just nice to be in a position where we're not looking at the rest of the Premiership and asking "right, who's going to be shitter than us this year?" I used to quite enjoy our times in Div One back in the 70s/80s - beating Airdrie, the neighbours or Morton was always preferable to drawing with Hibs or getting skelped by the Uglies. The occasional result against those two was brilliant, mind. I'll never forget Big D's piledriver to dump celtic out of the cup, or tam Brown's chip in a 2-0 league win against them.

Operation Give Burke The Ball failed against us, hence why we beat you.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Operation Give Burke The Ball failed against us, hence why we beat you.

Yeah, we were relying too much on Burkey at the start of the season, especially as we waited for Innes Cameron to find his shooting boots. We do appear to be seeing signs of others taking on more responsibility, though, making us less of a single-option side. Which was a pretty fair summation for a while. Or at least arguable.

On 28/09/2021 at 11:11, WhiteRoseKillie said:

This. Doesn't have to just be McGinn, all of our midfielders should have the confidence to play the ball around on the ground until options present themselves, and there are enough mobile lads in the team to make that a realistic style to adopt. That route one palaver at Arbroath was never going to work in what was basically a wind tunnel.

A wind tunnel 😂 a 10mph breeze whch if it wasn't being played at Gayfield wouldn't even be mentioned.

A wind tunnel [emoji23] a 10mph breeze whch if it wasn't being played at Gayfield wouldn't even be mentioned.
Yeah,I was getting pissed off with that being the commentators theme for the evening as well. But clearances which weren't clearing halfway in the first half were sailing over the goal line first bounce in the second. Not a criticism of the ground, but it was undeniably unsuitable weather for an attractive game.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

I can’t believe the guff being talked about this supposed strong wind and tough conditions at gayfield on Friday. It was about 15 degrees ffs and the flag was barely moving most of the time in what could be called no more than a breeze, a stiff breeze at worst only occasionally during the match. In fact there were times when the flag was hanging totally limp. Where the feck are Kilmarnock playing every week if some of their fans (and the media) think that was anything other than near perfect conditions for fitba, particularly in Scotland, in mid-September.

I've got no issues with the weather and don't think it affected the result, but the wind was clearly much stronger than we were used to, that was fairly obvious from watching. The idea that it was a beautiful windless night is nonsense, there were goal kicks and free-kicks being captured by gusts and blown well off course. I have been to Gayfield when the wind was much worse, but even a milder Gayfield wind is stronger than what you get anywhere else in the top two tiers.

47 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I've got no issues with the weather and don't think it affected the result, but the wind was clearly much stronger than we were used to, that was fairly obvious from watching. The idea that it was a beautiful windless night is nonsense, there were goal kicks and free-kicks being captured by gusts and blown well off course. I have been to Gayfield when the wind was much worse, but even a milder Gayfield wind is stronger than what you get anywhere else in the top two tiers.

I've only been to Gayfield a couple of times back in the day, and one of those visits was marked by lovely warm sunshine. The other comfortably secured a place in my top three Coldest Fucking Awaydays in Scotland, beating off competition from the likes of Methil and Pittodrie (although every time I went there it seemed to be winter).

Whether it's the orientation of the ground or simply proximity to the sea, there is an effect which appears to magnify any wind present. I understand resentment from Arbroath fans at this focus on something non-footballrelated rather than their current excellent form, but denying it's a windy ground is like denying the Marines have been banging yer Maw while yer da's on nights.

20 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I've only been to Gayfield a couple of times back in the day, and one of those visits was marked by lovely warm sunshine. The other comfortably secured a place in my top three Coldest Fucking Awaydays in Scotland, beating off competition from the likes of Methil and Pittodrie (although every time I went there it seemed to be winter).

Whether it's the orientation of the ground or simply proximity to the sea, there is an effect which appears to magnify any wind present. I understand resentment from Arbroath fans at this focus on something non-footballrelated rather than their current excellent form, but denying it's a windy ground is like denying the Marines have been banging yer Maw while yer da's on nights.

Nobody's denying that Gayfield can be windy but it wasn't on the Friday night. A very convienent excuse for for the opposition to shout about when their team has been outplayed. 

2 minutes ago, keptie said:

Nobody's denying that Gayfield can be windy but it wasn't on the Friday night. A very convienent excuse for for the opposition to shout about when their team has been outplayed. 

Anyone using wind as an excuse for any game is a blethering fool. We got well beaten there last season when you could barely punt it outside your own box (genuinely) but it was a pathetic excuse for not adapting.

2 minutes ago, keptie said:

Bang on. There are times when the wind is very strong at gayfield and, on occasion, it will adversely effect the game. At times the game becomes a farce but that is very rare. If Friday was considered worse than what any other team is used to then I must be living in a parallel universe. This is Scotland ffs and most places are windy, I live in Aberdeen and I would say it’s a windier place than Arbroath.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

In the top flight I obviously understand that stadiums are more closed and less exposed to the elements, the bigger ones anyway, but there’ll be a lot worse weather to contend with this season and not at Gayfield. 

I rewatched the game twice (first time I was too hungover) and it did not play a part at all. If Killie struggled with that then hopefully it is blowing a gale for the next fixture. 

I enjoyed that on Friday night by the way: met lots of good Killie fans. I wasn’t alive the last time we played. A lot of time for Kilmarnock really enjoyed some of their games over the years. Especially the Rangers ones. Looking forward to a trip down to Rugby Park. Good luck for the rest of your season.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

In the top flight I obviously understand that stadiums are more closed and less exposed to the elements, the bigger ones anyway, but there’ll be a lot worse weather to contend with this season and not at Gayfield. 

I rewatched the game twice (first time I was too hungover) and it did not play a part at all. If Killie struggled with that then hopefully it is blowing a gale for the next fixture. 

I enjoyed that on Friday night by the way: met lots of good Killie fans. I wasn’t alive the last time we played. A lot of time for Kilmarnock really enjoyed some of their games over the years. Especially the Rangers ones. Looking forward to a trip down to Rugby Park. Good luck for the rest of your season.

Guaranteed our next meeting at Rugby park it'll be blowing a gale