The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

9 hours ago, cdhafc1874 said:
10 hours ago, Sortmeout said:
Some boy posting on Twitter that ex Derby striker Chris Martin is signing for us which really would be a surprise. 

Chris Martin is under contract with Bristol City & has scored for them already this season.

Well there you go then we can file this rumour in the shite folder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/09/2021 at 18:09, the west curve said:

We will improve.

I think we will too. We’re still a bit light in the final third and we need to stop the hoofball shite, but I think the depth and strength of our squad will talk over the course of the season. 

What we have to see is that we are still picking up points and not looking vulnerable while missing a fair number of players who either are or promise to be key components of the side who should win this division by a distance. As posted above, we need a cutting edge up front and a settled midfield that we aren't tempted to bypass with route one tactics. I'm pretty optimistic, given what we've seen so far.

Mostly, though, I'm just glad we've got a keeper worthy of the name at last! If we'd had to keep those losers from last season, I reckon my BP would have led me straight down Stroke Street for a second time.

Every time Hemming plucks a ball out of the air or makes a good save I find myself shouting "see Doyle that's what a keeper is supposed to do"

I agree that we'll improve, I thought we looked far better once McGinn came on against Arbroath and started to pass it around.

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

What we have to see is that we are still picking up points and not looking vulnerable while missing a fair number of players who either are or promise to be key components of the side who should win this division by a distance. As posted above, we need a cutting edge up front and a settled midfield that we aren't tempted to bypass with route one tactics. I'm pretty optimistic, given what we've seen so far.

Mostly, though, I'm just glad we've got a keeper worthy of the name at last! If we'd had to keep those losers from last season, I reckon my BP would have led me straight down Stroke Street for a second time.

"Should win this division by a distance"? I'm all for positivity, but that sort of attitude is borderline arrogant, not to mention the fact that we aren't a team of superstars and we aren't steamrolling anyone, so it's also unfounded. If we win the league, and I stress if, it won't be by a distance, it'll be a grind over the line.

26 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

"Should win this division by a distance"? I'm all for positivity, but that sort of attitude is borderline arrogant, not to mention the fact that we aren't a team of superstars and we aren't steamrolling anyone, so it's also unfounded. If we win the league, and I stress if, it won't be by a distance, it'll be a grind over the line.

Aye, I'm kind of new to this optimism lark. I do feel we have a depth and resilience to the squad that has been lacking for a while, so yes, I believe we can win the division, and win it well. Obviously, if Raith grab a point at the weekend, It'll no' dae, and normal stoic resignation will be resumed.

The best side I've seen other than ourselves are actually Arbroath, and I think a point at Gayfield is a result most sides would be happy to take. I haven't see ICT play, but i'm given to understand their win at RP was a bit of a smash and grab, partly enabled by our inability to score at the other end.

It's just nice to be in a position where we're not looking at the rest of the Premiership and asking "right, who's going to be shitter than us this year?" I used to quite enjoy our times in Div One back in the 70s/80s - beating Airdrie, the neighbours or Morton was always preferable to drawing with Hibs or getting skelped by the Uglies. The occasional result against those two was brilliant, mind. I'll never forget Big D's piledriver to dump celtic out of the cup, or tam Brown's chip in a 2-0 league win against them.

2 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

Every time Hemming plucks a ball out of the air or makes a good save I find myself shouting "see Doyle that's what a keeper is supposed to do"

I agree that we'll improve, I thought we looked far better once McGinn came on against Arbroath and started to pass it around.

This. Doesn't have to just be McGinn, all of our midfielders should have the confidence to play the ball around on the ground until options present themselves, and there are enough mobile lads in the team to make that a realistic style to adopt. That route one palaver at Arbroath was never going to work in what was basically a wind tunnel.