The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

17 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

I'd echo this at Killie, he's very predictable at cutting inside his man, flashes of brilliance then disappears in the top level. 

Yep, I remember him breaking into our first team and you thought this guy is heading right for the top, but then he would as you say just disappear, and it’s not as thought youth does not get a chance at Motherwell. I would imaging he looks amazing at times at Championship level.

5 hours ago, Yorky said:

Honestly we saw enough of him at Motherwell to know he hasn’t. 

Footballs a funny game, Kevin Nisbet was playing in the Premiership with Partick in 2018, I doubt when he left and went down to league one you would've had anyone thinking he'd be a premier league striker in a couple of years. 

And yet here we are! It's absolutely not out of the realms of impossibility that Thomas could be a Premiership player in the future, dropping down a level and being a key player playing regularly will be good for him. 

20 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

I mean, what's wrong with getting a few of the players in the gear at the start of training, getting a few shots of them wearing the stuff and then using that? That's surely got to be better than what we've ended up doing. 

Yeah it wasn't great, I've been supporting Killie for nearly 40 years and have realised that sometimes we get things spot on and sometimes we go full tinpot, it's a roller-coaster, yesterday's photos of the kit are a big improvement though, love the away kit. 

Footballs a funny game, Kevin Nisbet was playing in the Premiership with Partick in 2018, I doubt when he left and went down to league one you would've had anyone thinking he'd be a premier league striker in a couple of years. 

And yet here we are! It's absolutely not out of the realms of impossibility that Thomas could be a Premiership player in the future, dropping down a level and being a key player playing regularly will be good for him. 

Same goes for Shankland. He even looked a huddy at Championship level for a bit.

43 minutes ago, D.V.T. said:

Same goes for Shankland. He even looked a huddy at Championship level for a bit.

Oh absolutely, as did Nisbet, when I seem him on loan at Ayr he was so, so shite. 

Meanwhile after stinking the place out with Morton and St Mirren, Shankland went on a tour of clubs on trial, he got rejected by Dunfermline that summer before ending up at Ayr who were the lowest placed full time side. 

I just don't subscribe to the train of thought that Thomas absolutely doesn't have the talent to play in the Premier, it's not happened for him yet and he's not fulfilled the potential that he seemed to have but his career isn't over. 

On 08/07/2020 at 17:11, Andy_K_97 said:

. Add to that the training gear gets slated for looking terrible and having awful presentation in the pictures.

I just had a quick look at the website and it all looks alright, have they updated it? Shame I love a good shambles. 

33 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I just don't subscribe to the train of thought that Thomas absolutely doesn't have the talent to play in the Premier, it's not happened for him yet and he's not fulfilled the potential that he seemed to have but his career isn't over. 

I don't think there's much doubt he has the talent to play at this level, it's all the other parts of his game which make me question it.

Dom Thomas is your classic player thats better than everyone in a game of 5's, but refuses to accept that in full 11-a-side professional football, you have to do other things as well. He's much more determined to change football to suit the way he wants to play, than he is to changing himself to the demands of a professional game.

If im capable of beating 6 players and pinging one into the the top corner, why cant I just keep trying that until I manage it, rather than running, tackling, tracking or passing?

I believe we had a "significant sell-on clause" though, so that should be the best part of 200 quid in the till. Cha-ching!

Edited by Al B

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

6 managers at 2 premiership clubs all gave him a chance to prove himself in the top flight, they all saw something that made them drop him or punt him out on loan.

I have wondered if his business interests outside of playing, which he makes a very good living from alone, affect his mindset to reach the very top......

27 minutes ago, Al B said:

Dom Thomas is your classic player thats better than everyone in a game of 5's, but refuses to accept that in full 11-a-side professional football, you have to do other things as well. He's much more determined to change football to suit the way he wants to play, than he is to changing himself to the demands of a professional game.

If im capable of beating 6 players and pinging one into the the top corner, why cant I just keep trying that until I manage it, rather than running, tackling, tracking or passing?

I believe we had a "significant sell-on clause" though, so that should be the best part of 200 quid in the till. Cha-ching!

^^^ Pretty much this.

He kind of threw shade at Robinson/Motherwell when he signed for Killie and IMO it probably said a lot about why he never got the chance he seemed to think he deserved.

"He told me to go and play like you are playing in the school with your pals," he said of Killie boss Lee McCulloch.

"And, for me, that's the way it should be played, but people take football too seriously."

"Everyone has a different opinion, but the way they [Motherwell] were playing wasn't really for me," said Thomas.

"The way they set out to play football here is perfect for me."

"The manager said he wants me to play with a smile on my face and that was music to my ears.

"The way I wanted to play football was the way he wants me to play and I am thankful for that."

Link

He spent years as a stand out for our 20s but bar rinsing Jim Goodwin that one time he made zero impression in the first team while his peers like Cadden, Campbell, Turnbull and Hastie - who bought into the idea of needing to "do the free stuff" - all became first team regulars.

"Sizable sell-on" for us though...

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

7 hours ago, Ocular Patdown Required said:

Hopefully we can get this over the line soon. Lot of Pompey fans seem pretty miffed about it 

That's Haunstrap training behind #25 Connell. no idea who the big chap is behind him thou.....

20200714_212204.jpg.9bb7b4e26c6d4c5f7b6736b7f581a1eb.jpg

Could this be the big lad perhaps ?....

Zeno Ibsen Rossi

Killie look set to sign 6ft 4 English/Italian 19 year old centre back from Bournemouth on loan....

Edited by C4mmy31
added info