The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Stolen from the Dundee thread:

Why are you a Killie fan?

My dad is a Celtic fan but from as young as I can remember he was very clear that he didn't want me supporting Celtic or Rangers due to all the shite that goes along with it (an admirable shout that a lot of people could do with following).  On reflection as an adult it could be that due to living in a Rangers stronghold (Kilwinning) and with Celtic being quite shit around the 92-94 period that he was worried I would end up supporting Rangers I suppose.  

My uncle was a Kilmarnock fan and was heavily involved with a supporters bus at the time.  He took me to my first game, that I remember, and the rest is history.  He also used to have a big collection of programmes and had videos with all the highlights of Killie games from 80s/90s and I spent a lot of time watching these as a child.  I was hooked.

First game?

Apparently I was at the 5-0 win over Raith Rovers in the Scottish Cup around 1992 but I don't remember that at all.  The first game I remember going to was a 0-0 with Hearts on a midweek night in November 1993.  

Where do you sit?

East Stand, very back row.  Previously sat in the Moffat as a child when I assume we made use of a family ticket but we moved to the East Stand  when we started to give the OF both ends, must've been around 2000.   

I've sat in the main stand a few times for hospitality or when I've been given freebies but I never feel right sitting over there.

Not sure if anyone else does this but if I'm ever out and about in Kilmarnock on my bike or heading down to the club shop I always look for an open gate and go and sit up in the stands for 10 mins or so. I took my daughter with me a year ago to do just that when she had started walking. Rugby Park is a second home.

Longest you've travelled to watch Kilmarnock?

Wales. 

Ever missed work/event to watch the Kilmarnock?

The New Years Day/2nd January game at the new St Mirren stadium when Mixu was in charge, ditched my work completely that day.  We won 2-0 that day and prior to Steve Clarke coming in it was the best Kilmarnock team I've seen.

Favourite ever player?

Probably Kris Boyd although I hated him in his time at Rangers, especially because he used to score against us every time.  His subsequent spell with the new club was easier to take as he robbed them blind financially for very little return.  Well played Boydy :)

Most enjoyable game?

2-1 over Sevco May 2019.  The LC and Scottish finals were great but purely because the win over Sevco got us third and was the right reward for Steve Clarke and the players.  Capped off by the speech.

Best goal seen live?

It came from a goalkeeping mistake but Mark Roberts goal against St Johnstone in 1998 or 1999 was my personal favourite. 

Favourite away stadium?

Somerset.  Love the atmosphere, love the excitement and the build up.  Always end up hating the result. 

Worst away Stadium?

Celtic Park - dreadful record, terrible view and you need to actually go to Glasgow.  Disgusting. 

Worst player?

It would be easy to name a player who only played a game or two but in terms of guys with a reasonable number of games I would need to say Ross Barbour.

Edited by Sortmeout

• 1 month later...

There's somebody who uploads old clips of Caley and ICT onto Youtube and he's just put the cup tie from 2001 between us and Killie on.  Worth watching for one of the worst line calls I've seen.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There's somebody who uploads old clips of Caley and ICT onto Youtube and he's just put the cup tie from 2001 between us and Killie on.  Worth watching for one of the worst line calls I've seen.

That was always a fairly commonly discussed incident on our forum back in the day - it was a properly eventful cup tie. We had that shocker, the disallowed goal, the two stoppage time goals, the replay being abandoned inside the first half and then us finally coming from behind to win it.

I knew straight away that was John Barnes on commentary too - didn't know he did stuff for Sky, but it was obviously him because of the weird way he pronounces "McLaren". He did the same thing for the Australian striker who played for Hibs recently.

Just now, craigkillie said:

That was always a fairly commonly discussed incident on our forum back in the day - it was a properly eventful cup tie. We had that shocker, the disallowed goal, the two stoppage time goals, the replay being abandoned inside the first half and then us finally coming from behind to win it.

I knew straight away that was John Barnes on commentary too - didn't know he did stuff for Sky, but it was obviously him because of the weird way he pronounces "McLaren". He did the same thing for the Australian striker who played for Hibs recently.

I was behind the goal it was hit into and it was absolutely obvious that it was in, no-one even considered it wasn't.

Here's the goals from the completed replay

Be an odd question, but are you lads happy enough with Alex Dyer after Clarke?

It feels like we'll be going down a similar route if Callum Davidson replaces TW.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Be an odd question, but are you lads happy enough with Alex Dyer after Clarke?

It feels like we'll be going down a similar route if Callum Davidson replaces TW.

For what its worth I think the support are heavily divided on Dyer at the moment. The general consensus I would say is that we play better football under Dyer but we don't play winning football when compared to Alessio or Clarke.

Under the previous two there was plenty of games where we played some absolutely rubbish football but managed to sneak a goal or hold out for a draw. This was mainly down to the game management, especially under Alessio if we got a goal we would almost stop trying to play football and just keep the ball in the middle of the park for 40-50 minutes and shut the other team out completely.   Not nice to watch but it had us at one point sitting very comfortably in the top 6.

Whereas with Dyer we seem to score a fair bit and knock the ball around well but then let teams back into the game, this is especially true with the last two Aberdeen games where we should have road out a victory but collapsed towards the end of the games. There is also plenty of the usual speculation that he is the puppet of the players cause he is seen as too close to them to manage them.

Some in his defence point to the fact that our squad is lacking in depth, for example our left back Hamalainen had played about 5 games professionally before coming to us on loan but has been our only left back option all season. O'Donnell has played god knows how many games the past three seasons with Scotland games chucked in as well without much of a break. 

Personally I would want some else in, the fact he prefers Broadfoot over Del Fabro is something that puzzles me, seeing as the Del Fabro and Findley partnership was one of the key reasons why we had a great spell under Alessio. Not to mention that it lends credence to the idea he is playing second fiddle to the players.  He also said at the AGM that Stephen Hendrie had not impressed him at all yet in his post match after the Hamiltion game where Hendrie had played he said that Hendrie had been training well for months and that he was impressed with his skill. Not exactly the worst lie to tell but it doesn't lead me to then trust other things you say.  

• 2 weeks later...

Friend of mine has asked me to post on here to give a heads up that he's selling his collection. He's putting all his football tops on ebay, Killie and Liverpool ones just now, Scotland to follow. Seller name is killieboyz all XL in size, I think. Or if you wanna contact him directly just pm me...... 

On 04/05/2020 at 17:48, Ocular Patdown Required said:

:wub:

The defending there! Guys just standing around lost. Crazy, and funny.

32 minutes ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Send us back Dom Thomas please.

12 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Is he not going to Celtic ? I assume you mean O’Donnell.

No idea, I've not been keeping up with local gossip recently.  Couldn't see him playing for us tbf.

37 minutes ago, bennett said:

No idea, I've not been keeping up with local gossip recently.  Couldn't see him playing for us tbf.

Given how badly he takes criticism from fans, he’s not going to want to join a club whose fans would actively target him due to his forename, his surname, and his faith.

41 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Given how badly he takes criticism from fans, he’s not going to want to join a club whose fans would actively target him due to his forename, his surname, and his faith.

Never knew he was a christian,  as someone who recently refound his faith thats welcoming.

Your point scoring attempt though was pretty poor.