The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Of course McKenna isn't worth the higher end figures that are/were being touted about. However, if any club is willing to pay stupid money for him Aberdeen aren't going to say "some fans don't think he's worth this amount, so we'll accept a smaller bid".

Indeed, it's about building up the club's position to maximise the fee every way we can. You have to have a bit of a brass neck in these situations, which inevitably involves fees quoted that fans will scoff at. The Glasgow clubs use the media to do this all the time, look at the figures they banded about for Dembele and now Morelos, it's sending a public message to anyone interested. The same with Mckenna being on a long term deal.

22 minutes ago, Estragon said:

McKenna always looks in a bit of a panic for me, and gives away an awful lot very cheaply.  He's an absolute monster though, and I do think that Aberdeen can command a higher transfer fee than we can regardless of quality, because of a great financial backing.

Genuinely, I'd be surprised if we were to get in excess of a million for anyone in the squad right now.

We can definitely opt for the longer ball too often but I don't blame the defence for that as much as I blame the options they have in front of them. Considine is far mroe ponderous on the ball than McKenna but Scott is definitely too keen to play the quick direct ball out wide at times.

22 minutes ago, killie_lad said:

Findlay has been out with a head injury a few times this season, McKenna has played 30 Findlay 31, also broadfoot has been missing several times with injuries and suspensions (27 played) compared to your other CB considine (33 matches) and Scott Boyd was was our center back for a good period before he too got injured. Agree about us being more solid as a unit which is why I said it's a bit simplistic to just look at goals conceded but we've had more than our fair share of problems with injuries and suspensions which people seem to forget

Considine played the start of the season (and the games Lowe missed) at LB. Our pair to start the season was Devlin and McKenna and that quickly turned to shit with McKennas injury. We also had Hobban in for a few games until he was injured.

Both are great prospects for the national team going forward.

16 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Of course McKenna isn't worth the higher end figures that are/were being touted about. However, if any club is willing to pay stupid money for him Aberdeen aren't going to say "some fans don't think he's worth this amount, so we'll accept a smaller bid".

Well yes but putting out ridiculous figures potentially alienates clubs making a bid and therefor competition when bidding making it counter-intuitive. There is also the point of which when to sell him when his stock is highest. This season he has struggled for Scotland an has had a few injuries. I would argue his stock was higher last summer.  He does have a long term contract though which helps but its hard to tell with defenders in the Scottish top league, a good few promising ones in the past have developed Gary Kenneth Syndrome. 

Edited by gannonball

Just now, gannonball said:

There is also the point of which when to sell him when his stock is highest. This season he has struggled for Scotland an has had a few injuries. I would argue his stock was higher last summer.  

That's all a gamble though, isn't it. We may have sold last summer if we'd had any time to replace him but our back 4 was stretched enough already and the Villa bid came on deadline day.

We gambled that we'd get another season out of him and push up his fee further, it hasn't completely worked out but I think a lot are overplaying the apparent demise he's had this season.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

That's all a gamble though, isn't it. We may have sold last summer if we'd had any time to replace him but our back 4 was stretched enough already and the Villa bid came on deadline day.

That's fair enough, although I thought Milne would have seen the pound signs for the new stadium and kicked him out the door. We had the same issue last year too with Boyata. And now Simunovic has been linked with a move today, I don't particularly rate him but there is no danger he is leaving with the Champions league qualifiers.

13 hours ago, ATLIS said:

He seems really hard stuck in wanting to make 4231 happen, he's a good guy but honestly I think he's lacklustre when it comes to tactics. We've been terrible at set pieces since January. We seem to start games so slow and the intensity in comparison to Hopkin's Livi is a huge drop off. We've played some of the most eye bleeding football at times since Christmas and honestly I think he's got away with a fair bit post Christmas with the run we're on.

Think your underestimating how good holt actually is.he keeps it simple and doesnt over complicate football which you see happening quite a lot these days.hes actually very similar to clarke.hes done unbelievably well keeping livi in the prem with what hes had to play with and tbh his cv isn't to shabby at all.coached at the very top as well as being an assistant.killie could do a lot worse imo

Cue the seethe, especially from the old firm......

Kilmarnock FC is delighted to announce a FieldTurf Core playing surface will be installed at Rugby Park in time for the 2019/20 season.

This high-quality synthetic turf is the most advanced on the market and is already used by Champions League semi-finalists FC Barcelona and Ajax at their training centres as well as at Everton’s Finch Farm complex.

We are the first club in Scotland to use this technology on their first team pitch with advantages including optimum ball roll, reduced pellet spray, increased surface stability and improved general aesthetics.

As well as the new turf system, Rugby Park stadium staff will benefit from FieldTurf’s Genius pitch monitoring system, which will maximise the longevity and safety of the surface.

Director Billy Bowie said: "The season may just have finished but work has already started on the new surface and we can't wait for it to be christened when the team returns to action in the Europa League in July."

Paul Fraser, Regional Business Director from Tarkett Sports, added: “We are delighted to be working with Kilmarnock FC to driver one of the most high-tech synthetic turf stadia in the world. We are providing the latest synthetic turf and infill technology to ensure the players have the most advanced playing surface available. 

“The FieldTurf Core system meets and exceeds the most stringent FIFA certifications and sets a new standard for elite synthetic turf in Scotland and beyond. In addition, the FieldTurf Genius pitch monitoring system will allow for expert cafe and maintenance of the playing surface over the lifetime of the field.”

In mid-June, supporters will be able to buy parts of the current pitch for £5 per square metre with all proceeds going to the Kilmarnock Community Sports Trust (KCST). The Killie Trust will be assisting the club with this process and further information including the start of sales will be released in due course.

4 hours ago, Bigbairn72 said:

Think your underestimating how good holt actually is.he keeps it simple and doesnt over complicate football which you see happening quite a lot these days.hes actually very similar to clarke.hes done unbelievably well keeping livi in the prem with what hes had to play with and tbh his cv isn't to shabby at all.coached at the very top as well as being an assistant.killie could do a lot worse imo

Honestly I think the majority of our success comes from Martindale, and keeping things the same as it was last season

Gary Holt
10/11
Gary Rowett
5/1
Alex Dyer
6/1
Ally McCoist
6/1
Paul Clement
6/1
Derek Adams
12/1
Alan Stubbs
14/1
Darren Moore
14/1
Neil Lennon
16/1
Owen Coyle
18/1
Ian Holloway
20/1
Kris Boyd
20/1
Lee McCulloch
20/1
Michael Appleton
20/1
Billy Davies
22/1
Danny Lennon
22/1
Darren Fletcher
22/1
Kevin Nolan
22/1
Mike Newell
22/1
David Moyes
25/1
David Unsworth
25/1
Malky Mackay
25/1
Mark McGhee
25/1
Roberto Di Matteo
25/1
Scot Gemmill
25/1
Stuart McCall
25/1
Tom Black
25/1

47 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Honestly I think the majority of our success comes from Martindale, and keeping things the same as it was last season

Gary holt wouldn't be sticking around if he wasnt making the decisions.trust me.hes no a man that would put up with that.honestly didn't give yous any hope either.yous have been a breath a fresh air 

28 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Ally McCoist 2/1
Jim McIntyre 5/2
Paul Hartley 3/1
John Robertson 4/1
Billy Davies 5/1
Alan Stubbs 6/1
Mixu 8/1
Lee Clark 8/1

:lol:

Jesus, are you still cutting about?  Top #baNtZ m77...

1 minute ago, Bigbairn72 said:

Gary holt wouldn't be sticking around if he wasnt making the decisions.trust me.hes no a man that would put up with that.honestly didn't give yous any hope either.yous have been a breath a fresh air 

That was one of the main reasons Kenny Miller left, he wanted some of his own backroom staff in and we told him no (Kevin Thomson btw). Basically any manager was told they'd be working with the same team in the same way. Holt has experimented with his preferred 4231 over our 352 and it genuinely doesn't work. He's a lovely guy but sometimes comes across as too nice. 

All in all, it wouldn't be the end of the world if he was away for Killie. He'd be happy and I couldn't begrudge him for that at all. Doesn't change my mind that I'd rather we had Goodwin in charge

19 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

That was one of the main reasons Kenny Miller left, he wanted some of his own backroom staff in and we told him no (Kevin Thomson btw). Basically any manager was told they'd be working with the same team in the same way. Holt has experimented with his preferred 4231 over our 352 and it genuinely doesn't work. He's a lovely guy but sometimes comes across as too nice. 

All in all, it wouldn't be the end of the world if he was away for Killie. He'd be happy and I couldn't begrudge him for that at all. Doesn't change my mind that I'd rather we had Goodwin in charge

See where your coming from although I'm not buying into all this hype over Goodwin.hes done a cracking job this season but the championship was shocking this year.trust me I know.i understand that he had a part time team but they weren't bad players and it's harder for pro clubs,the likes of us,to lure part time players towards pro contracts for the simple fact that,and I know its sounds daft,there making more money with a 9-5 job training twice a week than signing a pro contract for peanuts.i seen the dark side of holt when he was with us.actually feared for phill Robert's life at one point when holt chased him down the tunnel at half time and from what we heard,was a good job the lad brought a spare pair of breeks.The man was great for us with a team of kids and simply because of his killie background a lot of fans never wanted to like him but look where we are now compared to where he left us.thats no coincidence 

2 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Alex Dyer set to be named SC's number 2 on a part time basis...... well chuffed for LAD, a top bloke who deserves the recognition.

Pleased to see this as they seem to work well as a team

1 hour ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:
Gary Holt
10/11
Gary Rowett
5/1
Alex Dyer
6/1
Ally McCoist
6/1
Paul Clement
6/1
Derek Adams
12/1
Alan Stubbs
14/1
Darren Moore
14/1
Neil Lennon
16/1
Owen Coyle
18/1
Ian Holloway
20/1
Kris Boyd
20/1
Lee McCulloch
20/1
Michael Appleton
20/1
Billy Davies
22/1
Danny Lennon
22/1
Darren Fletcher
22/1
Kevin Nolan
22/1
Mike Newell
22/1
David Moyes
25/1
David Unsworth
25/1
Malky Mackay
25/1
Mark McGhee
25/1
Roberto Di Matteo
25/1
Scot Gemmill
25/1
Stuart McCall
25/1
Tom Black
25/1

Sally and Big Boydy the dream team for Killie.

Reckon only McGhee's appointment could top that :lol: