The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Kilmarnock Football Club has mutually agreed to terminate the contract of Jack Byrne with immediate effect due to personal and family reasons and his desire to return to Ireland. 

Everyone at the club would like to warmly thank Jack for his contribution to the club and wish him and his family all the very best for the future.

Jack Byrne said: "This was not an easy decision to make but I feel that I need to be closer to my family at this time. I’m extremely grateful to all at Kilmarnock Football Club for their help and support during my time at Rugby Park.

"I’d like to say a special thanks to the management team as well as my team-mates who made me feel welcome and part of the group from day one. 

"I’d like to wish them and the Kilmarnock supporters all the very best for the remainder of the season and beyond."

5 hours ago, Coooombe said:

Good luck to him, I'm glad it turns out he's left on good terms rather than spitting the dummy. 

His interview after he signed for Shamrock Rovers this afternoon has a hint of a suggestion he did. He wasn't to happy at not getting a game at RP.

Edited by C4mmy31

On 15/07/2018 at 12:12, NorthBank said:

Of the squad that skooshed the Championship 16 have left and 4 more told to go as they will not get a game. We have only recruited 7 new players so far so were down to the bare bones on Friday night.

Only 4 of the Championship winning team played on Friday. We had 4 fringe players from last season playing,  2 guys from English U23 teams and a new signing from a team that got relegated to the Championship. A make-shift team that were better than your established squad. Our team that starts the season will be pretty different from Friday night's. I was pretty surprised how poor Killie were as I thought they would maul us but saw nothing to worry us for the season ahead.  Killie's bubble has burst methinks.

KiLLie's bUbbLe hAs BurSt meThiNkS

Joe Cole: I'm not surprised by Steve Clarke's Kilmarnock success

STEVE Clarke’s extraordinary success since taking over at struggling Kilmarnock at the end of last year has taken the whole Scottish football aback and earned him awards and plaudits aplenty.

But leading the Rugby Park club away from the Ladbrokes Premiership relegation zone and into the top six last season and then taking them above Celtic and Rangers into first place in the top flight table this term pales in comparison with his achievements earlier in his career according to one of his distinguished former players.

Joe Cole, the 56-times capped England midfielder who worked under Clarke at Chelsea for five years, believes the Scot must accept much of the responsibility for getting the London club to the Champions League final back in in the 2007/08 campaign.

Clarke stayed on at Stamford Bridge after Jose Mourinho was sacked after a disappointing draw with Rosenborg early on that season and helped his replacement Avram Grant to quickly settle into the high-pressure position and enjoy considerable success.

Chelsea made it through to the final of Europe’s premier club competition thanks to victories over Olympiakos, Fenerbahce and Liverpool in the knockout rounds and they only lost a dramatic match against their English rivals in Moscow 6-5 on penalties.

Cole - who helped his side hold United to a 1-1 draw in regulation time before being replaced by Nicolas Anelka, who failed to convert the decisive penalty, in extra-time – doubts his side would have fared so well that term without the input of their assistant.

“It’s no surprise to me how well Clarkey has done at Kilmarnock,” he said. “I thought he did a good job as manager at West Brom. He was unlucky there. Sometimes success needs to be put into context.

“He learnt from working under Jose. Jose did most of the coaching at Chelsea when he was there and Steve would step in maybe 20 per cent of the time. But as the years went he took on more responsibility and when Jose moved on he was very important indeed.

“The year we got to the Champions League final, Steve was a massive influence. I hope he won’t mind me saying that, but he was.

“Avram (Grant) came in and took over a did a good job. That season we nearly won it all; we finished two points off top spot in the league, lost the League Cup final and we lost the Champions League final on penalties.

“Steve had a huge amount to do with that because it was such a tumultuous time for the club. Jose leaving left a big hole because he was such a massive personality. But Steve stepped up and ensured we stayed focused. I knew then that he would be a great manager one day.”

Cole, who won every honour in the English game during the seven seasons that he spent at Chelsea, was on the receiving end of some dressing downs by Clarke, but, looking back, appreciates they were for the benefit of the team.

The 37-year-old, who intends to follow his contemporaries Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and John Terry into coaching and possibly management in future, has not been shocked at all to see his old assistant manager galvanise a struggling group of players at Kilmarnock and turn them into one of the best sides in the country in the last 14 months.

“I can remember at Chelsea we were drawing a game at Manchester City,” he said. “Avram was very calm, but Steve felt we needed a rollicking. He stepped up and really gave it to us. We went on to win the game. He read the situation brilliantly. He has great footballing instincts. He knew what players needed. That stuck with me as a player. He was very, very good.

“He is a straight man. He will tell you how it is. He doesn’t waste his words. He is a tough guy, but he is a fair man and that is all you want as a player from a football manager. He is just a good football guy. He is very knowledgeable. I am really pleased he is doing so well.”

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/17304251.joe-cole-im-not-surprised-by-steve-clarkes-kilmarnock-success/

If theres one thing that irks me about the Scottish psyche it's the constant need to be patted on the head by our Southern neighbours. 

As if anyone cares about what Joe Cole has to say about a club he'd never heard of a year ago. Get that deleted.

26 minutes ago, Estragon said:

If theres one thing that irks me about the Scottish psyche it's the constant need to be patted on the head by our Southern neighbours. 

As if anyone cares about what Joe Cole has to say about a club he'd never heard of a year ago. Get that deleted.

Have to disagree with this statement . If we want more investment into our league whether it’s via companies investing in advertising or television or indeed people wanting to invest in the clubs themselves then all positive reports on our product are to be encouraged .

Whether we like it or not Joe Coles opinion will carry more weight down south , where the vast majority of investment originates , than any current player who’s worn a Scotland jersey .

17 minutes ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Have to disagree with this statement . If we want more investment into our league whether it’s via companies investing in advertising or television or indeed people wanting to invest in the clubs themselves then all positive reports on our product are to be encouraged .

Whether we like it or not Joe Coles opinion will carry more weight down south , where the vast majority of investment originates , than any current player who’s worn a Scotland jersey .

Do you really think that's what this is?  Or do you think it's a vain attempt to use our club as a tenuous opportunity to trumpet the historic achievements of a retired English footballer?  There's nothing in this article that talks about how good the league is this year, there's nothing in it that talks about how good the football at RP is, or at Parkhead is, or at Ibrox, or Pittodrie, or in Edinburgh earlier in the season... 

In fact, the only mention of the Scottish game in this article is where he says of Clarke's time at WBA that "sometimes success has to be put into context", if anything that talks DOWN our game, not up.

And in any case, I'm not sure The National enjoys a great circulation down south, where the vast majority of investment originates.

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

Do you really think that's what this is?  Or do you think it's a vain attempt to use our club as a tenuous opportunity to trumpet the historic achievements of a retired English footballer?  There's nothing in this article that talks about how good the league is this year, there's nothing in it that talks about how good the football at RP is, or at Parkhead is, or at Ibrox, or Pittodrie, or in Edinburgh earlier in the season... 

In fact, the only mention of the Scottish game in this article is where he says of Clarke's time at WBA that "sometimes success has to be put into context", if anything that talks DOWN our game, not up.

And in any case, I'm not sure The National enjoys a great circulation down south, where the vast majority of investment originates.

OR, The National got invited to some press event with Joe Cole, had to find a Scottish angle, and asked him about Steve Clarke?

Edit: Yup, Star Sixes at the Hydro. English footballer promoting event in Scotland, Scottish newspaper finds Scottish football angle.

Edited by killiefan27

Fucking hell mate it’s Christmas time and we’re only off top spot on goal difference. Enjoy yourself.

6 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Fucking hell mate it’s Christmas time and we’re only off top spot on goal difference. Enjoy yourself.

:lol:

No! I'm absolutely RAGIN' about this totally innocuous article! Don't tell me how to live dammit! 

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Greg Stewart will remain at Kilmarnock for rest of season-long loan.

It wouldn't surprise me if we make a move to get him permanently.....

He was interviewed for the Killie Standard this week saying he isn't worried about his future and is enjoying his football again for the first in a long time.

He seems to be loving it here in Ayrshire judging by his other comments about his teammates & the coaching staff......

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Greg Stewart will remain at Kilmarnock for rest of season-long loan.

Tbf, if Birmingham decide to sell him, there's nothing Kilmarnock can do about it.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf, if Birmingham decide to sell him, there's nothing Kilmarnock can do about it.

True.... but SC said this morning there was no indication of anything happening in regard to his situation at Birmingham, you'd like to think they would notify us if their intention was to sell or recall him.