Stranraer vs Airdrie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't a foul. The way Fraser threw himself down and didn't show any intent to correct his error and win the ball back epitomised his whole performance. For the first time I've found myself questioning his work rate and motivation, no doubt he is a class act on the pitch going forward, but his lack of grit and determination to regain possession worries me.

I thought we were reasonably comfortable and were undone by a fantastic goal. Lindsay and Gasparotto look fantastic and composed which is what we've lacked for seasons.

As mentioned Lister is a huge miss. I feel he is the missing link, and really we just lacked a final ball.

Credit to the midfield who battled well without one of the main protagonists, Prunty worked his socks off as usual, but I thought Morton was wasteful with his distribution.

I was impressed with Stranraer's ability to move the ball about with a good zip about it, Stevie Aitken has them playing a fantastic brand of football. It would be fantastic to see him go full time soon.

Agree it was never a foul, he lost the ball and tried his luck with a dive to win the foul, that's worth a try further up the park but 40 yards out in your own half is too risky. However I don't think it's fair to question his effort. I've been just as impressed by his willingness to do the ugly side of the game as I have his footballing ability. It's not something you'd normally expect from a young, skillful loanee but he's fitted into the team ethic really well. He's still a bit 'soft' in terms of getting pushed off the ball, but then he's a 19 year old playing amongst hardened, seasoned pros on heavy, bobbly pitches like today, he'll improve on that as he matures and gets more experience.

Airdrie got a ludicrous share of decisions from a god awful ref, never in a month of Sundays was it a foul in the run up to the goal, however going by the refs performance I'm surprised it wasn't given. Better team won, controlled the game from start to finish but particularly in the second half. Onto next week.

He's still a bit 'soft' in terms of getting pushed off the ball, but then he's a 19 year old playing amongst hardened, seasoned pros on heavy, bobbly pitches like today, he'll improve on that as he matures and gets more experience.

I agree with you to an extent, but with the system Bollan is trying to play it has to be 100% all the time and, for all I've only seen eight or nine games this season due to work commitments, it seems to be the same story. I must say though on a few occasions (Stranraer, Brechin) he has been marked out of the game because opposition midfielders & defenders are doubling up on him, and I think that's how Lister gets the space when he plays.

I'd like to see Kyle Richford given a proper chance now. Four points from fourth place, which means the remaining six are cup finals, but give him a shot at it, let him become an Airdrie hero.

I wasn't at all surprised to come away with nothing from that yesterday. Our record at Stranraer in recent years is dire & each time we've faced off this season, we just haven't been able to get the better of them.

I honestly thought there was very little between the two sides and for all of our deficiencies going forward, we created just as many chances as Stranraer. Overall, I think a draw would have been a fair result, but can't complain too much at losing. Especially to a goal like that.

We'd said at half time it was going to either take a mistake or something special to separate the teams and it turned out to be the latter. It was an absolute screamer from Gibson.

I still think we're very much in the playoff hunt, especially if the scoreline on Tuesday is anything other than a Brechin win. Our margin for error is just less now, but with the bottom 3 and Dunfermline at home still to come in our last 6 fixtures, I still fancy us.

It's worth noting how much we missed Paddy Boyle & Bryan Gilfillan yesterday though. As well as Blockley played when he came in last week, he just doesn't have the same presence as Gilfillan in there. Really wish the club would clarify the Lister situation too though as he has been a huge miss for us these past couple of weeks.

We just have to knuckle down, continue working as hard as we have and get back to winning ways next Saturday. It would be a shame to see us blow it now after all our hard work.

It's worth noting how much we missed Paddy Boyle & Bryan Gilfillan yesterday though. As well as Blockley played when he came in last week, he just doesn't have the same presence as Gilfillan in there. Really wish the club would clarify the Lister situation too though as he has been a huge miss for us these past couple of weeks.

I heard a rather bizarre story yesterday that Lister had an "off" fish supper and he spewed that hard that he got a hernia!

If it's true, which doesn't sound at all likely, the club should be telling us which chippy it was.

I heard a rather bizarre story yesterday that Lister had an "off" fish supper and he spewed that hard that he got a hernia!

If it's true, which doesn't sound at all likely, the club should be telling us which chippy it was.

Haha, we demand chippy transparency!

In all seriousness though, why not just tell us what the situation is? If he really is injured, what do the club gain by saying nothing? The more silence there is over the matter, the more suspicious the whole thing seems. Just hoping there hasn't been any sort of a fall out.

Interesting to note too that he was apparently at the Stenny v Dunfermline game, but then I guess he could just be scouting for next week?

Thought that was Proctors job now. At this rate we could end up with more scouts than first team players.

Yeah that's what I thought too, but then I'd wonder why else he would be there when we had a game he could've been at.

Also noticed he and Proctor were Tweeting one another yesterday morning, perhaps as a senior player who may be interested in that side of the game, he tagged along?

I was told last week that he was going for the hernia op on the Monday before the Ayr game with the hope he would be back for the last few games of the run in, and he came down with a virus which has indefinitely delayed this operation.

ETA:

Genuine point not meant to offend. There was a small but really nasty element to airdrie support yesterday. Not noticed it before but to be fair not seen you often. Is that normal?

I'd rather have a small but nasty element to our support who create the atmosphere at a game than a four hundred folk who turn up and keep schtum for the ninety minutes.

Eh??? I'm afraid they didn't make any noise. They just threatened people, looked menacing, staggered about and one guy sang, in a hoarse voice you could hardly hear, a song about Ayr. I'd rather have our nice people that create no atmosphere as opposed to a dozen repulsive gargoyles that create no atmosphere.

one guy sang, in a hoarse voice you could hardly hear, a song about Ayr.

I hope you reported this. There's no place for this sort of neanderthal behaviour in modern football, and I for one would like to distance myself from this element of our support.

Eh??? I'm afraid they didn't make any noise. They just threatened people, looked menacing, staggered about and one guy sang, in a hoarse voice you could hardly hear, a song about Ayr. I'd rather have our nice people that create no atmosphere as opposed to a dozen repulsive gargoyles that create no atmosphere.

This brings up an interesting point in general, I've now been to Stenhousemuir, Brechin, Ayr and Stranraer away games since I've been home and it's always the sane seven or eight guys who are singing and, without a shadow of a doubt, create the atmosphere at the game due to a lacklustre home support. As long as that's all they do I'll defend them to the hilt - but what can be done to improve the atmospheres at home grounds. Introduce safe standing? Singing sections?

This brings up an interesting point in general, I've now been to Stenhousemuir, Brechin, Ayr and Stranraer away games since I've been home and it's always the sane seven or eight guys who are singing and, without a shadow of a doubt, create the atmosphere at the game due to a lacklustre home support. As long as that's all they do I'll defend them to the hilt - but what can be done to improve the atmospheres at home grounds. Introduce safe standing? Singing sections?

I think you're defending something that is indefensible. Nastiness contributes nothing.

I think you're defending something that is indefensible. Nastiness contributes nothing.

I think you're getting overly precious about a couple of pissed up young guys.

I was there and I don't think there was anything out of the ordinary that went on.

I think you're getting overly precious about a couple of pissed up young guys.

I was there and I don't think there was anything out of the ordinary that went on.

This is not about being precious.

Who on earth, in their right mind, wants threatening behaviour, and menace.

Archived