BT Broadband

What are peoples general experience of this mob? I'm going to switch from Virgin but for some reason (despite living in the centre of Glasgow) I'm apparently unable to get BT Infinity, so I'm limited to max speeds of 17MB. I'm currently on 30MB with Virgin which is consistently excellent but the deal with BT seems to be a fair bit better (and I've already prematurely shot my load by cancelling Virgin!).

I told the gf that there's likely to be little discernible difference, 17MB should still be sufficient for streaming Netflix and browsing etc.

As a side rant, why are Virgin able to pump 100MB down fibre optic lines into my flat and BT can't give me more than 17MB?

What are peoples general experience of this mob? I'm going to switch from Virgin but for some reason (despite living in the centre of Glasgow) I'm apparently unable to get BT Infinity, so I'm limited to max speeds of 17MB. I'm currently on 30MB with Virgin which is consistently excellent but the deal with BT seems to be a fair bit better (and I've already prematurely shot my load by cancelling Virgin!).

I told the gf that there's likely to be little discernible difference, 17MB should still be sufficient for streaming Netflix and browsing etc.

As a side rant, why are Virgin able to pump 100MB down fibre optic lines into my flat and BT can't give me more than 17MB?

Because Virgin pay to lay fibre cables into your flat and BT dont, but you then end up paying more for it.

Unless theres some reason why you'll never get BT Infinity its likely to be available to you pretty soon. You can check here. Pretty sure you can upgrade to Infinity at any time if you already have BT broadband

I had signed up with BT and cancelled Virgin but it was only on asking the same question three times on whether I'd be able to get BT Sport that BT admitted that the signal might not be strong enough in my area. They said that they'd check once they'd installed it!! Chancers.

Thankfully they allowed me to cancel, and I crawled back to Virgin with my tail between my legs.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably a little late, but in terms of Infinity vs Broadband the consistency of service from BT is night and day...although it may be geographical.

We've had Fibre in Troon for over a year now and it's been excellent, very consistent service with no problems whatsoever.

However over in Tayport, I'm limited to between 2.5-3mb broadband at the best of times.

Between half 7 and 9 most week nights there seems to be a massive dropoff in speed, where the download speed crashes to rock bottom. I've tried to speak to BT and I'm hit with a brick wall of pish from their call centre.

Their customer service is absolutely brutal and they'll say anything to get you off the phone rather than deal with the problem. Thankfully my phone is on 3's all you can eat package and gets 4G signal straight over the water from the ferry, so I normally just swap onto the Wifi hotspot for a couple of hours until normal service resumes.

Archived