Clyde moving to Shettleston?

It was levied that Cumbernauld Colts have the financial wherewithal to buy Broadwood outright. They're a huge organisation that take over the stadium on a regular basis.

I've always thought the SFA could do something with Broadwood, develop it as a training ground, a bit like St George's Park for the English, and could hold youth internationals etc there.

Used to hold Scotland u21's regularly but I doubt that'll happen again due to the new pitch.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think all of us were given a scenario to work on. I knew enough about the numbers to recognise the warnings the Board gave out and went with their recommendation on that basis. Name change aside I stick to the view that EK might be a better COMMERCIAL option than the east end of Glasgow. However I have no details at all now, and like everyone else I have no crystal ball, so its go with your gut following whatever information is released.

Edited to say go with your gut if you are a CIC member (which I won't be), so won't have a say this time. I am assuming that the move will be put to the membership.

heres an idea lets put a proposal to the membership about the move to shettleston tell them its definitely going to happen, tell the club will die of we dont move then spend two years pedalling this nonsense then devise a plan B

90 % of the memebers were happy to go along with that so maybe thats the way forward

I think all of us were given a scenario to work on. I knew enough about the numbers to recognise the warnings the Board gave out and went with their recommendation on that basis. Name change aside I stick to the view that EK might be a better COMMERCIAL option than the east end of Glasgow. However I have no details at all now, and like everyone else I have no crystal ball, so its go with your gut following whatever information is released.

Edited to say go with your gut if you are a CIC member (which I won't be), so won't have a say this time. I am assuming that the move will be put to the membership.

Ek a better commercial option? ,is the stadium built ? might have missed that as I dont get the EK HERALD :1eye

what scenario all the members were told it was going to be a "peppercorn rent" absolulety nothing about any other revenues

what scenario all the members were told it was going to be a "peppercorn rent" absolulety nothing about any other revenues

As I am sure you understood I was referring to the current financial situation i.e. dire , not what may happen in the future. Knowing what I did about the size of the losses when we were averaging 1200-1500 in Div1 it didn't surprise me that 500 in Div 3 might mean a repeat of previous serious issues with no appetite left from fans for another rescue.

Anyway - you should be questioning those who put the message out, not those who believed it for good reason.

As I am sure you understood I was referring to the current financial situation i.e. dire , not what may happen in the future. Knowing what I did about the size of the losses when we were averaging 1200-1500 in Div1 it didn't surprise me that 500 in Div 3 might mean a repeat of previous serious issues with no appetite left from fans for another rescue.

Anyway - you should be questioning those who put the message out, not those who believed it for good reason.

Both valid points, and of course until we hear anything concrete from either party, it will remain purely rumour and counter-rumour which will grow arms and legs. However, the club line has changed dramatically since that vote....on when deciding to vote in favour of you-know-what, the club as we knew it was basically going to be a sporting wing of EKCT. With initials thrown in to avoid confusion. No talk of the club 'making money', or holding anything other than the goalposts as its own property, exactly like we have now. Only it would definitely, unconditionally and absolutely never ever be something the club was in control of. Conversations ive held with senior club officials lead me to believe that alternatives have arisen, whereby the club might just be able to stand in its own two feet through the same revenue streams available to all of our immediate competitors. Pipe dream or not, having seen the farcical dugs dinner that EK became, even i'm willing to admit that maybe lessons and some savvy have been learned here, only Clyde could push through you-know-what in 2013, then vote against being in charge of themselves (if this comes to fruition) two years later because they don't trust the word of a board they have done f**k all to change despite it being in their power.

I would rather the club take their time with this and dont end up rushing something due to this information being leaked before any announcement that's if anything is happening.

The only thing about the finances is that we don't have the £55k debt repayments then we would also have the money we wouldn't be paying to NLL for rent.

think you will find I questioned them from first meeting it was muted but like the rest of the fans who opposed it was shouted down and treated like some sort of football reactionary was being continually told to trust the board

but now in the new enlightened age of the Clyde CIC we need a forensic examination of every decision regarding a new ground

where a brochure and a load of spin from the chairman was more than enough for people to sell the club's name

Re the current rent and historical debt; Purely on those subjective terms, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the same amount was being spent on this, given that every bean through the door, every name on a hoarding, every pie and hotdog sold, and i would presume a healthy profit from the social club, were offset against money which the club previously simply had no access to spending on itself. But no loan is going to be at 100grand a year for Christs sake. That said, we'd have our own bills to pay which currently we don't; we dont get gas water or leccy bills through the door, there would be a lot more club employees required (catering, security, social club) than we currently have needing paid, not to mention maintenance on the three-quarters of the ground we'd have to build. But......it would still be all Clyde's.

See above. No offence, but other than two newbuild stands at your gaffe, its no Madison Square Garden either. Nothing personal to Dundee, a lot of Scottish grounds are fucking ugly, due to odd-looking stands and unkempt areas between them. Ideally, a small, compact, symmetrical 2-3,000 capacity ground will magically appear upon what you see now, and hopefully get to visit one day.....:P

If we do build a stadium with a 2-3000 capacity my question would be......Are we giving up any hope of ever playing in the Premier League?

I know that it may never happen but surely eventually that's where we should be aiming for?

Or are Clyde happy to kick about the lower leagues?

If we do build a stadium with a 2-3000 capacity my question would be......Are we giving up any hope of ever playing in the Premier League?

I know that it may never happen but surely eventually that's where we should be aiming for?

Or are Clyde happy to kick about the lower leagues?

There's plenty on her who champion bloody Annan as the model for how things should be. Bullshit. Ross County and Victoria Park are much better examples to follow. They had a capacity not much bigger than that when they entered the league, and the ground always seemed busy and interesting whenever we were there. Some of us even got an audience with Nicky Walker!!! Small steps.....

Re the current rent and historical debt; Purely on those subjective terms, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the same amount was being spent on this, given that every bean through the door, every name on a hoarding, every pie and hotdog sold, and i would presume a healthy profit from the social club, were offset against money which the club previously simply had no access to spending on itself. But no loan is going to be at 100grand a year for Christs sake. That said, we'd have our own bills to pay which currently we don't; we dont get gas water or leccy bills through the door, there would be a lot more club employees required (catering, security, social club) than we currently have needing paid, not to mention maintenance on the three-quarters of the ground we'd have to build. But......it would still be all Clyde's.

Ok - so how much are we borrowing? How much needs to be spent on this tip (with all due respect) to make it acceptable? What is the annual payment and how many years do we need to pay it?

I admire your optimism but unless someone answers the above it remains the main issue for anyone who wants this club to prosper and isn't only concerned with whether the local boozer does a good pint of lager

Ok - so how much are we borrowing? How much needs to be spent on this tip (with all due respect) to make it acceptable? What is the annual payment and how many years do we need to pay it?

I admire your optimism but unless someone answers the above it remains the main issue for anyone who wants this club to prosper and isn't only concerned with whether the local boozer does a good pint of lager

If u are looking at £200k for example over 20 yrs then repayments would be £1250-£1500 pm.....obv depending on other factors but thats a bench mark.

It was levied that Cumbernauld Colts have the financial wherewithal to buy Broadwood outright. They're a huge organisation that take over the stadium on a regular basis.

Absolutely no chance my friend, they've nowhere near the finances it would take to buy it. NLL would practically have to donate it to them.

They're paying approx £90k rent a year which they can afford, but there's already been murmerings that its preventing them develop into what they want to be. So if that's the case, they don't have the money to buy the stadium

From the looks of it NLL barely have the finances for its upkeep. So while Clyde take their share of responsibility for what happened, Cumbernauld will now have lost its only ever senior team & highly unlikely to be replaced, a publicly owned facility will be losing at least £40k a year, they already lost their biggest private sector employer nearly 20 years ago, so I would hope for their local taxpayers' POV they have plans for the stadium

I'm certain if the right kind of people had sat down now the debt's cleared, the situation couldve been resolved & still a future given new generations of potential support are born all the time. But it's gone now due to short-termism

Wherever we end up the hope is the club learns from its own history. None of us who support the club inherited an ideal situation. So what they decide now, if its genuinely designed to be permanent, should not only take into account the immediate future, but what will be left for those not even born yet

If it was Shettleston it might be ok, but let alone where's the money for x, y & z right now, how much land is there that will likely be able to be developed way into the future. Railway looks a permanent border. So all I'm suggesting to the club is take your time, take all of this into account & if Shettleston would provide that kind of potential long term then that's fine

Archived