Clyde moving to Shettleston?

Not sure if this had been discussed we elsewhere on the forum.

Was talking to a friend today and he mentioned Clyde have been in talks with Shettleston juniors about a possible groundshare.

Would moving back to Glasgow, especially in the east end be a good move for Clyde? I can't see how they would pick up a new fanbase being so close to Parkhead

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't possibly be at Shettleston's current ground. Once one of Glasgow's better Junior grounds it's largely been demolished bit by bit in recent years. Scarcely any terracing left although there are some seats behind one of the goals.

Can't think where a new build could be found in the area either.

Maybe Glencairn rather than Shettleston?

It'd be a decent location I think. Close to original home, but less than an hour on the train from either Croy or Cumbernauld (just looked it up). The ground would presumably need quite a lot of work and I'm not sure where the money would come from.

Not sure if this had been discussed we elsewhere on the forum.

Was talking to a friend today and he mentioned Clyde have been in talks with Shettleston juniors about a possible groundshare.

Would moving back to Glasgow, especially in the east end be a good move for Clyde? I can't see how they would pick up a new fanbase being so close to Parkhead

How did acquiring a fanbase in Brigton, Dalmarnock, the Baltic and Parkhead itself work out for celtic??? What a naive statement. That problem would exist anywhere in the country, but can hardly be held as a reason in itself for Clyde deciding where to relocate. The point about queens park not being able to share with Pollok or other Junior sides might be a stumbling block, but let's wait and see.

How did acquiring a fanbase in Brigton, Dalmarnock, the Baltic and Parkhead itself work out for celtic??? What a naive statement. That problem would exist anywhere in the country, but can hardly be held as a reason in itself for Clyde deciding where to relocate. The point about queens park not being able to share with Pollok or other Junior sides might be a stumbling block, but let's wait and see.

Hardly naive, I think any senior clubs moving to Glasgow would struggle to attract a fanbase.

I know Clyde are originally from Glasgow, but that was a longtime ago

Hardly naive, I think any senior clubs moving to Glasgow would struggle to attract a fanbase.

Attracting fan bases really isn't a Glasgow problem.

The team are shite and in the 4th tier. No one wants to watch us because we are dire, simple.

What's in it for Shettleston? They are going well, improving the ground. On the up generally. Why would they want a cuckoo in the nest to act as a competitor for scarce support?

Football isn't like a clothes shop, or the pictures....you don't suddenly decide to start watching another team at the expense of your own, or allow your head to be turned by 'competition', unless you are a cock. Im sure Shettleston fans will have their opinions, and will probahly be voicing them and having them listened to more than we do. In event of both clubs going on to success from the same venue, i'd hardly see the conflict for locals who'd supported Shettleston in its heydays suddenly finding the Clyde v Morton or Airdrie matches any more attractive than when it was played at Shawfield, twenty minutes down the road.

Attracting a fanbase is 100% down to being successful, and any notion Clyde or anyone else has about acquiring one anywhere in our domain area, wherever it is, without that ingredient is fantasy. In any case, a shift to the East End might re-engage lapsed fans, more so than attract new(er) ones, although that can't be just written off completely. The biggest reason the club are seeking a move is to retain as much of the paltry income we have, in order to compete in league fucking two, rather than spunking it on an incompetent and thick-as-f**k council for a stunningly attractive, but oversized, ill-maintained, but ultimately out-of-purpose-for-Clyde ground. No one would just close queens park or that bunch of human shite from Maryhill, because attracting numbers was difficult when they were down, but the one thing about a move is that it could only benefit Clyde so much more than we have now.

Archived