Steve Paterson

Blue-Toon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uncomfortable read but a "must read". You cannot take away what he has achieved as a manager. Supercaleygoballisticcelticareattrocious. Viduka, Wright, Moravcik top top players and they were gubbed. Great lad with demons. I wish him well.

If it wasn't for Steve Paterson I don't think Caley would exist, we'd have gone bankrupt. He took over at a very fractious time post-merger and built at least two, possibly three, great teams (3rd division team, 2nd division/SuperCaleyGoBallistic team and the team we had when he left) and played fantastic football. Every season he was our manager we finished top goalscorers in our league, just about. So many legends of our club were down to him - Jim Calder, Richard Hastings, Ross Tokely, Grant Munro, Bobby Mann, Russell Duncan, Roy McBain, Paul Cherry, Miek Teasdale, Barry Robson, Barry Wilson, Ian Stewart, Paul Ritchie, Dennis Wyness, Brian Thomson.

During his final months with us (when his life was falling to pieces through gambling and alcoholism) we played the best football I think I've ever seen from us. You'd turn up every week knowing that we'd probably score five goals.

I fucking love the man.

If it wasn't for Steve Paterson I don't think Caley would exist, we'd have gone bankrupt. He took over at a very fractious time post-merger and built at least two, possibly three, great teams (3rd division team, 2nd division/SuperCaleyGoBallistic team and the team we had when he left) and played fantastic football. Every season he was our manager we finished top goalscorers in our league, just about. So many legends of our club were down to him - Jim Calder, Richard Hastings, Ross Tokely, Grant Munro, Bobby Mann, Russell Duncan, Roy McBain, Paul Cherry, Miek Teasdale, Barry Robson, Barry Wilson, Ian Stewart, Paul Ritchie, Dennis Wyness, Brian Thomson.

During his final months with us (when his life was falling to pieces through gambling and alcoholism) we played the best football I think I've ever seen from us. You'd turn up every week knowing that we'd probably score five goals.

I fucking love the man.

But would you take him back as your manager?

In his book, Paterson describes a time when he involved himself with a nefarious character

His cohort in their adventure, which I think involved either copper or lead, tried to drown him in a river pool.

With his what was left of his strength and a will fortified by adrenaline, Steve broke free and run for his life.

I don't think he's stopped running since.

Perhaps he has forever been chasing that adolescent high.

His life is a Bruce Springsteen song in 3d, with surround sound at the imax.

Steve Paterson, the outlaw, the outsider, the Cash like figure who in my eyes needs no redemption, will always be revered.

I think Ian Polworth should be the new Formartine manger !!!! Please comment! !

You can fcuk right off with that kind of talk, Ian. You're far too good for these Pitmedden swamp dwellers. Stay at Clach until you get a decent offer.

Used to regularly see him in the Ben Aigan when I used to live in Mosstodloch

I used to see him alot in the Garmouth Hotel. Only seen him sober a couple of times, once offered me £100 to be his son because he didnt have one. I declined the offer. Good guy who let alcohol get the better of him.

It won't be Polworth.

It will, however, most likely be his Shire equivalent, Kris Hunter.

Correct.

Evening Express 30/03/15:

FORMARTINE United this afternoon won their fight to make Kris Hunter their new manager.

The Pitmedden club have agreed a compensation deal with Fraserburgh for Hunter, who won three trophies in his four seasons in charge of the Buchan club.

Hunter succeeds Steve Paterson, who left North Lodge Park earlier this month following a run of disappointing results.

He made it clear he was moving on when he said his farewells to the Fraserburgh players at the weekend, before the clubs had agreed on a compensation.

Hunter will be unveiled as Formartine’s new boss at a press conference within the next 24 hours.

• 2 months later...

Archived