Sign in to follow this  
greyman

'The Snip'

He can call me what he likes, he's talking bollocks anyway.

I couldn't possibly comment on the risks on an individual basis, as I'm sure you've gathered from the course of your studies. However, given you're up to date with latest evidence, you have probably seen very recently - within just the last couple of days - the results of studies into the use of hormone therapies. Go and have a look for yourself.

Implanon contraceptive implant examined

Huynh Nguyen Khanh Trang (2007)

Mearns Leader [stonehaven (UK)] 17 Mar 2013.

Effectiveness and safety of the new contraceptive one-rod implant Implanon®

Hoang Thi Diem Tuyet

Use of the contraceptive implant beyond the FDA-approved duration (2014)

C. McNicholas

R. Maddipati,

G. Secura,

J. Peipert

(This study suggests that the rod may well be useful beyond the 4 year limit).

Metabolic effects of contraceptive implants in adolescents (2011)

Cristina A.F. Guazzelli, ,

Flaviano Teixeira de Queiroz,

Marcia Barbieri,

Fernando A. Barreiros,

Maria Regina Torloni,

Fabio F. Araujo

(The one above even states that the implant doesn't increase any chances of long term cardiovascular diseases, instead, it makes some girls a bit chubby - the horror).

A lot of the literature that I see points out that it's actually quite beneficial to the health of a female. You're going to need to link me to those studies you were referring to.

ETA: I apologise for the formatting of the post; it doesn't seem to agree with links from articles being posted.

Edited by DonnieDarko

Local injection, incision, location of the tubes, snip, done. Piece of piss. Off the table after half an hour and home as soon as you've had your tea and toast.

Fair enough, I'll go by your obvious knowledge and experience. I'd be wary as a youngish man to use it as method of contraception though unless your partner is in serious medical danger if she gets pregnant. She might dump you the next week. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Local injection, incision, location of the tubes, snip, done. Piece of piss. Off the table after half an hour and home as soon as you've had your tea and toast.

I was at work the next day.

Fair enough, I'll go by your obvious knowledge and experience. I'd be wary as a youngish man to use it as method of contraception though unless your partner is in serious medical danger if she gets pregnant. She might dump you the next week. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

There's not many surgeons who'd do it for a young guy anyway. It can be reversible but it's intended to be permanent so it's only recommended if you're absolutely sure that you don't want more or any children. I wouldn't let my husband do it because he's 10 years younger than me and, if I got hit by a bus tomorrow, he could meet someone else. If he got hit by a bus tomorrow and I met someone else, I still wouldn't want any more kids.

I don't know alot about it but is this mainly so that men and women don't have to use condoms/protection for the roughly 10-20 year period between having all their kids and menopause?

I had no idea so many men have it done

You forgot the bit about the balls and half way up the twanger being dark blue.

:lol: I'm not allowed to take pictures in theatre (I don't work in one anymore anyway) but, in layman's terms, it involves puncturing the abdomen twice, right through each layer and inflating the cavity with carbon dioxide.

I can't wait till 20th April!

I seperated from my husband last yr. I can't use hormone based contraceptives because of my mental health issues. After nearly dying after my third I want the certainty of steralisation(or as good as). And in an unhappy coincidence my copper coil as it turned out caused pid and I spent the weekend there hooked up to an iv drip.

Oh and my current boyfriends had the snip!

There's not many surgeons who'd do it for a young guy anyway. It can be reversible but it's intended to be permanent so it's only recommended if you're absolutely sure that you don't want more or any children. I wouldn't let my husband do it because he's 10 years younger than me and, if I got hit by a bus tomorrow, he could meet someone else. If he got hit by a bus tomorrow and I met someone else, I still wouldn't want any more kids.

I was just surprised that someone said here that they had it done when they were 30ish. I don't know the circumstances though.

I was just surprised that someone said here that they had it done when they were 30ish. I don't know the circumstances though.

I'm 32.

I can't wait till 20th April!

Just keep thinking of the drugs. Remember the drugs. :D

As he said though, he already had kids and was happy with the number of them. I can't imagine many men of that age that don't have kids would want to go through with it but then there's bound to be some.

I was 33 when I had it done but I had four boys and no plans to go through another pregnancy because I found it get harder each time. I got the usual "you're still very young for this" and "what if something happened to one of your children" but I really couldn't face another 9 months of constant pain, I want to concentrate on my career now and we're done with sleepless nights, toilet training and teething and before long, the youngest will be out of night time nappies and I will never, ever have to change another nappy again. :D

My brother-in-law had got a vasectomy done in his first marriage after having 4 kids.

My sister-in-law wanted a kid so he tried to get it reversed.

That never worked so he had to get a bit of his balls sliced and the sperm extracted from that.

It was rather painful he said. :huh: