'The Snip'

Right, so the age you start using the contraceptive implant won't potentially impact its usefulness? :lol:

So, your last part of the post; if a female takes gaps between their renewal, say 2 years between every 4 year implant, are the risks reduced or not? :rolleyes:

I think you're tying yourself in knots here. It's pretty simple. The longer the woman takes a contraceptive the higher the chances are that she will develop complications. No one is suggesting that a man in his 20s should have the snip and no surgeon would undertake the surgery. Certainly not on th NHS

I think you're tying yourself in knots here. It's pretty simple. The longer the woman takes a contraceptive the higher the chances are that she will develop complications. No one is suggesting that a man in his 20s should have the snip and no surgeon would undertake the surgery. Certainly not on th NHS

Yeah, there's the issue. A woman who takes the contraceptive implant for 2 renewals (8 years in total) will most likely not develop any complications whatsoever. Surely you can plan a family around that 8 year period where you won't be having kids?

I think if Weeperdee calls LM "old timer" again. Then his bird won't need a rod anymore.

He can call me what he likes, he's talking bollocks anyway.

Right, so the age you start using the contraceptive implant won't potentially impact its usefulness? :lol:

So, your last part of the post; if a female takes gaps between their renewal, say 2 years between every 4 year implant, are the risks reduced or not? :rolleyes:

I couldn't possibly comment on the risks on an individual basis, as I'm sure you've gathered from the course of your studies. However, given you're up to date with latest evidence, you have probably seen very recently - within just the last couple of days - the results of studies into the use of hormone therapies. Go and have a look for yourself.

Am I wrong in thinking that women have the choice of a simple tube blocking operation similar to our snip that doesn't involve any of these hormonal risks?

Women can have the fallopian tubes clamped and cut but the operation itself is a lot more invasive, requires a general anaesthetic and is more likely to incur complications on that basis. The recovery is longer and more painful and it's fucking brutal to watch too.

Women can have the fallopian tubes clamped and cut but the operation itself is a lot more invasive, requires a general anaesthetic and is more likely to incur complications on that basis. The recovery is longer and more painful and it's fucking brutal to watch too.

Pics or gtf!

Pics or gtf!

:lol: I'm not allowed to take pictures in theatre (I don't work in one anymore anyway) but, in layman's terms, it involves puncturing the abdomen twice, right through each layer and inflating the cavity with carbon dioxide.

:lol: I'm not allowed to take pictures in theatre (I don't work in one anymore anyway) but, in layman's terms, it involves puncturing the abdomen twice, right through each layer and inflating the cavity with carbon dioxide.

You're pure filth Mrs M. Pure filth.

Could we have a similarly graphic description of the snip?

Straight choice between me letting a trained, skilled surgeon take a scalpel to my baws and me suffering discomfort for 7-10 days, and never fathering any more kids which I was entirely comfortable with.

Or, Mrs Ranter, the woman that I love and a brilliant mother to our kids, chemically altering the balance of her body for years on end, and doing herself who knows what long-term damage.

While I felt some trepidation on the day (like you do before ANY surgery), the decision itself was a no-brainer.

If it came down to it.

I'll wear a condom

Could we have a similarly graphic description of the snip?

Local injection, incision, location of the tubes, snip, done. Piece of piss. Off the table after half an hour and home as soon as you've had your tea and toast.

He can call me what he likes, he's talking bollocks anyway.

I couldn't possibly comment on the risks on an individual basis, as I'm sure you've gathered from the course of your studies. However, given you're up to date with latest evidence, you have probably seen very recently - within just the last couple of days - the results of studies into the use of hormone therapies. Go and have a look for yourself.

Implanon contraceptive implant examined

Huynh Nguyen Khanh Trang (2007)

Mearns Leader [stonehaven (UK)] 17 Mar 2013.

Effectiveness and safety of the new contraceptive one-rod implant Implanon®

Hoang Thi Diem Tuyet

Use of the contraceptive implant beyond the FDA-approved duration (2014)

C. McNicholas

R. Maddipati,

G. Secura,

J. Peipert

(This study suggests that the rod may well be useful beyond the 4 year limit).

Metabolic effects of contraceptive implants in adolescents (2011)

Cristina A.F. Guazzelli, ,

Flaviano Teixeira de Queiroz,

Marcia Barbieri,

Fernando A. Barreiros,

Maria Regina Torloni,

Fabio F. Araujo

(The one above even states that the implant doesn't increase any chances of long term cardiovascular diseases, instead, it makes some girls a bit chubby - the horror).

A lot of the literature that I see points out that it's actually quite beneficial to the health of a female. You're going to need to link me to those studies you were referring to.

ETA: I apologise for the formatting of the post; it doesn't seem to agree with links from articles being posted.

Edited by DonnieDarko

Local injection, incision, location of the tubes, snip, done. Piece of piss. Off the table after half an hour and home as soon as you've had your tea and toast.

Fair enough, I'll go by your obvious knowledge and experience. I'd be wary as a youngish man to use it as method of contraception though unless your partner is in serious medical danger if she gets pregnant. She might dump you the next week. Not that I'm bitter or anything.