'The Snip'

32 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

I'm no doctor but it's exactly what happened. 

As I said the anesthetic was applied using an IV drip. I've got to say as well the idea that they stop with your tubes already pulled out would be way more horrific than what actually happened. I don't know what kind of butcher shop you guys got done in. I'm just glad I was in a hospital. 

You didn't get a general anaesthetic. You might have got a bit of sedation. Impressive they managed to draw up the drugs so quickly, mind.

I'm no sure information on how the recovery process is overly accessible or detailed enough by the NHS. 

I'm back at work today (day 5), been taking it easyish. Didn't go out for two days and mostly spent them on the couch. Done the big shop on Saturday and a bit more again yesterday.

Still slight swelling, bruised and tender. Mild pain if I'm walking too much. The worst bit is the growing back of my pubes though and the uncomfortable Y fronts for support giving me some chafing. Braw.

I got it done 20-odd years ago because my wife was on so many drugs because of her condition that she couldn't take the pill or it's derivatives. She also nearly died under anaesthetic on the operating table so the chances of her surviving childbirth weren't good. So it seemed a no-brainer. I've described the procedure up thread and how, due to the tubes unravelling, I've been in mild pain and discomfort for 20 years which is worth it compared to putting my wife through trauma.

However...

I get more than a bit pissed off when she has those teary moments and starts greetin that she wishes she'd had more kids, seems to be more and more lately. 

6 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

I get more than a bit pissed off when she has those teary moments and starts greetin that she wishes she'd had more kids, seems to be more and more lately. 

A couple of years after I got the snip,  Mrs Ranter announced that she was feeling broody again.

I pointed out that it was too late, and she replied "not for me, it isnt". 🤣

Edited by Boghead ranter

On the "back to work" front, I had my snip on a Saturday and was back at my (desk) job on the Monday. I can sit behind a desk as easily as at home.

Back in 1999 though I had a cyst on my right epididymis (the tube off the baw). I had it removed under general anesthetic. I was in hospital from 9 till 3 on a Friday. My baw swelled to double its size and was rock hard. On the Monday I went back to work as a door to door salesman and it wasn't all that bad. No stories of bloody clothes or anything I'm afraid.

Pretty much back to normal. Slight tenderness at the back of the left one, but that's all that's remaining.

The NHS don't really tell you what's normal and what is abnormal which leaves, what I'd say, is a week long period of looking at them and thinking 'there's no way that's normal'. That week has been the worst of it though.

• 2 months later...
Booked in for this on Wednesday. NHS in my area have a massive backlog so I've been passed over to a private clinic in Edinburgh, which has the added bonus that it'll be done under general anesthesic rather than local! 
Die Hard Doonhamer dies soft, they'll write.

12 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Booked in for this on Wednesday. NHS in my area have a massive backlog so I've been passed over to a private clinic in Edinburgh, which has the added bonus that it'll be done under general anesthesic rather than local! 

tenor.gif?itemid=5156360

On 10/09/2019 at 13:30, ShaggysBeard said:

Pretty much back to normal. Slight tenderness at the back of the left one, but that's all that's remaining.

The NHS don't really tell you what's normal and what is abnormal which leaves, what I'd say, is a week long period of looking at them and thinking 'there's no way that's normal'. That week has been the worst of it though.

They took away the right one? :o

How much you paying for private ? Or is it you pay f**k all as being passed over?

A general isn't a bonus, it has its own complications and can make you a bit vomity when you come round.
A local is the job, couple of wee jabs and ten minutes later you're supping tea and wondering what all the fuss was about.

8 hours ago, stimpy said:

A general isn't a bonus, it has its own complications and can make you a bit vomity when you come round.
A local is the job, couple of wee jabs and ten minutes later you're supping tea and wondering what all the fuss was about.

I think most people would consider it a bonus in this instance. f**k being awake when they’re about your bits with a scalpel. 

I think most people would consider it a bonus in this instance. f**k being awake when they’re about your bits with a scalpel. 
You don't see anything, you are tilted back while lying flat, really it's nothing.