Queen of the South v Cowdenbeath

If it was down to me I'd drive him up to you myself.

Thankfully it's not down to you then.

Whatever his faults, he scored the first today (as he did last week), set up the second with an absolutely sublime 25 yard backheel flick and generally was a thorn in Cowden's flesh all day. He was given Man of the Match and now has 13 goals for the season, pretty much none of which were scored whilst playing as an out and out forward.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'd drive our top goalscorer away? Yes, he is frustrating at times, but we'd be a weaker side without him. There isn't anyone else in the league scores as many goals as him from his position.

No I'd leave Del down here.

Tbf to the Cowden boy, Russell really could have been sent off today. It was in the first half (before his goal, as stated) and he never received a foul that he was expecting. Whilst on the deck he kicked out** at the 'offending' Cowden player. If the ref had caught it I reckon Russell would have been in serious bother.

** It reminded me very much of Beckham against the Argies. His leg was up already and he pushed it in the direction of the player. Thankfully for us the player stayed on his feet though!

I thought he did it twice within a minute or two. Beckham was exactly what went through my mind at the time.

His backheel was top notch for the goal and i'd have him in my team in a heartbeat but he is also a diving b*****d when he is so much better than that.

At least he had a bit banter with the away fans. He knows what he is doing.

I thought there was a wee period when we might/should have nicked an equaliser but queens would still have gone on to win it if we keep letting players free in the box. Was it durnan's first touch for the goal?

At that point queens had taken russell off and put durnan on to stamp out the threat we were posing.

Despite some better moments in the 2nd half no doubt about the result. Would be happy if queens won the playoffs good bunch and nice wee away day.

An open entertaining game of football. Queens could have scored more with some nice one twos around the box which didn't quite come off. The opening goal was a rerun of last week and although an excellent corner from Miller he did hit a couple of poor ones which I am sure McShane would have got pelters for had he taken it.

Second half started well with another excellent fast break goal with great vision and pass from Miller and flick from Russell who set up Paton. A bad mistake by Holt that forwards and midfielders do all day but when its a defender it can be more costly. Still not sure how Higgins managed to score as it should have been mopped up by covering defenders (maybe 4 of them) and Clark too. After that we struggled a bit as goal gave Cowdenbeath confidence. Nish came on to give aerial threat and Fowler could see it wasn't working at the back and switched Dowie to right back and Kidd into midfield so Durnan could cope with Nish height. Fortunately Durnan scored with first touch and it was game over. Lyle took his shot well (if only we had shot like that with wind against Falkirk) and Danny then had a similar go in last few minutes.

Surprised Russell got MOM but would have been up there but for me behind Miller and Carmichael

If it was down to me I'd drive him up to you myself.

Yeah get rid of one of our better players who has rattled in goals whilst playing out wide. Is this because of the incident with nade last week? Absolutely love it when beany winds up opposition fans too.

An open entertaining game of football. Queens could have scored more with some nice one twos around the box which didn't quite come off. The opening goal was a rerun of last week and although an excellent corner from Miller he did hit a couple of poor ones which I am sure McShane would have got pelters for had he taken it.

Second half started well with another excellent fast break goal with great vision and pass from Miller and flick from Russell who set up Paton. A bad mistake by Holt that forwards and midfielders do all day but when its a defender it can be more costly. Still not sure how Higgins managed to score as it should have been mopped up by covering defenders (maybe 4 of them) and Clark too. After that we struggled a bit as goal gave Cowdenbeath confidence. Nish came on to give aerial threat and Fowler could see it wasn't working at the back and switched Dowie to right back and Kidd into midfield so Durnan could cope with Nish height. Fortunately Durnan scored with first touch and it was game over. Lyle took his shot well (if only we had shot like that with wind against Falkirk) and Danny then had a similar go in last few minutes.

Surprised Russell got MOM but would have been up there but for me behind Miller and Carmichael

Yeah get rid of one of our better players who has rattled in goals whilst playing out wide. Is this because of the incident with nade last week? Absolutely love it when beany winds up opposition fans too.

No, just call me old fashioned but I liked it when football was played by men who got stuck in and didn't feign injury.

Russell is plain and simply a cheat who spends half the game falling and rolling about looking to get opponents either booked or sent off and he's not a stranger to petulant kick outs as he showed again today. As far as I'm concerned there's no place for that in any sport, I didn't like it when he did against us while he was playing for other teams and I still don't like it now that he's playing for us.

It sure is. The opener today was virtually identical to Russell's goal last week except it was a header today.

McShane has been poor of late. I'd put McKenna or Burns beside Millar next week. Tighten things up. He was too slack with his passing today which is a problem when he also doesn't tackle.

He seems to have gone back a bit form-wise, still plenty of running around but with limited input. Can't understand why Millar gets hooked and McShane stays on, unless Millar is still not 100% fit. We need a bit more dig in midfield which McKenna would provide and Millar's corners, free-kicks, and passes are much better than McShane's.

Thought we played some great one touch football today and created great openings in final third. McShane and Millar controlled the central midfield area which enabled us to dominate the proceedings.

We had a wobble after conceding the goal but Lyle made a big difference when he came on.

Another very solid performance with Russell and Danny both causing havoc in the wide areas.

Dowie and Higgins continue to play brilliantly for us - I am disappointed that we havent signed them as yet for next season. I sincerely hope that we are not becoming complacent in this department because when I compare this pair with central defenders in bottom six Premier League teams I certainly wouldnt swap them . If we can offer John Baird a two year deal then it s a no brainer to do likewise for this pair and certain others. Unfortunately I fear the worst and suspect that we may have missed the boat - Dundee keen on Dowie and Higgy must be impressing as well. Sincerely hope that I am wrong on both counts!!

For Cowden - Wedderburn did well again and I liked Marshall in midfield. Hope they can take something from Falkirk match on Tuesday.

Archived