A Guitar-related Question

Andy_K_97

What guitar to buy?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Evening all. I'm finding myself in a bit of a quandary regards buying a new electric guitar. I'm set on buying either a Danelectro 12-string electric or a Fender Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster and I've been stuck between what I want for the past fortnight. So, in an attempt to try and decide what I want I'm putting it up to you, music forum cuntos.

To help you all decide, here are two pictures.

The Danelectro:

244980.jpg

The Squier:

269129.jpg

So, what should I buy?

It's a bit like saying should I buy an electric guitar or an acoustic guitar...a guitar or a bass....you're not comparing like-for-like.

What is it you're going to be playing, cos what you play on one you (generally) won't really play on the other?

If you go for the 12 string you're pretty much limited to that.

I'd consider something like a Line 6 modelling guitar then you can have lots of different guitar sounds including 12 string.

They're pretty good and nice to play.

It's a bit like saying should I buy an electric guitar or an acoustic guitar...a guitar or a bass....you're not comparing like-for-like.

What is it you're going to be playing, cos what you play on one you (generally) won't really play on the other?

This

• 3 months later...

Sly bump of what I guess is the most appropriate thread.

Picked this up earlier today. Preowned but hardly a mark on it as the boy was a drummist and didn't really play much guitar. Had a hollowbody years ago and regretted selling it. Has P90s too so will have that snarl. Looking forward to cranking it loud at next rehearsal.

post-22047-0-08014400-1435523435_thumb.j

Sly bump of what I guess is the most appropriate thread.

Picked this up earlier today. Preowned but hardly a mark on it as the boy was a drummist and didn't really play much guitar. Had a hollowbody years ago and regretted selling it. Has P90s too so will have that snarl. Looking forward to cranking it loud at next rehearsal.

attachicon.gif20150628_150838-1.jpg

Nice. 8)

Plugged in this evening. Tuned it a whole step down. Playing some Killing Joke. Sounds beautifully menacing.

Lovely stuff - the guitar looks a belter Derek!

For the record I bought the Jazzmaster - it's been brilliant to play so far, got a nice bit of snarl on the pickups!

Only issue I've had with it was then the neck strap pin when it went loose, but I took the screw out and drilled it back in with a match inside the hole. Been brilliant since!

• 1 month later...

Have TV Jones pick ups on three off my guitars :-
T90 on my PRS SEOne- stock pick up was ok but too similar to the bridge pick up in my PRSMcCarty Soapbar. the T90 looks like a P90 but tone wise is a bit closer to a filtertron, a sort of cross between a T90 and a P90, has the balls of a P90 with the twang of a filtertron. Your amp settings and your right hand technique will be crucial in getting the tone you are looking for.
Have two filtertron style TV Jones on my Eggle New York Broadway
Have a TV Jones in the neck position of my Levinson Blade Telecaster
TV Jones p/ups are superb however I would suggest that you google Oil City pickups and get Ash to build you a filtertron style p/up at about half the price of a TV Jones equivalent and boutique quality

Archived