Foreign Languages

Which part of Sutherland was your dad from? Not many speakers left there sadly.

He was from Strathy, which I think is now part of Caithness but wasn't when he was wee.

The more languages the better at an early age is definitely good too, studies regularly show that bilingual kids tend to do better all round than monoglots and find it easier to pick up more languages. If you can give your child another language then you should really try and do it. English is omnipresent anyway, my oldest daughter was fluent at a very young age despite never hearing it from her parents.

Weans are absolutely brilliant at acquiring languages. What's the story about your older girl?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably passable French, little bit of German and Spanish.

My Mrs speaks French fluently and a bit of German after living in both countries, so she tends to deal with everything when we travel.

I'm sure it does when she has to call into the local nick and explain to pc plod the reason you have over indulged with the local sherbet's on offer. :P

Can anyone speak any fluently? And if so, how did you learn? I'm in the car a couple hours a day at the moment and fancy making the time worthwhile by learning one. Has anyone done this, any tips, and how long did it take until you could hold a conversation in the language?

you need to speak a language every day and have something to aim towards. To be honest I've tried learning a few languages just to chat up pretty birds...

post-12982-0-03402300-1426285851_thumb.j

the lads laughed at Shug taking Spanish lessons until the day that ground hopper from Paraguay turned up...

He was from Strathy, which I think is now part of Caithness but wasn't when he was wee.

Weans are absolutely brilliant at acquiring languages. What's the story about your older girl?

Excellent, I know a couple of folk from up there. There is an excellent book about Sutherland Gaelic which was published recently that you might be interested in, one of the informants was from Strathy. There is a CD with the book. It's called Gaidhlig Dhuthaich MhicAoidh, The Gaelic of the Mackay Country and was put together by Seumas Grannd.

We don't speak English at home. Our eldest is 5 and totally fluent in both languages for a while now. The younger one is two and has recently started throwing in random English sentences and is understanding more and more when people speak English to her. As you say, kids pick them up easily. There are those however who say that adults are just as good or better but that the way we have tried to learn languages as adults has often been flawed (the reading and writing approach) and held us back. I reckon there is plenty of truth in that, all of us learned our first language by being surrounded by it and speaking it rather than trying to read and write it first :) .

I could speak enough french from school to get me by if I was to visit there.

Wanted to learn Turkish for some reason, don't know why to be honest.

How people who pick up english from gaelic is fascinating. on the mainland it was mostly from the bible so my aunty nell from sutherland speaks about serpents rather than snakes when talking about the adders over the summer.

she also would never say she is hungry but what a hunger is upon her. anything bad is upon you. what a tiredness/ hunger/ boredom is upon me.

Learnt Spanish years ago, but forgotten loads of it, but probably could still get by. Went to night school classes for that. Can speak a bit of Hungarian having lived there for 6 years. I can read Cyrillic which I picked up in Russia as well as some basic phrases and know small bits of Turkish, Tagalog, Mandarin, German and Polish, but only enough to be pleasant which I picked up from living and working in these places. Really wish I could spend time to learn more and have more than just phrases.

Gaidhlig :) .

Is it an interesting phenomenon or am I going off on one here, Waspie? When I was a wean in Motherwell in the 60s we had a fair few native Gaels who had regular Saturday night Cèilidhs - but only for the cognoscente. The rest of the world though it was weird.

Now? It would be seen as cool.

How people who pick up english from gaelic is fascinating. on the mainland it was mostly from the bible so my aunty nell from sutherland speaks about serpents rather than snakes when talking about the adders over the summer.

she also would never say she is hungry but what a hunger is upon her. anything bad is upon you. what a tiredness/ hunger/ boredom is upon me.

It happens much less now they are older but I'd regularly hear the likes of "Has their come blood?" after one of my weans skint their knee or "Can you spare my pudding?" - both of which literal Swedish translations.

When we were living near Banchory my older girl was pals with a lassie with a French father and a Spanish mother. Her parents spoke to her in their own native tongue and she learned English at school. Lucky wer bassa, fit like.

I'd imagine that it's pretty similar to your own experience with Swedish , Kincardine. We are lucky also in that they plenty of wee friends and also cousins nearby in the same situation. It feels normal rather than a phenomenon.

I can speak French, Italian and Polish to a decent level...Know a bit of Spanish, but wouldn't feel comfortable having a conversation. Throughout my life I've lived in Poland for about 6 months (not consecutive) and as a result I can talk my way through most situations.

I've learned and completely forgotten Italian about three times now. It's one of those things you need to do every day or it just doesn't stick in your head. Since it's 4 years since I spent any time in Italy I'm currently in a 'completely forgotten' phase.

The best ways to learn are get the basics and then read and speak to people. Kinda obvious I suppose. Watch TV or get a dictionary and basically go through a novel word by word.

Archived