Airdrie v Morton

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McLuskey scored the first 3 goals and McManus scored a meaningless goal at the end. Mccluskey's goals won the match.

They didn't. Morton won the match 4-0, McCluskey scored three. Had he not scored those apparently all-important goals against the Galacticos that were, erm, Stirling Albion, then Morton would have still won that game. And I very much doubt that any of our proper attackers would have failed to take any of the chances presented to McCluskey.

Claim dismissed.

without midfielders supplying strikers with chances players like Mcdonald, Caldwell and McManus don't score. Jamie has done that on numerous occasions this season.

Creating "numerous" chances over an entire season for a title-chasing side is not an achievement. meanwhile your evidence for Jamie McCluskey driving any Morton performance is notable by its absence.

With slow build up play and poor defending we won't win anything, however we have been on a very decent run recently. One game doesn't make us a horrendous team.

I'm far from a happy clapper and am very critical of the team this season including Saturdays performance. However on recent form the McLuskey brothers are not our biggest problem

Who could possibly be responsible for "slow build up play" in the current Morton side? Could it be due to fielding a left-sided winger who regularly fails to beat his defender or deliver a meaningful final ball (Stefan) or... his stepover king brother who requires fifteen touches and a Sean Fitzharris style wander around in circles before passing the ball to another Morton player, killing any attacking momentum of a team best suited to hitting quickly on the counter-attack?

Tough call tbh.

I'm all for Orr being given a run. The more youth players that are capable and given a chance the better. No idea if Orr plays as a centre forward or left winger though?

We are a third tier club at present there's no arguing with that. In my opinion we do have thot tier players playing for us - Lamie, Kilday, Crichton Milojevic the Mcluskeys, McKee, Miller. We have 4 or 5 who are better than that however that's it.

Will we be able to tell the difference between the managers?

One of them will be delivering at least a competent contribution to his team on the day; the other will be screaming nonsense towards 'Riiiickiiiii' while waving his arms around like a fanny.

I think if Airdrie can keep solid at the back, we'll probably have real trouble given how badly we misfired on Saturday. We're going to need to rely on big errors.

How have Airdrie been on that count?

Hiya sweetcheeks.

Since you asked, we've looked much, much less likely to cataclysmic errors since big Ben went back to Thistle. His replacement looks a tad more composed.

As I say, from what I've seen, we should be difficult to break down. Whether we've enough up top to win, is another matter entirely.

Who do we play in Listers position for this game? I thought Morton had a good game down at Ayr and he offered us some pace and drive going forward but lacked a bit in his final product. I'd like to see Boyle back in the team to start with two natural strikers upfront but he seems to be out of the picture which begs the question as to why he is kept on every season.

He had a 2 year contract. My memory might be slightly off, but as I remember it he got given a 2 year extension, then shortly after did his knee and then spent the first year of those 2 years injured, and this is him coming up to the end of his second year of that extension. I'm pretty sure he's never signed anything after his injury.

Bollan doesn't seem to have much faith in him, whether that's due to his knee who knows, but he'll surely be away at the end of the season. It's a shame because the season he got injured he was in great form.

Duffy mentioning in his Inverclyde TV interview that he'll continue to pick the team based on the opposition and the weather conditions. :lol: No Jim, you should be fielding your best team in every game no matter who we're playing or what the weather is like. He also said there won't be many changes this weekend. :(

On the game, it's hard to tell without knowing how we'll line up, but without Lister I struggle to see us scoring, and although we've been great defensively Morton will surely get chances with their strikers.

I'd say a narrow Morton win.

Every week we go through that and every week we are left disappointed when we see the line up!

Duffy mentioning in his Inverclyde TV interview that he'll continue to pick the team based on the opposition and the weather conditions. :lol: No Jim, you should be fielding your best team in every game no matter who we're playing or what the weather is like. He also said there won't be many changes this weekend. :(

You could understand maybe making small changes to the tactics depending on your opposition, but given your status in this league you should be the one playing to your own strengths and letting the other teams react to that. It seems like he's trying to be too smart for his own good.

The main reason for our good run of results is firstly getting better players, but also getting a settled side. Seems Duffy isn't playing his best players and isn't keeping a settled side, again it seems he's over complicating it.

I'm surprised by all the Morton fans expecting us to get a result - Duffy may be getting a lot of things wrong, but they aren't top of the league for no reason.

We're top on the basis of an eight game unbeaten run between the defeat to Airdrie at Cappielow and last Saturday; in none of those games were we fully convincing though.

Given the continued failure of Duffy to select his fucking obvious strongest team and Saturday's farce, the mood has swung rather fairly towards our luck having been well and truly exhausted at a crucial stage in the season. An average run-in after last week is no longer good enough to win the league, so something impressive is now actually required on the pitch.

Archived