London

P45

Best place for a pint Barbican/Old street area?

Tricky one. Lots of Corney and Barrow sort of places full of wankerish City types. The Jugged Hare is one to especially avoid. The nearest 'normal' pub to the Barbican I can think of is The Shakespeare on Goswell Road near Barbican station.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

I passed the Shakespeare and went into the Jugged Hare.

Cripes!

Maybe it's ok during the week/during the day. I went one Friday after work and it was mobbed. There were definitely blokes in red cords. I'm sure cravats were also won. The girl I was with, though, loved it.

I'm a big fan of London. Staying in Woolwich on Tuesday with work. Anything at all to do or am I as well heading somewhere else and getting a train back?

Never been over that side of the city before.

I know almost nothing about Woolwich apart from it being Arsenal's original home. I would be tempted to walk the Woolwich foot tunnel, though, and get the ferry back. Not that it's a great night out but just that not many folk will have done it. It would be improved by a wee 1/4 bottle I'm sure.

There are plenty of decent boozers in Greenwich, not that far away.

Edited.....you can also get a river bus from Woolwich up to The City or West End.

I actually found Londoners to be off puttingly friendly when I went for the first time. I was about 13 and randomers in cafés and trains etc kept asking me what my first time in "the city" was like .

Looking back I might just have been groomed.

No Internet in those days to groom the teenagers eh?

I fucking hate London.

Its a big dirty shitehole.

It's like anywhere else, it has good parts and bad parts. I spend a lot of time for work in a really awful part (Feltham), but just a couple of train stops away, Twickenham is quite good. Just got to know where you're going.

I actually found Londoners to be off puttingly friendly when I went for the first time. I was about 13 and randomers in cafés and trains etc kept asking me what my first time in "the city" was like .

Looking back I might just have been groomed.

If you were near Westminster or Television Centre, almost certainly.

Archived