London

P45

I am considering taking a job in London when my current one in Glasgow finishes at the end of the month.

I've been to London a fair few times but I get the impression that living and working there would be very different.

Have any P&Bers worked down there for more than 6-9 months that can pass on any information?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i studied and worked there for about 11 months.

It's a great city but very expensive as you already know in terms of accommodation and living expenses however you may get a higher salary as a result of this.

if it's only for 6-9 months then I would defo do it. Nothing to lose and it'll look great on your CV.

Go to London! I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated. Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway.

Lived there for 4 years from 19 to 24. This was nearly 30 years ago though.

I had the time of my life. Earned a fortune, spent said fortune on drink, drugs and vinyl.

Made loads of friends, some that I still have today.

I had a music scene that I could fall right into so that made it easier.

I would sat go for it. It takes a while to get used to the place but just go for it. Great life experience.

I'm working there at the moment. Well, I commute and do a few days a week on site and WFH the rest of the time.

Been on this job for 9 months now.

What would you like to know? Bearing in mind that I don't live there I'll help with what I can, but maybe you're after info on places to rent and the like, which I wont be able to help with.

Depends on where it is and what the job is? If you can move somewhere close to your work then why not? Only downside I've heard to London is the commuting which sounds like a b*****d. Know somebody that went down and had to travel for ages to get to their work, hated it. Then knew someone else who went, worked in spoons in city centre, stayed in city centre and loved it. It'd be an experience. Go for it. Although you won't see much of Thistle, dunno if that'd bother you like :P

I moved there straight from Uni and worked there for a few years (and met Mrs Shandon Par). Took a bit of getting used to but I felt really at home there. It has so many non-natives that nobody bats an eyelid at what you sound like or look like. Always love a trip back there.

Only thing I missed about Scotland was the open views - there's no real horizon in London so you can feel a bit hemmed in.

It's such a massive place with so many interesting areas you'd end up probably hardly leaving your own area.

Me and my partner considered it last year but decided against it. We calculated that even with London weighting we would have considerably less disposable income than we would have moving to Leeds (or what we had in Glasgow). We compared the size of flat we could afford and potential locations that would be close enough to a reasonable commute and basically found out we would live in an unreasonably small place or at least one of is would have a hellish commute to work. Decided it was too claustrophobic and probably not worth the stress.

On the other hand my sister and her boyfriend moved down last summer and they both absolutely love if. Say that it's stressful at times, and they seem suddenly constantly skint, but worth it. Think it depends on your temperament.

Absolutely fantastic place to visit, just wouldn't be the sort of place I would chose to move to.

What do you do for a living?

I have a lot of friends and ex colleagues who are living and working in London. Mostly enjoy it, but as stated it is a fairly expensive place to live unless you are happy with a long journey every morning and evening.

Unless you are incredibly fortunate, the only way to get anywhere to stay is a flat share, and unless you know someone looking to rent a room it'll likely be with someone you don't know. If you can handle that I would say go for it.

I am considering taking a job in London when my current one in Glasgow finishes at the end of the month.

I've been to London a fair few times but I get the impression that living and working there would be very different.

Have any P&Bers worked down there for more than 6-9 months that can pass on any information?

London is the tits. Get down there and experience it. What's the worst that can happen? If you don't like it you come home.

Unless you are incredibly fortunate, the only way to get anywhere to stay is a flat share, and unless you know someone looking to rent a room it'll likely be with someone you don't know. If you can handle that I would say go for it.

Or you could seduce your lovely lady boss and get a fancy flat on the Thames ^_^

I was in London from 2002-2004 and from 2007-2009, so my info is old. To summarise: I liked it.

Make the odd trip to Southend? It reminded me a bit of Kirkcaldy - the boy racers, shopping trolleys in the sea etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Summer in London is fantastic tbh.

The biggest problem does look to be accommodation. I'll need to keep my flat in Glasgow and it looks like rent alone near to where work would be at Bank station is about £1500-£1800 a month for a studio/1 bedroom flat.

I'd get fed up with a long 80 minute + commute, even for 6 months so I'd really need to stay fairly close to work.

So it looks like I'll need to get at least £1500-1800 more than I am on now to make sure it doesn't end up just costing me a lot of money.

Hmmmm.

Thanks for the replies.

Summer in London is fantastic tbh.

The biggest problem does look to be accommodation. I'll need to keep my flat in Glasgow and it looks like rent alone near to where work would be at Bank station is about £1500-£1800 a month for a studio/1 bedroom flat.

I'd get fed up with a long 80 minute + commute, even for 6 months so I'd really need to stay fairly close to work.

So it looks like I'll need to get at least £1500-1800 more than I am on now to make sure it doesn't end up just costing me a lot of money.

Hmmmm.

You could probably get a nice one bed flat around Docklands for £1100pm. Take you no time to get to work, easy to get around for nights out and only a short trip to Greenwich if you need a bit of greenery in your life.

Archived