Crusader Kings II

RandomGuy.

You do have a lot more ability to influence the game than you think. It just takes a lot of practice until you realise that. Marrying yourself to a powerful family is a must as a small dynasty. The first games are the best though. My first game I started as the Duke of Salerno, did nothing for a hundred years before I ended up marrying the female Basilissa of the Byzantine Empire. Inherited it when my character and his wife died before totally fucking it up, losing three quarters of it in independence revolts before being ousted and ruling half of the empires remaining lands as the Despot of Syria. Was great fun partially cause I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

This bishop starting beefing with me and tried to revolt on Dublin, so I got some troops over from Wales (I have an alliance with them through my heir's marriage) and slapped them down. Not sure how, right enough, it just seemed to happen.

I manage to kill my wife and married a Hungarian princess - her father passed away and I have a loose claim on the throne, but I can't do anything about it because I'd levied an army when I was dueling with the bishop.

Got paid today and I quite fancy getting some DLC but I'm not sure if I should make sure I like this game first before spending any more money. I want to like it but it's not giving me anything back just yet.

Wonderfully fun game. I've not got round to playing the latest DLC Horse Lords yet but will fire up pretty soon I imagine. I have the other DLCs and all add a lot of flavour and fun apart from the Aztec Invasion one, I really dislike that. In my last game I started out using the Charlemagne DLC as a Norse viking in some Swedish county before eventually having my dynasty form a Reformed Norse Merchant Republic that ruled the Empire of Scandinavia and the Baltics and kicked the arse of a few Catholic Crusades called against me. A lot plotting was done against the Karling Dynasty that spawned off Charlemagne and ruled pretty much all of Europe.

At the start I was much like you and messed around in Ireland to get the hang of it. It can be a bit dull over there compared to mainland Europe but keep at it and once you pick up some of the nuances of the game it can be a thoroughly entertaining game. The Wiki is a very good resource and has a pretty cool Interesting Characters Guide which is good for some inspiration http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Interesting_characters_guide

I would recommend a game in the standard start as Duchess Matilda of Tuscany and go about forming the Kingdom of Italy, had great fun doing that. Also saves in Spain to try and push Islam out of the penninsula are rather challenging and interesting.

I'm playing a lot more of another Paradox game, Europa Universalis 4, right now which is set from around the end of the CK2 timeline up to 1821 and plays more like a Total War type grand strategy where you are the omnipresent ruler of a nation rather than an individual character or dynasty. Both games are superb in their own way, as are the other Paradox strategies I have played; Victoria II which goes from the end of EU4 to 1930s and is much more about economy and politics and Hearts of Iron which is a WW2 military strategy that has a reduced scope than others but a ludicrous amount of detail for the period. A new HoI should be out this year which looks a lot more user friendly.

Arumba is a good watch for CK2 and EU4 https://www.youtube.com/user/arumba07

The converter for CK2 to EU4 is a great bit of dlc when it actually works. There's potential to play from 769 through till 1821.

There's also a EU4 to Vic2 converter so you could in theory go from 769 to 1936

Been off this week and started up an EU4 save as Venice yesterday. Naval superiority v the Ottomans and blocking the Straits from Asia to Europe meaning they have to sit across watching Constantinople and their European possessions fall without ever having a battle is very satisfying.

Everyone close to me - my wife, my grandson, my courtiers - are all dying of various ailments.

I had to give up one of my areas because my demesne was too big, so I gave it to my son. I don't know why this happened. I'm approaching 55 and I fear I won't be long for this world. My heir is currently my chaplain and he's doing a great job of talking me up around Europe. My granddaughters are all getting set up with princes and kings around Europe, so that's something good for the future I suppose.

Again, I still don't feel like I'm doing anything to influence things. I played the game on hyper speed and nothing crucial seemed to happen for five years.

http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/crusaderkings2cheatscodes.html

I know cheating isn't everyone's cup of tea but having unlimited amounts of cash,piety and prestige can be pretty fun for a King of a small country like Scotland :whistle .

Has anyone played the Game of Thrones modification? Looks pretty sweet! http://www.moddb.com/mods/crusader-kings-2-a-game-of-thrones-ck2agot

Edited by sergie's no1 fan

There's also a EU4 to Vic2 converter so you could in theory go from 769 to 1936

Been off this week and started up an EU4 save as Venice yesterday. Naval superiority v the Ottomans and blocking the Straits from Asia to Europe meaning they have to sit across watching Constantinople and their European possessions fall without ever having a battle is very satisfying.

Aye I had a go at it once and it was cool to have a literal communist Byzantine Empire and the Golden Horde (which ruled from modern Ukraine to the farthest east of Asia and the edge of India) being dissected by the Great Powers.

• 2 weeks later...

Really beginning to get into this. I'm onto my fourth character, a tubby Earl of Dublin, and after numerous attempts my chancellor finally fabricated a claim against Cil Dara, the county next to Dublin. I won most of the wars against their boys and began to lay siege to the capital. As luck would have it, my betrothal to a princess in the Byzantine Empire came to fruition and I was able to form a solid alliance with them. They offered to help me in my war and sent over 12,000 troops (but by the time they came over the war was won).

I need 181 gold to unite the areas and form the Duchy of Meath. No idea how long that will take to get together (I've got something like 35 just now) but I can't wait to see what happens. One step closer to becoming the King of Ireland.

Count level is where the scheming really takes a life of its own. Can you rise your house to the Duchy of Austria and then Emperor of the HRE, King Of Spain, King of Portugal etc. starting as House Hapsburg Count of Aargau (modern Switzerland).

What about starting as House Nassau, can you lead your house to become head of a United Netherlands.

Really beginning to get into this. I'm onto my fourth character, a tubby Earl of Dublin, and after numerous attempts my chancellor finally fabricated a claim against Cil Dara, the county next to Dublin. I won most of the wars against their boys and began to lay siege to the capital. As luck would have it, my betrothal to a princess in the Byzantine Empire came to fruition and I was able to form a solid alliance with them. They offered to help me in my war and sent over 12,000 troops (but by the time they came over the war was won).

I need 181 gold to unite the areas and form the Duchy of Meath. No idea how long that will take to get together (I've got something like 35 just now) but I can't wait to see what happens. One step closer to becoming the King of Ireland.

I had to raise taxes and wait a couple of years but I finally raised the gold to become the King of Meath. Great times. I'm quite keen on becoming the King of Ireland but it's all dependent on waiting for my chancellor to fabricate claims on other counties and that seems to take ages. I instigated a plot to kill the Countess of one area but that hasn't seemed to do much to advance things.

What should I do to get more land?

Bought the Charlemange DLC and started all over again. I went the Chief of Dublin and tried doing the same things I did in the previous game, only faster (because I had a handle on what I was doing this time around). I quickly put in place the Duchy of Meath and the Duchy of Connacht but when I died, the titles were split between my two sons. As his eldest son, the High Chieftain of Meath, I plotted to murder my younger brother and get back Connacht, which worked.

I pressed a claim on the county of something-or-other, towards the south, and was looking to fabricate a claim on a second county when my character died. I had two sons, so I'm back to the start again with the Duchy of Meath, while my younger brother got Connacht and the other county. I'm too young to plot to murder him, but I will. Then it's onto unifying Ireland. Hopefully I do it before I die.

Is there any way to change what happens on succession? This constant fratricide every 40 years isn't good for anyone.

Imagine youd have yo change your succession laws. This might be a useful link, but im not sure if its exactly what youre after..

http://crusaderkings-two.wikia.com/wiki/Succession_Laws

How do I get my armies to move?

I've clicked on the "go to" location button and then despite clicking on other azrmies, various towns, all with the wee green arrow showing, nothing happens.......

Found out how.....

Still can't decide if I like the game or not.

Currently getting my arse kicked from pillar to post as King David of Scotland.

Edited by akredz

How do I get my armies to move?

I've clicked on the "go to" location button and then despite clicking on other azrmies, various towns, all with the wee green arrow showing, nothing happens.......

Found out how.....

Still can't decide if I like the game or not.

Currently getting my arse kicked from pillar to post as King David of Scotland.

It's a hard game, probably the most difficult I've ever played. The lack of intuitive gameplay, the poor tutorials and the aggression of the lads around you make it really tricky in parts. Start off in Ireland, you're free to beef with whoever you want with without any real repercussions.

If you're tribal then you can't change succession laws until you either feudalise or become a merchant republic which can be done by building your main capital holding to a level iv stone hillfort or the equivalent for a city. Otherwise if you're feudal and want to change succession it can be done by fulfilling criteria along the lines of reigning for ten years, having no vassals at war with each other and no vassals with a negative opinion of you.