Inverness Caledonian Thistle F.C. vs Celtic F.C. // SC Semi Final

What about when a winger chips the ball into a defenders hands, which are down by his side, when trying to beat them. You see this happen a lot. Should that be a penalty?

Can't wait to see crosses become redundant as wingers aim for hands instead of team mates tbh

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about when a winger chips the ball into a defenders hands, which are down by his side, when trying to beat them. You see this happen a lot. Should that be a penalty?

Can't wait to see crosses become redundant as wingers aim for hands instead of team mates tbh

So what are you saying any handball is allowed as long as it's not deliberate

From what I can gather online from verdict is that the panel said they couldn't rule on the incident as deliberate handball is down to interpretation.

In other words they didn't give a verdict about incident.

All the reports I have read say that Meekings was cleared because he did not deliberately stop a goal scoring opportunity so either of two conclusions were reached, the incident was not a goal scoring opportunity or it was not deliberate.

If the incident was not a goal scoring opportunity then why mention the word deliberate?

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=1848&newsID=14649

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=1848&newsID=14656

I actually do think it was deliberate but there is no conspiracy against Celtic. It's just a game of football. He got away with that. Thems the breaks.

It's time to change that rule though. Every handball in the box should be a penalty. Most of the top defenders exploit this rule by coming out arms flying everywhere. They know exactly what they are doing. Go back 20 years when most of these decisions were penalties defenders were coming out with their arms behind their backs.

It's too much of a grey area now. Too much room for complaints. Handball in the box should be a penalty

That's not the case at all.

The cry of 'played him' was far more prevalent 20 years ago. It's only recently that the notion of 'unnatural position' has entered the dialogue.

It's also true that players used to get praise and at worst a booking, for goal line handballs a couple of decades ago.

I'm sure retrospective action has not only been used for violent acts. Simulation?

Yes, you're right - fair enough.

I think that even with simulation though, again there's a notion of malice, that Meekings' actions on this occasion lacked.

I'm delighted with today's decision although I'm surprised by it. Having decided to go down this unprecedented route, I'm not entirely clear what the grounds for reversing it could be.

I've little doubt that the initial decision was made as a response to the uproar among fans, whether or not it happened before Celtic's absurd letter.

I also suspect that today's call reflected the FIFA stance and the permission to undo the decision, granted by Delia.

In other words, such judgements have less to do with principle than with a spineless willingness to be blown by the prevailing wind.

Is there any reason the assistant behind the goals is on the same side of the pitch as the line official ?

As well as more of the pitch being visible, more angles on goalmouth incidents would be gained if they were on the other side.

Is there any reason the assistant behind the goals is on the same side of the pitch as the line official ?

As well as more of the pitch being visible, more angles on goalmouth incidents would be gained if they were on the other side.

It's something to do with the diagonal a ref is meant to use to cover the pitch or such. You'd definitely think the guy should be on the other side of the goal though.

They originally were, but then changed it, IIRC.

I actually do think it was deliberate but there is no conspiracy against Celtic. It's just a game of football. He got away with that. Thems the breaks.

It's time to change that rule though. Every handball in the box should be a penalty. Most of the top defenders exploit this rule by coming out arms flying everywhere. They know exactly what they are doing. Go back 20 years when most of these decisions were penalties defenders were coming out with their arms behind their backs.

It's too much of a grey area now. Too much room for complaints. Handball in the box should be a penalty

An interpretation that penalised ball to hand would be far easier to exploit and result in utter farce.

Unless of course you make an exception for when the attacking player directed the ball at the defenders hand deliberately but then you're back where you started.

Anyone who considers this not deliberate is a moron.JMHB_zps8qcbtgkx.gif

Now that you mention it...

Thumb boy does seem to aim for Meekings' hand.

Anyone who considers this not deliberate is a moron. JMHB_zps8qcbtgkx.gif

Yup, his arm moves into an unnatural position to block the ball, it's as deliberate a handball as you're likely to see. The only thing that gif doesn't show is Meekings flinging his head back to con the officials.

If ICT have any respect for their fans, their players, the Scottish Cup as a competition, or Scottish football as a whole, they will refuse to play him in the final.

It's probably Meekings older team-mates I feel the most sorry for, knowing that this might be the most prestigious competition they win and it's completely and utterly tainted. :(

edit: excessive quotery.

Loving the tear stained body language experts grasps at straws which are no longer there.

Meekings was cleared. Celtic's treble is gone. Deal with it.

Up to 63 pages now, but have there been any complaints from anyone whose team is actually still involved in the competition and, therefore, matters in any way?

Loving the tear stained body language experts grasps at straws which are no longer there.

What a bizarre post. :huh:

The other day you said Meekings deserved a ban.

Archived