Explain Mr Fixtures Man

theweepieman

Are you 12?

Like I said, if you like league cup sectionals, knock yourself out. Over in civilisation we've moved to something more progressive. If this is all you can come back with there's no point trying to keep to the point of the thread.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said, if you like league cup sectionals, knock yourself out. Over in civilisation we've moved to something more progressive. If this is all you can come back with there's no point trying to keep to the point of the thread.

You said you couldn't be arsed arguing about it , that's why I suggested you were acting like a petulant kid who goes in a huff if someone dares to disagree with you.

If I'd known you were just gonna poopoo my argument with words like 'nonsense' , 'rubbish' & 'bollocks' I wouldn't have bothered posting my opinion. It seems like you've worked out an effective way to win an argument , just fill a post with all them cleverly thought out words.

Still waiting for you to tell me why March to November is nonsense?

I'm sure you'll think of something ........

You said you couldn't be arsed arguing about it , that's why I suggested you were acting like a petulant kid who goes in a huff if someone dares to disagree with you.

If I'd known you were just gonna poopoo my argument with words like 'nonsense' , 'rubbish' & 'bollocks' I wouldn't have bothered posting my opinion. It seems like you've worked out an effective way to win an argument , just fill a post with all them cleverly thought out words.

Still waiting for you to tell me why March to November is nonsense?

I'm sure you'll think of something ........

Taking this issue back into yet another thread about summer football wasn't going to add any value to the point raised. It doesn't actually matter when the game is played - there isn't really a good reason for not allocating a home game for 3 months to a club. There was a separate point raised that clubs might prefer the certainty of more league fixtures by way of assuring income. That's an issue in a 12 team league. 16 teams with 15 home league games seems to be working well in the East although it is still early days. I've no desire to fall out with you or win arguments. I've repeatedly said that if you think differently then stick with it. I'm delighted the farce that was our league cup is gone - and I speak as a supporter of the team who won the thing for its last 5 seasons.

Taking this issue back into yet another thread about summer football wasn't going to add any value to the point raised. It doesn't actually matter when the game is played - there isn't really a good reason for not allocating a home game for 3 months to a club. There was a separate point raised that clubs might prefer the certainty of more league fixtures by way of assuring income. That's an issue in a 12 team league. 16 teams with 15 home league games seems to be working well in the East although it is still early days. I've no desire to fall out with you or win arguments. I've repeatedly said that if you think differently then stick with it. I'm delighted the farce that was our league cup is gone - and I speak as a supporter of the team who won the thing for its last 5 seasons.

Listen , this thread is about the fixture farce through here in the west. Posters were calling for some sort of full season fixture list. Seems impossible to do so given the inclement weather we have to endure for a large chunk of the season.

I suggested changing the season from March to November as probably the only solution to this 'holy grail' of a full season fixture list.

If we gave this a try & it doesnt work , then by all means revert back to what we have now.

Binning cups & scottish cup replays (which has also been suggested) wouldn't be an issue if we had the balls to change the season away from winter time. For you to say that its nonsense without discussing it is just burying your head in the sand.

The Lowland League and Highland league can arrange half / full season fixture lists, you don't need summer football for it. You simply play Junior Cup 3rd or 4th Round mid November then restart mid February. League games can then be scheduled during worst months of winter which means if they are off doesn't affect the next Saturdays fixture. The week after Junior Cup Rounds could be 'provisional' or even Regional Cup (Ayrshire / West / Central) games and changed if draws / postponements.

Anyway as Bul has said if clubs on here really want change then contact him, if not then we are obviously not that bothered.

It is a very hard job for little pay and lot of dealing with calls / emails at all times of your day but some more thought by giving teams alternate fixtures as much as possible. The no home games for Largs for so long makes it hard for them to pay players in a team already struggling in the league so putting long standing clubs at risk by not giving teams home fixtures.

Cant believe no one has mentioned the "cant play until the third week of July" rule. Get rid of this IMO. It should be up to the clubs if they want to play friendlies before then, not a stupid outdated rule that is only there to boost the coffers of the region/association should anyone get caught playing an "unauthorised" game.

You should be able to go to a match on most Saturdays and know who you are playing the next week as people then make alternative plans. Also for increasing number of people who work weekends if you know dates of home / interesting games you can then arrange time off work. I had someone email me about taking out hospitality for a Meadow game this season but needed some notice of home game as coming from Elgin. Hopefully Talbot home game or West Cup game we will have a few weeks notice that at home but if not then that's club lost potential support and hospitality.

The half-wit that is responsible for compiling our fixtures is a complete BELL END.

His attitude seems to be to try and wind as many junior clubs up as possible, which he succeeds in doing regularly.

Why on earth he can not replicate what our neighbours in the East league manage to achieve and release a full seasons league fixtures at the start of the season is beyond me.

We need this arsehole removed at the next opportunity before we lose more clubs due to lack of regular gate income!!!!!!

Just on your last bit how many clubs in the west region have we lost in the last 20 years? One? Stonehouse? For the last ten years i have been reading we will be losing clubs and it's not materialised. Junior clubs are resilient and the vast majority will continue for many many years to come, they just need a bit more help from the powers that be .

I agree with you that the vast majority of clubs will always be here , but things could be better with some help from the people at the top.

Stonehouse as you said have been lost , but in recent times we've also lost, off the top of my head , Baillieston , Blantyre Celtic & Glenboig.

I agree with you that the vast majority of clubs will always be here , but things could be better with some help from the people at the top.

Stonehouse as you said have been lost , but in recent times we've also lost, off the top of my head , Baillieston , Blantyre Celtic & Glenboig.

You're stretching the definition of "recent" a little here but I get your point.

We have gained Rossvale though, and hopefully a new club is about to emerge in Airdrie.

There are quite a few good Amatuer clubs, and even underage ones which could make the step up if they saw the benefits of coming into the juniors, New clubs are not uncommon in the North area and Tayport did spectacularly well for a long period after they joined.

You're stretching the definition of "recent" a little here but I get your point.

We have gained Rossvale though, and hopefully a new club is about to emerge in Airdrie.

There are quite a few good Amatuer clubs, and even underage ones which could make the step up if they saw the benefits of coming into the juniors, New clubs are not uncommon in the North area and Tayport did spectacularly well for a long period after they joined.

Take on board what you say about 'recent'. It must be an age thing with me! Is seems like only yesterday , but I think both Blantyre Celtic & Glenboig went defunct late '80's - early '90's & Baillieston about 10 yrs ago. I'm sure somebody will clear this up.

Why on earth he can not replicate what our neighbours in the East league manage to achieve and release a full seasons league fixtures at the start of the season is beyond me.

I can't believe a fixture list is still deemed unworkable. Just out of curiosity, here's a question for our friends from the East - what difference has a regular fixture list made to your clubs?

Bigger crowds & gate receipts? Increased sponsorship? More hospitality income? Or not really any difference at all??

We've not got one! We did get fixtures from start of season to mid October but once the junior cup second round kicks in life gets too difficult. What I haven't seen are huge rumblings of discontent.

There have been several very practical fixtures switches and it feels like the fixtures are released if they can be.

I'd still like to see us embrace a full calendar of league fixtures with a bit more of this practical adjustment technique being used to resolve issues where a team is left without a game as a result of junior cup replay or postponement. That could potentially mean far fewer fixtures issued at a weeks notice. Then again, you plan your hospitality on what you know only to find you're having to switch it and disappoint folk.

Rob roy guy are u the fixture man cause what I read U seem to be defending him in a lot of fronts which is pissin folk off even more

Trying to bring a bit of balance that's all. You get a lot of hysteria on here at times.

Potential and reality of compiling a fixtures list.

Using Linlithgow as an example, our game against Culter and Camelon took weeks to complete (mixture of weather and a draw) during which time we arranged a game against another team who had a cancelled fixture.

So we lost a number of scheduled fixtures and played a fixture totally unscheduled. We are now sitting on 15 games to Kelty 21 games played in the league.

Some of these games could have been local cup ties so that has a knock on effect to the other clubs we have to play. Does that team just not play because their game is cancelled due to a delayed/replay in the Scottish? It also then holds up the future rounds so any fixture list would quickly obsolete.

The solution a load of fixtures midweek at the end of the season or by teams playing under the floodlights. The latter option is a non starter as to many teams don't have lights.

So it isn't as simple as producing a fixture list when you are dependent on teams not drawing or the weather not being inclement at any point during the season.

Ok you play more games in August when it's light - but then you have a mild winter and no replays and some teams are finished by February (which has happened)

The solution for me is that teams who are struggling with a pile of fixtures should be encouraged/forced to utilise floodlights.

Trying to bring a bit of balance that's all. You get a lot of hysteria on here at times.

Fair enough RobRoyGuy. Trying to sort fixtures on the hoof after loads of postponements is a nightmare.

The real issue isn't Fixtures Man but that too many fixtures are scheduled for leagues that are plagued by call-offs. Better facilities, better weather, or fewer fixtures would probably solve it.

P.S. - Don't see why West can't keep their Sectional Cups but punt all friendlies instead. Make us of the third-weekend-in-July rule to get started early, and schedule in a few blanks for late March/early April to get the leagues sorted before the season's finale...

Archived