Explain Mr Fixtures Man

theweepieman

Maybe the Glasgow teams aren't as bothered about the Sectional Cup so then would out vote the Ayrshire District teams who would wish to keep it as not read that much about how they view Sectionals on here?!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally like most on here i would now get rid of the sectional cup at the start of the season. In turn your district cup competition will take on greater value and actually be of more value and worth taking seriously.

Ok some miss out on big local derby games but most of these games at the start of the season are uncompetitive , glorified friendlies. Play them in pre season friendlies if they mean that much .

A revamp of the leagues are now needed, 16 top team league is a must.

As for the fixture man, in all honesty i have never had a real gripe with him or heard anyone at the games i go to moan about him. I realise i will be in the minority on that.

Just thinking along the lines that a steady income from a properly scheduled league fixtures list of h/a every other week is preferable to clubs than the disruption that replays can cause to the fixtures.

There's provision in the rulebook for the league season to start in July, but I suppose there's friendlies to think of.

You could have the cup sections beginning (instead of friendlies) on the third weekend in July, which is the earliest date available, so the league could then start in early-mid August, the fixtures would be spread out better, and there'd be less chance of the daft runs of fixtures that clubs sometimes have to deal with.

Why should the sectional ties be binned? Most teams use them as a pre-season warm up and a chance to try new players and formations. I know of very few teams who take it really seriously until the knockout stages.

Bin the sectionals and most teams would just arrange a few friendlies instead, which will attract tiny gates, earn clubs nothing and have everyone moaning they're not competitive.

Then we'll get threads on here saying, "Bring back the sectionals"

Why should the sectional ties be binned? Most teams use them as a pre-season warm up and a chance to try new players and formations. I know of very few teams who take it really seriously until the knockout stages.

Bin the sectionals and most teams would just arrange a few friendlies instead, which will attract tiny gates, earn clubs nothing and have everyone moaning they're not competitive.

Then we'll get threads on here saying, "Bring back the sectionals"

Pre season warm up costing full admittance fee that's what they are...a waste of time, wages and a thing of the past. Bigger leagues would mean the season starting when the sectionals do now...real competitive matches not kick abouts...that's what's wrong with the West...stuck in the past...the answer's in the East.

Pre season warm up costing full admittance fee that's what they are...a waste of time, wages and a thing of the past. Bigger leagues would mean the season starting when the sectionals do now...real competitive matches not kick abouts...that's what's wrong with the West...stuck in the past...the answer's in the East.

No, "real competitive matches" starting when the sectionals currently do just now would mean friendlies begin weeks before that. And given the season has finished late for the last few seasons, that would mean an 11 1/2 month season. Is that progress?

Pretty sad that you complain about a lousy fiver as 'full admittance fee'.

Unfortunately too many seem to regard themselves as customers now more than supporters.

Unfortunately too many seem to regard themselves as customers now more than supporters.

Whit a load of feckin drivel,the juniors is struggling for fans...what we don't need is pointless games..we need real competition, genuine 50\50 matches no the walkover you get in Sectional cups...why would a potential " customer " pay full whack for a glorified friendly ?.

No, "real competitive matches" starting when the sectionals currently do just now would mean friendlies begin weeks before that. And given the season has finished late for the last few seasons, that would mean an 11 1/2 month season. Is that progress?

How do you work that out ?

The league would start the same day as the sections normally would.

Anybody from the East Region want to tell us how it can possibly work.. deary me.

Whit a load of feckin drivel,the juniors is struggling for fans...what we don't need is pointless games..we need real competition, genuine 50\50 matches no the walkover you get in Sectional cups...why would a potential " customer " pay full whack for a glorified friendly ?.

Not often I disagree with you clash but I do so here . :)

I like the Ardagh cup and enjoy getting out the house for the midweek games when the sun is often shining and it breaks up a mundane week at work in attending a game at night time.

When we got beaten recently in the Ardagh cup final down at Troon on penalties I was completely gutted and if anyone who was in the general vicinity after we got beaten had said to me that we had just been beaten in a " glorified friendly tournament " then I think I would probably have snapped at them .

As for the fiver entrance fee ; to put it into perspective my st mirren workmates are being charged £20 to visit rugby park today - Is this 4 times the standard and value of an Ardagh cup game ?

Likewise it was £15 for me to watch a third tier Scottish league game at cappielow involving Morton v Dunfermline months ago when beith had no game . Again is this 3 times the standard and value of an Ardagh cup game involving the club you love ?? Again its a NO for me.

I just love watching my team regardless and the value of a fiver can't be beaten and it only equates to under two pints of lager and if given the choice of sitting watching live football on the tv during the week or heading to watch my own team then the latter wins all the time .

As for fixture congestion I think straight to penalties at the first time of asking in Scottish cup matches wouod be a bit harsh so is there scope to maybe introduce extra time then penalties if needed in say the first couple of rounds which would eradicate replays and further games / postponement potential ? I realise that kick off times would need to be earlier to accommodate extra time but ET before penalties is far more forgiving than just straight to penalties in only one game.

And if we could try and escape having Scottish cup games in say December / January when quite often the worst weather kicks In then maybe this could help fixture congestion as your biggest nightmare is being drawn away to a team who's games are often cancelled as it can joepordise your entire league campaign.

But that's exactly what they are and always have been, no matter how much it is spinned as "supporters" in order to encourage an emotional attachment to ensure they continue parting with their cash even when times are hard.

We live in a world where there are more options for leisure than ever before, that being the case clubs cannot expect our money as their god given right. Football clubs aren't "causes" to be backed, they are there to provide a service of entertaining us in what little leisure time and with what spare money we have, and if that entertainment isn't good enough for the price asked, we will go elsewhere because life's too short to go throwing away good money after bad.

I dare say some of the sadder types - for whom the reflected glory of backing a winning team is all that matters - will happily pay full whack to watch some hapless hamlet side getting Cowdenbeathed by their favourites, but locals of the lamb-to-the-slaughter in question are less likely to bother toddling along, let alone go away from home to watch it: and they're exactly the people the Juniors need to start bringing back if clubs are to survive.

Not often I disagree with you clash but I do so here . :)

I like the Ardagh cup and enjoy getting out the house for the midweek games when the sun is often shining and it breaks up a mundane week at work in attending a game at night time.

When we got beaten recently in the Ardagh cup final down at Troon on penalties I was completely gutted and if anyone who was in the general vicinity after we got beaten had said to me that we had just been beaten in a " glorified friendly tournament " then I think I would probably have snapped at them .

As for the fiver entrance fee ; to put it into perspective my st mirren workmates are being charged £20 to visit rugby park today - Is this 4 times the standard and value of an Ardagh cup game ?

Likewise it was £15 for me to watch a third tier Scottish league game at cappielow involving Morton v Dunfermline months ago when beith had no game . Again is this 3 times the standard and value of an Ardagh cup game involving the club you love ?? Again its a NO for me.

I just love watching my team regardless and the value of a fiver can't be beaten and it only equates to under two pints of lager and if given the choice of sitting watching live football on the tv during the week or heading to watch my own team then the latter wins all the time .

But that's just it Hertha, the midweek games are good for you, the fiver pop is value for money for you, but for the vast majority it isn't and that's why they vote with their feet to do something else instead - in droves.

That game at Rugby Park between Kilmarnock and The Midden? Yes the vast majority of fans there would say it's worth paying four times more. If you are going to endure 2 hours inside a football ground for what may prove to be a dross game, it's less will-to-live sapping if at least it is being held in a comfortable stadium with excellent facilities and catering on offer, same as if you're going to a cinema to watch a movie it's not so bad if it's a comfortable multiplex rather than the Glasgow Film Theatre with good munchies to graze whilst hoping the film might get better as it goes along.

The only march the Juniors have to steal on the SPFL clubs in that sense is having social club bars inside the grounds, not all of them have this, and most that do can't cope with the half time rush - all too often by the time you get served the second half has started so you may as well save your thirst for some local pub after the game.

But that's exactly what they are and always have been, no matter how much it is spinned as "supporters" in order to encourage an emotional attachment to ensure they continue parting with their cash even when times are hard.

We live in a world where there are more options for leisure than ever before, that being the case clubs cannot expect our money as their god given right. Football clubs aren't "causes" to be backed, they are there to provide a service of entertaining us in what little leisure time and with what spare money we have, and if that entertainment isn't good enough for the price asked, we will go elsewhere because life's too short to go throwing away good money after bad.

I dare say some of the sadder types - for whom the reflected glory of backing a winning team is all that matters - will happily pay full whack to watch some hapless hamlet side getting Cowdenbeathed by their favourites, but locals of the lamb-to-the-slaughter in question are less likely to bother toddling along, let alone go away from home to watch it: and they're exactly the people the Juniors need to start bringing back if clubs are to survive.

But that's just it Hertha, the midweek games are good for you, the fiver pop is value for money for you, but for the vast majority it isn't and that's why they vote with their feet to do something else instead - in droves.

That game at Rugby Park between Kilmarnock and The Midden? Yes the vast majority of fans there would say it's worth paying four times more. If you are going to endure 2 hours inside a football ground for what may prove to be a dross game, it's less will-to-live sapping if at least it is being held in a comfortable stadium with excellent facilities and catering on offer, same as if you're going to a cinema to watch a movie it's not so bad if it's a comfortable multiplex rather than the Glasgow Film Theatre with good munchies to graze whilst hoping the film might get better as it goes along.

The only march the Juniors have to steal on the SPFL clubs in that sense is having social club bars inside the grounds, not all of them have this, and most that do can't cope with the half time rush - all too often by the time you get served the second half has started so you may as well save your thirst for some local pub after the game.

And what are the senior fans doing ?

Abandoning their product in their droves as you allude to with the junior fans.

Believe me these very few remaining st mirren fans only still go because its habitual and I speak to a few of them who don't really enjoy the product one bit but they still go because its what they've always done .

I reckon that there must be tens of thousands of senior fans just like them who are getting skull fucked out of between £20 /£30 per away game every second week not to mention midweek games too .

I would rather be happy living out of a cheap

And cheerful junior greasy spoon kitchen than a grossly inflated senior Michelin star kitchen that looks great from the outside but fails to deliver when you get closer to the nitty gritty of the product .

And what are the senior fans doing ?

Abandoning their product in their droves as you allude to with the junior fans.

Yes, but they have enough fans to lose in the first place. Moreover, the Midden and Killie fans meanwhile can be relied upon to sneak back once the good times return and there's the whiff of Brasso in the air.

When a Junior fan is lost these days, it is often for good and never replaced.

Yes, but they have enough fans to lose in the first place. Moreover, the Midden and Killie fans meanwhile can be relied upon to sneak back once the good times return and there's the whiff of Brasso in the air.

When a Junior fan is lost these days, it is often for good and never replaced.

Every club at every level will have fans who turn out for the trophy hand out and the glory hunting if there's no other word for it . As for senior teams being able to lose fans ? Well if one is lost then its too many surely regardless of level?

You can't ever slate these people who only turn up for the trophy wins as they're damned if they don't turn up and damned if they do at times .

If Ayr for example reach the Scottish cup final then they're taking over 20,000 to hampden , the day we were handed the league title at Bellsdale against talbot we had over 1,100 at the game and today against petershill we will probably be having only just over 200 fans with a good portion being from petershill . This is the nature of the beast as the other 900 people were there for the moment when we won the league and lots were various generations of families who were out to grasp the feeling of community in the town that given day.

Lots more were friends and family of our players who correctly wanted to soak up the occasion .

The point I'm making is that all things being equal today entertainment wise between Kilmarnock v st mirren at rugby park at £20 for visiting fans or £5 for petershill fans at Bellsdale then I think that there is far more value in the latter.

Wouldn't you agree?

Archived