Safe Standing

There's a story on the stv sport site about safe standing, and generally everyone seems to be in favour. It just seems to be financial issues that are stopping it from happening. I know I'd love terracing back, at least in some form. But is it really that expensive? Can clubs get some money back from selling their seats second hand (potentially).

I'm sure there is a bunch of information out there - but are people wanting it to happen? Will it improve the atmosphere / crowd size and marketability of the league as a whole?

edit to add - another story with 90% of fans canvassed backing the idea

There's a story on the stv sport site about safe standing, and generally everyone seems to be in favour. It just seems to be financial issues that are stopping it from happening. I know I'd love terracing back, at least in some form. But is it really that expensive? Can clubs get some money back from selling their seats second hand (potentially).

I'm sure there is a bunch of information out there - but are people wanting it to happen? Will it improve the atmosphere / crowd size and marketability of the league as a whole?

edit to add - another story with 90% of fans canvassed backing the idea

For once I'll actually believe the clubs when referring to the expense. I would imagine it must be a costly project to install. The price of selling on cheap, faded plastic seating would be minuscule.

That said, let's hope United go ahead and we'll take it from there.

Just because you back the idea doesn't mean you have to do it. Clubs don't need to feel under pressure to introduce it to their own stadium but all clubs should be actively supporting the notion.

I'd imagine rail seating would be a wise investment for the future, considering they'll last longer than plastic seats. Especially when the likes of celtic visit your ground.

It's just a shame it's not happened before now. Hopefully it's agreed soon so in the future clubs like QoS won't need to install seating into their terraces and instead get to put rail seats in.

Just because you back the idea doesn't mean you have to do it. Clubs don't need to feel under pressure to introduce it to their own stadium but all clubs should be actively supporting the notion.

I'd imagine rail seating would be a wise investment for the future, considering they'll last longer than plastic seats. Especially when the likes of celtic visit your ground.

It's just a shame it's not happened before now. Hopefully it's agreed soon so in the future clubs like QoS won't need to install seating into their terraces and instead get to put rail seats in.

Why would a club like QOTS need to put rail seats on their terracing?

Why would a club like QOTS need to put rail seats on their terracing?

Because current rules don't allow old terraces in the top flight I believe? Ross County had to upgrade their jail end when they gained promotion - I assume the same would be asked of QoS if they were promoted.

I hope Celtic get permission. Until Celtic or Rangers are allowed it we won't be allowed it; that's the way it works in Glasgow.

Not that we really need it - we stand in the North Stand anyway. Something to lean on/bang my head against would be good though.

Standing is perfectly safe as long as areas are not over crowded but then seating is not safe if you overcrowd it either. Standing did not cause Hillsborough it was caused by having too many people in the section, poor policing, a poorly maintained stadium not fit for purpose and the major cause was the stupid fence at the front preventing escape onto the pitch which would of saved them that day (Cage the animals) thank you the Sun. Blaming standing and forcing people to sit was an easy out for the suits. People should be allowed to have the choice rugby has had staning since Hillsborough, this rail standing (safe standing) seems over the top as there was nothing wrong with the old crush barriers but it is probably the only way we can get it back. Make behind the goals standing and the sides seating giving people a choice or if grounds have less stands put seats at the front standing at the back to not obstruct anyones view. Of course clubs shouldn't be forced to do it but then they shouldn't have been forced to put in seats in the first place which put many in financial trouble paying for it. Let teams who want it have it `and then clubs can put it in as they want.

Correct me if i'm wrong but obviously we had standing forced upon us because of Hillsborough (England) I'm in my 30's so maybe some of the older guys will know, were there any crowd incidents in Scotland related to overcrowding in standing sections? I know Ibrox but that wasn't caused by standing as it was the exit staircase which I believe would of happened seating or standing.

Correct me if i'm wrong but obviously we had standing forced upon us because of Hillsborough (England) I'm in my 30's so maybe some of the older guys will know, were there any crowd incidents in Scotland related to overcrowding in standing sections? I know Ibrox but that wasn't caused by standing as it was the exit staircase which I believe would of happened seating or standing.

I can definitely remember being crushed. My uncle took me to a Celtic v Motherwell cup game at Hampden, (0-0) and Motherwell won the replay, (Steve Kirk scored I think). The official crowd was total nonsense as I saw loads of people jumping the old turnstiles and putting their kids over. It was really scary in that crowd, (Motherwell hit the bar and I was moved about 15 feet with the crowd just gesticulating).

We asked a policeman outside the ground how many he thought were in the ground and he said close to 100,000 when there was meant to be around 70,000. That was the problem - there could easily have been the same type of incident up here.

I think the standing issue is a red herring, the seats were introduced for reasons of control and defined capacity at grounds. All ticket stadia with modern turnstiles and safety certificates should solve this issue easily but I believe politicians are afraid of the stigma of standing due to the association with Hillsborough.

Looking back at such times, you wonder why they let shit like that happen. You wouldn't put 5000 in a seated area that had a capacity for only 2500 for example.

Never felt even remotely 'unsafe' while standing at Somerset, even in the big games when the Somerset Road End is packed. As long as the club knows the number of people that can be accomodated and doesn't balls up the ticketing, there is no issue.

This safe-standing debate is simply evidence of football fans still paying the price for Yorkshire Police having an absolute mare in one isolated incident.

Never felt even remotely 'unsafe' while standing at Somerset, even in the big games when the Somerset Road End is packed. As long as the club knows the number of people that can be accomodated and doesn't balls up the ticketing, there is no issue.

This safe-standing debate is simply evidence of football fans still paying the price for Yorkshire Police having an absolute mare in one isolated incident.

I've felt unsafe in Somerset. Probably for different reasons though. (ducking out of the way of a bottle of Irn Bru being lobbed springs to mind). I miss those days.

I've felt unsafe in Somerset. Probably for different reasons though. (ducking out of the way of a bottle of Irn Bru being lobbed springs to mind). I miss those days.

Haha we're still being punished for the rogue, completely accidental Buckfast bottle that sailed into the Killie end over the segregation fence the last time yous were down here! the Polis haven't let the away fans up to the fence since that day. Scandalous over-reaction...

Archived