Do you recognise these Junior International players?

poity_uk

Help required! I know that this junior international line up was photographed between 1948 and 1953, but don't know which game it was. The only player I can recognise is Willie "Beef" Niven of Irvine Meadow, who is far right in the back row. The gent on the extreme left in the overcoat is John Kinnear, Secretary of the SJFA. I would be grateful for any help in identifying the other players. Over to you ...

post-31685-0-07043500-1425507057_thumb.j

Following up on Pricey's idea the Junior Scotland team that played at Windsor Park was selected en bloc to play a match as part of the Banks o' Dee Golden Jubilee celebrations on 23 March 1952. The match was played at what was then the Linksfield Stadium in Aberdeen. I am wondering if anyone with local knowledge can recognise the stand in the background as the old stand at Linksfield Stadium?

That could easily be the stand at Linksfield. The photo would have been taken looking north and those houses in the background look like the old council houses on Regent Walk, the two tall chimneys and shape of the roof on each is about right.

Westwater and McNab can't both be third left, are you counting players only, if so goalie is third left, clarify please.

Fergie i thought if anybody on this forum knew Wullie Westwater and Bert McNab it would have been you,why the daft comment about the keeper?.In your opinion as Kilsyth historian,is that Westwater?.

Thanks for the help, guys. Putting together the information from here and from a series of emails. I think the following is the story behind the photograph.

The photo shows the eleven players that beat Ireland 2-0 at Windsor Park on 23rd February, 1952. However, it was actually taken four weeks AFTER that game, when the Windsor Park team was selected en bloc to play Banks o' Dee on 23 March 1952 for the Aberdeen club's Golden Jubilee celebration match at Linksfield Stadium in Aberdeen. They were too good for the Aberdeen side and ran out 5-0 winners.

The photo, taken at Linksfield Stadium, shows the following lineup (players only):

Back row (l to R): Mair (Stonehouse Violet), Westwater (Dunipace), Lornie (Aberdeen St Clements), McNab (Petershill), Flannigan (Whitburn), Niven (Irvine Meadow. Captain).

Front Row (l to r): Hill (Jeanfield Swifts), Todd (Luncarty), Swan (Broxburn), Roy (Clydebank), Dunn (Jeanfield Swifts).

I may have matched some (or a lot) of the names to the wrong faces. Please correct me where I’ve gone wrong.

Counting players only,the first two back row from left are definitely Wullie Westwater,who three years later captained kilsyth to a scottish cup win and Bert McNab who is still the most capped player.

I’ve rearranged the names to take account of Pricey’s information about Westwater and McNab. (Thanks, Pricey!)

Back row (l to R): Westwater (Dunipace), McNab (Petershill), Lornie (Aberdeen St Clements), Mair (Stonehouse Violet), Flannigan (Whitburn), Niven (Irvine Meadow. Captain).

Front Row (l to r): Hill (Jeanfield Swifts), Todd (Luncarty), Swan (Broxburn), Roy (Clydebank), Dunn (Jeanfield Swifts).

I have probably matched some (or a lot) of the names to the wrong faces. Please correct me where I’ve gone wrong.

I am 90% sure Mair (Stonehouse Violet) is standing where you have him, i.e. to the right of the goalkeeper. I have a photograph of the 1953 team versus Wales and Mair, who appears to have taken over the captaincy from Willie Niven, is sitting in the middle of the front row and there is a clear facial resemblance. The 1953 team is lined up in traditional formation but the skipper has taken the middle of the front row .........and the ball!

Archived