Scotland Squad for N.Ireland and Gibraltar

I still feel Strachan is very reluctant to blood new players, only vogts was ever brave enough to do this. What we have is squad packed with players who have many failed campaigns under their belts and a pretty goals light squad.

Those who are two old for u21s armstrong, gms, griffiths etc progress is usually stalled as there is no progression into the full side.

This is usually hampered by the Englishman of the month squad policy that levein introduced and strachan carried on

Griffiths, Mackay-Steven and Armstrong have all been included in squads. Griffiths started at least 2 qualifiers under Strachan, possibly more. At the moment all of these guys have better players ahead of them in the pecking order, although I think Armstrong in particular will eventually go on to be a regular.

Off the top of my head, Strachan has given debuts to May, Russell, Mackay-Steven, Forsyth and Robertson who all fall under the description you gave.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vogts didn't have alot of options but to introduce new players. The bulk of Craig Brown's squad were on their way out or at end of their careers.

Most of the guys Vogts introduced that went on to become long serving players would likely have been capped by whoever was in charge. It's not like they were hidden gems. There were also some horrendous caps during his reign as manager.

Strachans selection policy by in large has been absolutely spot on for all his squads so far (barring the curious case of James Forrest)

Just for a laugh, here is Berti 1st and final Scotland squads

France 5-0 Scotland

1 Neil Sullivan 2 David Weir 3 Stephen Crainey 4 Paul Lambert capt.gif 5 Christian Dailly 6 Gary Caldwell 7 Douglas Freedman sub_out.gif (Gemmill, '46) 8 Dominic Matteo 9 Stephen Crawford sub_out.gif (Thompson, '63) 10 Colin Cameron sub_out.gif (Holt, '46) 11 Neil McCann

Moldova 1-1 Scotland

1 Craig Gordon 2 Gary Caldwell 3 Gary Naysmith sub_out.gif (Murray, '46) 4 Steven Caldwell 5 Andy Webster 6 Barry Ferguson capt.gif 7 Darren Fletcher sub_out.gif (Miller, '65) 8 Gary Holt 9 Steven Thompson sub_out.gif (McCulloch, '85) goal.gif '32 10 Stephen Crawford 11 Colin Cameron

Vogts didn't have alot of options but to introduce new players. The bulk of Craig Brown's squad were on their way out or at end of their careers.

Most of the guys Vogts introduced that went on to become long serving players would likely have been capped by whoever was in charge. It's not like they were hidden gems. There were also some horrendous caps during his reign as manager.

Strachans selection policy by in large has been absolutely spot on for all his squads so far (barring the curious case of James Forrest)

Forrest is hardly a left field choice.

He has been really highly rated by just about every coach at every level. He's got blistering pace and we've all seen in Anya what benefit this brings to the squad. Arguably he's a better all-round player than anya too.

Okay, he's been stop-start with injuries for 2 years or so and before that wasn't quite hitting the heights, but I totally get why Strachan wants him along.

Matt Ritchie at bournemouth is a class act. Seen his play a fews times this season, and I, m predicting he will have a great season in the premier ship next year. A great addition to the squad and will have the fans on the edge of there seats

Yeah, not sure that Vogts can really take credit for James McFadden and Darren Fletcher. Cause that's essentially what we're taking about here. He also capped Kevin Kyle 9 times and tried out all sorts of young players who have hardly been successful since.

And we shouldn't be revisionists here. There was an awful lot of frustration with Vogts that he didn't give McFadden a proper change earlier, and his tendency to play Fletcher wide right was also frustrating. All in all his policy of trying all sorts of players in friendly matches did us no good at all.

Hutchison has stated he was brought up by his scottish dad to feel scottish and even loved it when he scored against england. He was born and brought up in england so will always have that english connection but he has already made it crystal clear he feels scottish and was completely committed to playing for scotland.

That's enough of an attitude to prove to me that he should play for scotland. I don't get that with ritchie.

Judging every player individually I came to the conclusion that Hutchison offered enough evidence that he was passionate enough and had a big enough connection to play for the country.

How the f**k can anyone not understand this?

Hutchison was English but also felt Scottish. Ritchie is English but also feels Scottish. If Ritchie gives everything for Scotland then he will match exactly the same criteria as Hutchison.

Anya works hard and get involved in games. Forrest hides out on the touchline.

Think there was an element of that early on in his career, but IMO it's an outdated view. Take the League Cup Final, for example, where he was hardly 'hiding on the wing' when he took up position on the edge of the box to nail home the second goal. Equally, his insistence on taking the penalty (despite the outcome) suggests he is far from a timid player or one lacking confidence.

Gordopolis, on 21 Mar 2015 - 14:51, said:

Think there was an element of that early on in his career, but IMO it's an outdated view. Take the League Cup Final, for example, where he was hardly 'hiding on the wing' when he took up position on the edge of the box to nail home the second goal. Equally, his insistence on taking the penalty (despite the outcome) suggests he is far from a timid player or one lacking confidence.

Aye, I guess the main problem now with him is that he's utterly pish.

Aye, I guess the main problem now with him is that he's utterly pish.

Is he really 'pish' though or has he just had a horrendously stop-start few years?

Fast, technically good and still young. If he was some lost cause he wouldn't be in the squad.

Archived